Destructive Interference in Sound Waves

In summary, the problem involves two speakers driven by the same oscillator at a frequency of 140 Hz. They are located on a 4.45 m vertical pole and a man walks perpendicular to the pole towards the lower speaker. The man will hear a minimum in sound intensity twice and the first distances at which this happens will be when the sound waves from the two speakers are out of phase by half a wavelength. The wavelength was calculated to be 2.36 and the velocity of sound is assumed to be 330 m/s.
cmerickson21

Homework Statement

Two speakers are driven by the same oscillator whose frequency is 140 Hz. They are located on a vertical pole a distance of 4.45 m apart from each other. A man walks straight toward the lower speaker in a direction perpendicular to the pole.
(a) How many times will he hear a minimum in sound intensity?
(b) How far is he from the pole at these moments? Take the speed of sound to be 330 m/s and ignore any sound reflections coming off the ground. (Give the first distances at which this happens.)

Physics news on Phys.org
cmerickson21 said:

Homework Statement

Two speakers are driven by the same oscillator whose frequency is 140 Hz. They are located on a vertical pole a distance of 4.45 m apart from each other. A man walks straight toward the lower speaker in a direction perpendicular to the pole.
(a) How many times will he hear a minimum in sound intensity?
(b) How far is he from the pole at these moments? Take the speed of sound to be 330 m/s and ignore any sound reflections coming off the ground. (Give the first distances at which this happens.)

Welcome to PF. You might want to read this first:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=785408&postcount=1

What formulas do you think apply?

I figured out that he hears a minimum twice. I have tried finding the wavelength and then using the Peak to Valley overlap equation which should apply to destructive interference where PVO=(m+.5)lamda m=0,1,2,3,... but that isn't working. What am I doing wrong should I not be using that equation? Do you have any ideas what I should be doing?

cmerickson21 said:
I figured out that he hears a minimum twice. I have tried finding the wavelength and then using the Peak to Valley overlap equation which should apply to destructive interference where PVO=(m+.5)lamda m=0,1,2,3,... but that isn't working. What am I doing wrong should I not be using that equation? Do you have any ideas what I should be doing?

First of all what do you calculate for the wave length of the 140 hz sound wave?

Second of all at what point will the sound from two sources cancel each other out? They must be out of phase by how much? Which is what part of a wavelength?

I found the wavelength to be 2.36 by taking the velocity=330/the frequency=140. The sound will cancel out when the peak of one wave overlaps a valley of the other. Which will be when they are out of phase by half a wavelength.

cmerickson21 said:
I found the wavelength to be 2.36 by taking the velocity=330/the frequency=140. The sound will cancel out when the peak of one wave overlaps a valley of the other. Which will be when they are out of phase by half a wavelength.

That's what I get. OK. So if you move away from speaker A say, chosen for convenience as the problem is symmetrical, at what point is it that the sound from speaker A is exactly 1/2 wavelength out of phase with the two speakers?

1. What is destructive interference in sound waves?

Destructive interference in sound waves is a phenomenon that occurs when two sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and cancel each other out. This results in a decrease in the overall amplitude or loudness of the sound.

2. How does destructive interference affect the quality of sound?

Destructive interference can cause a decrease in the overall loudness of sound, making it quieter. It can also affect the clarity and tone of the sound, making it sound muffled or distorted.

3. What causes destructive interference in sound waves?

Destructive interference occurs when two sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet at opposite points in their cycle. This results in the waves being out of phase and canceling each other out.

4. Can destructive interference be beneficial in sound engineering?

Yes, destructive interference can be used in sound engineering to reduce unwanted noise or echoes. By strategically placing sound-absorbing materials, the destructive interference can cancel out the unwanted sound waves.

5. How can you prevent destructive interference in sound waves?

To prevent destructive interference, sound waves with different frequencies and amplitudes can be used. Additionally, the placement and direction of speakers and microphones can also be adjusted to minimize the chances of destructive interference.