Unit Vectors for Tangent Line at (\pi/6, 1)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding unit vectors parallel and perpendicular to the tangent line of the curve y=2sinx at the point (\pi/6, 1). The first step is to take the derivative, y'=2cosx, and substitute \pi/6 to find the slope, which is \sqrt{3}. The next step is to draw a small right-angle triangle and use the slope to determine the x and y components of the unit vectors. The final answer is (i+\sqrt{3}j) and (-i-\sqrt{3}j).
2RIP

Homework Statement

Find the unit vectors that are parallel to the tangent line to the curve y=2sinx at the point ([tex]\pi[/tex]/6, 1). Thereafter, find the unit vectors that are perpendicular to the tangent line.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of y=2sinx and got y'=2cosx. Then subbed in [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 and got slope=[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]. After this, I was totally confused about what to do next since I don't know how to put the function with respect to i, j. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing you should note is that dy/dx tells you how the unit vector x-y components are related to each other. Draw the tangent line at pi/6, and a really small right-angle triangle with the vertical length denoted dy and horizontal length dx. So, see what to do next?

you have slop which is rise over run . so rise will be j-hat and run will be i-hat.you don't have to find k-hat.just simplify square root of 3.

Oh yes, I think i got it now. Just to confirm is it (i+root3j) and (-i-root3j)? Thank you so much guys.

Last edited:
Don't see how you got that answer. Might want to re-check your working.

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is used to represent direction. It is typically denoted by a lowercase letter with a hat ( ̂) on top, such as ă.

2. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, divide the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with the same direction, but a magnitude of 1.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors in mathematics?

Unit vectors are important in mathematics because they allow us to define and represent direction in a standardized way. They also play a crucial role in vector operations and calculations.

4. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It is used to approximate the behavior of a curve near that point.

5. How are unit vectors and tangent lines related?

Unit vectors can be used to represent the direction of a tangent line at a given point on a curve. The direction of the tangent line is given by the unit vector tangent to the curve at that point.