Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, the conversation was about solving the polynomial fraction (4x^4-8x^3+5x^2-2x-1)/(2x^2-3x-2) using partial fraction decomposition. The individual was unsure if they had set up the problem correctly and asked for clarification. After receiving a hint, they were able to solve the problem successfully.
protivakid

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{4x^{4}-8x^{3}+5x^{2}-2x-1}{2x^{2}-3x-2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started of by breaking the bottom part down into (2x+1)(x-2) which then allowed me to set...
[tex]\frac{A}{(2x+1)}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{B}{(x-2)}[/tex]

The problem is from here I tried synthetic division however it gave me an answer that did not make any sense. Am I setting this up right or have I messed up already? Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you forgot to include the step of dividing the polynomial fraction such that the degree of the numerator polynomial is less than that of the denominator's.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't forget to put it in, I forgot to do it lol. I'm still learning how to do all these problems so even obvious hints make a world of difference to me. I managed to completely solve it from there so thank you.

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in mathematics and engineering to simplify a rational function into several simple fractions. This allows for easier integration, differentiation, and other calculations.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful because it allows for simpler manipulation and calculations of rational functions. It also allows for solving more complex equations and systems of equations.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

The process of partial fraction decomposition involves finding the partial fractions that make up a rational function by equating the coefficients of the terms in the numerator and denominator. This can be done using algebraic manipulation and solving a system of equations.

What types of rational functions can be decomposed using this method?

Partial fraction decomposition can be applied to any proper rational function, which is a function in the form of p(x)/q(x) where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using partial fraction decomposition?

There are certain limitations and restrictions when using partial fraction decomposition. The rational function must be proper, and the denominator must be factorable into linear and/or irreducible quadratic terms. Additionally, complex roots must be included in the decomposition if they are present in the original function.