Complex Number (Modulus/Phase)

In summary, the equation is given as \frac{z\theta_0^2}{-\theta^2+ 2i\theta\theta_0\phi+\theta_0^2}, where z and \phi are constants and \theta_0 is the initial theta. The question asks to find the modulus and phase associated with this equation. However, modulus and phase typically refer to a single complex number, not an equation. The attempt at a solution involves separating the equation into real and imaginary parts, but the resulting modulus expression does not simplify easily.
Air

Homework Statement

Equation: [itex]\frac{z\theta_0^2}{-\theta^2+ 2i\theta\theta_0\phi+\theta_0^2}[/itex]

Where [itex]z, \ \phi[/itex] are constant and [itex]\theta_0[/itex] is the initial theta. Find the modulus and the phase associated with this equation.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{z\theta_0^2}{-\theta^2+ 2i\theta\theta_0\phi+\theta_0^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the modulus, I separated the equation into real and imaginary and multiplied by the conjugate of the imaginary number to get it in the numerator and I got: [itex]=\frac{z\theta^2\phi - z\theta_0^2\phi}{\theta\phi} - \frac{z\theta_0}{2\theta\phi}i[/itex]. When doing the modulus, I get: [itex]\sqrt{\frac{4z^2\phi^2\theta^4-8\phi^2z^2\theta^2\theta_0^2+ 4z^2\theta_0^4\phi^2 +z^2\theta_0^2}{4\theta^2}\phi^2}[/itex] and this doesn't seem to simplify too well. Have I made a mistake or is there an easier method which I have missed? :confused: Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Air said:

Homework Statement

Equation: [itex]\frac{z\theta_0^2}{-\theta^2+ 2i\theta\theta_0\phi+\theta_0^2}[/itex]

Where [itex]z, \ \phi[/itex] are constant and [itex]\theta_0[/itex] is the initial theta

Find the modulus and the phase associated with this equation.
Modulus and phase apply to a single complex number. What do you mean by "modulus and phase associated with this equation"?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{z\theta_0^2}{-\theta^2+ 2i\theta\theta_0\phi+\theta_0^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the modulus, I separated the equation into real and imaginary and multiplied by the conjugate of the imaginary number to get it in the numerator and I got: [itex]=\frac{z\theta^2\phi - z\theta_0^2\phi}{\theta\phi} - \frac{z\theta_0}{2\theta\phi}i[/itex]. When doing the modulus, I get: [itex]\sqrt{\frac{4z^2\phi^2\theta^4-8\phi^2z^2\theta^2\theta_0^2+ 4z^2\theta_0^4\phi^2 +z^2\theta_0^2}{4\theta^2}\phi^2}[/itex] and this doesn't seem to simplify too well. Have I made a mistake or is there an easier method which I have missed? :confused: Thanks in advance for the help.

1. What is the definition of a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How is the modulus of a complex number calculated?

The modulus of a complex number, also known as its absolute value, is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. It can also be thought of as the distance of the complex number from the origin on the complex plane.

3. What is the significance of the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number represents its magnitude or size. It is useful in calculating distances and angles in the complex plane, as well as in various mathematical operations involving complex numbers.

4. How is the phase of a complex number determined?

The phase of a complex number, also known as its argument, is the angle between the positive real axis and a line connecting the complex number to the origin on the complex plane. It is typically measured in radians or degrees.

5. What is the relationship between the modulus and phase of a complex number?

The modulus and phase of a complex number are related through the trigonometric function tangent. Specifically, the phase is equal to the inverse tangent of the imaginary part divided by the real part. This relationship is known as the polar form of a complex number.