Discontinuous Conduction Mode (Buck-Converter)

In summary, DCM (Discontinuous Conduction Mode) works in a way that may seem counterintuitive at first. Instead of a lighter load leading to a longer discharge time, as one might expect, it actually results in a shorter discharge time. This is due to the average output current being below half of the change in current through the inductor. A TI application note further explains this concept.
Nissen, Søren Rune
Why does DCM work the way it does?

Because it makes no sense (To me, obviously).

Not how it works. Why it works. The intuitive form, to me, would be that a lighter load would mean more time before the loop discharges, (due to tau = L/R) but apparently it's the other way around in a buck converter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nissen said:
Why does DCM work the way it does?

Because it makes no sense (To me, obviously).

Not how it works. Why it works. The intuitive form, to me, would be that a lighter load would mean more time before the loop discharges, (due to tau = L/R) but apparently it's the other way around in a buck converter.

DCM happens because the average output current is below half of the delta-I through the inductor. This TI application note describes it pretty well:

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?baseLiteratureNumber=SLVA057

Thank you, I'll see if I can make sense of this.

What is Discontinuous Conduction Mode (Buck-Converter)?

Discontinuous Conduction Mode (DCM) is a method of operation for a Buck-Converter, which is a type of DC-DC converter used to step down a higher voltage to a lower voltage. In DCM, the inductor current drops to zero during each switching cycle, resulting in a discontinuous current waveform.

What are the advantages of using Discontinuous Conduction Mode?

One of the main advantages of using DCM in a Buck-Converter is improved efficiency. This is because the switching losses are reduced as the current through the inductor drops to zero, resulting in less heat dissipation. DCM also allows for a wider input voltage range and better control over the output voltage.

What are the disadvantages of using Discontinuous Conduction Mode?

One disadvantage of DCM is that it can result in higher output voltage ripple, which may require additional filtering. Additionally, DCM may not be suitable for high current applications as it can result in higher peak currents through the components, which can cause stress and potential failure.

How is Discontinuous Conduction Mode different from Continuous Conduction Mode?

In Continuous Conduction Mode (CCM), the inductor current never drops to zero during a switching cycle. This results in a continuous current waveform and can reduce output voltage ripple. However, CCM may lead to higher switching losses and decreased efficiency compared to DCM.

What factors affect the operation of a Discontinuous Conduction Mode Buck-Converter?

The main factors that affect the operation of a DCM Buck-Converter include the input voltage, output voltage, load current, and inductor and capacitor values. The duty cycle and switching frequency also play a role in determining the converter's performance. Additionally, the choice of components and their specifications can greatly impact the efficiency and stability of the converter in DCM.