Electrostatic force on a charge

In summary: So, in a way, his law is incomplete. Because at the time Coulomb did his work, the velocity-dependent force hadn't been discovered yet! So, in a way, his law is incomplete.
astro2cosmos
i was reading the book of Griffin - introduction to electrodynamics. it is written that the force of charge q on Q is not only depends on the distance b.w them but also the velocity & acceleration of charge q.then i think coloumb'law is incomplete at all. it must include some quantity for velocity or acceleration. ian't it right?
hope for this >>>>>>>>

Physics news on Phys.org
astro2cosmos said:
i was reading the book of Griffin - introduction to electrodynamics. it is written that the force of charge q on Q is not only depends on the distance b.w them but also the velocity & acceleration of charge q.then i think coloumb'law is incomplete at all. it must include some quantity for velocity or acceleration. ian't it right?
hope for this >>>>>>>>

Yes, "coloumb'law" is incomplete. This incompleteness is a topic within the field of electrodynamics (note the phrase *dynamics* as opposed to statics), an introduction to which is presumably given in the book you mentioned.

Yes. If you go further on in the book, you will get to the Lienard-Wiechert potentials which replace Coulomb's law for moving and accelerating charges.

astro2cosmos said:
it is written that the force of charge q on Q is not only depends on the distance b.w them but also the velocity & acceleration of charge q.then i think coloumb'law is incomplete at all. it must include some quantity for velocity or acceleration. ian't it right?

The dependence of the force on the velocity of q is usually called "magnetism." :biggrin:

jtbell said:
The dependence of the force on the velocity of q is usually called "magnetism." :biggrin:

yes it may right like it is something electromagnetic force b.w the particles, then why didn't coloumb mention it in his Law??

astro2cosmos said:
yes it may right like it is something electromagnetic force b.w the particles, then why didn't coloumb mention it in his Law??

Isn't Coulomb's Law confined to electrostatics? That might be why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

No v or a in his equation that I can see...

astro2cosmos said:

The man's name is Coulomb not "coloumb". He studied electricity a long time ago... He didn't get *everything* exactly right but he got pretty close. Cut the man some slack. Geez.

astro2cosmos said:
why didn't coloumb mention it in his Law??

Because at the time Coulomb did his work, the velocity-dependent force hadn't been discovered yet!

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of their electric fields.

What is the equation for calculating electrostatic force?

The equation for electrostatic force is F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

How does the distance between two charges affect the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases.

What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic force is Newtons (N).

How does the sign of the charges affect the electrostatic force between them?

The sign of the charges determines whether the force between them is attractive or repulsive. Opposite charges (positive and negative) attract each other, while like charges (both positive or both negative) repel each other.