Many universes like there are solar systems in a galaxy

In summary, the term used to describe multiple universes is "multiverse". However, there is debate over whether this is a valid concept as the definition of "universe" implies that there can only be one. Some suggest the term "parauniverse" for a universe with different physical laws, while others propose "environs" as a possible alternative. Ultimately, the definition of a universe is a system that is closed and has no observable effects on other universes.
sheldon
If there were many universes like there are solar systems in a galaxy and like there are many galaxies in the universe, What would you call it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Universe 2 the return

Originally posted by sheldon
If there were many universes like there are solar systems in a galaxy and like there are many galaxies in the universe, What would you call it?

A term already coined for this is "multi-verse".

Originally posted by jeff
A term already coined for this is "multi-verse".

Actually, I think Multiverse is being used specifically as the term that describes the different Universes produced by Schrodinger's Cat effect.

As far as there being may Universes, much like there are many solar systems, galaxies, etc... I say it's not possible, since "Universe" means "everything" or "all that exists", and you can't have more than one of those.

Originally posted by Mentat
Actually, I think Multiverse is being used specifically as the term that describes the different Universes produced by Schrodinger's Cat effect.

As far as there being may Universes, much like there are many solar systems, galaxies, etc... I say it's not possible, since "Universe" means "everything" or "all that exists", and you can't have more than one of those.
Bonjour,

Mentat, I like your point that "Universe" means "everything" and I would like to base my suggestion on ethymology. "Universe", IMHO, originates from poetry "one verset". Posing that the vicinity, we know, is one of many, I would suggest "Environs" (plural form of vicinity). Score it please.

Oh! What is Schrodinger's Cat effect?

I'd say that if the same physics laws work there, it's still our universe. I'd define another universe as one where the same laws do not work.

And I'd call it the parauniverse... :):)

Originally posted by Tail
I'd say that if the same physics laws work there, it's still our universe. I'd define another universe as one where the same laws do not work.

And I'd call it the parauniverse... :):)

Interesting...

But what defines a universe? How can we define the universe limits?

Originally posted by Doctor Luz
But what defines a universe? How can we define the universe limits?

a universe is, in essence, the largest system you can have that can still be closed. any event that happens in "another universe" can, by definition, have no obsevable effect in this one, otherwise what is to stop us from considering it a part of our universe?

1. How many universes are there?

The exact number of universes is unknown and is a topic of ongoing scientific research and debate. Some theories suggest that there may be an infinite number of universes, while others propose a finite but extremely large number.

2. Are all of these universes identical or different?

It is impossible to determine whether these universes are identical or different, as we currently have no way of observing or interacting with other universes. Some theories suggest that there may be slight variations among different universes, while others propose completely different laws of physics and realities.

3. How are these multiple universes formed?

There are various theories about the formation of multiple universes, including the idea of a "multiverse" where universes are constantly being created and destroyed. Other theories propose that universes are created through the process of inflation or through the collision of branes in string theory.

4. Do these universes have any connection to each other?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that these universes have any physical or causal connection to each other. However, some theories propose that these universes may exist in a larger "meta-universe" or that there may be a way for information to be exchanged between universes.

5. How does the existence of multiple universes affect our understanding of our own universe?

The concept of multiple universes challenges our understanding of our own universe and raises questions about the nature of reality and the limitations of human perception and understanding. It also has implications for the search for extraterrestrial life and the possibility of parallel versions of ourselves in other universes.