Calculating bolt size required to prevent beam bending

In summary, The conversation discusses the attachment of a side section of a water tank to a fixed bottom section with 4 bolts. The pressure on the section varies with depth and the individual is trying to determine the size and strength of bolts needed to prevent bending. They are also unsure if it is a varying uniform load beam problem or a point load problem. The conversation ends with a question about the corner forces on the other two sides.
Whatamiat
The attachment shows a side section of a water tank.(lined with Marine Ply)

The section will be bolted to a fixed bottom section with 4 bolts.

I'm trying to determine the size and strength of bolts required to do this.

My attempt at starting this problem is shown in the attachment.

Ive calculated the the hydrostatic force on the section.
The pressure on the section varies with depth from 9810pa to 0pa at the top.

Is this a varying uniform load beam problem?
Or is it a point load problem acting at the centroid of the triangle (2/3rds of the way down)

Am I wrong here?

Also where do I go from here to calculate the minimum strength of each of the four bolts to prevent the section from bending?

Attachments

• pressure on side.JPG
    pressure on side.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 621
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't follow what you are asking.

What about the corner forces with the other two sides?

1. What is the purpose of calculating bolt size to prevent beam bending?

The purpose of calculating the bolt size required to prevent beam bending is to ensure that the beam is adequately supported and can withstand the expected load without bending or breaking. This is important for the structural integrity and safety of the building or structure.

2. How is the bolt size determined for preventing beam bending?

The bolt size is determined by considering the type and size of the beam, the expected load and the material of the beam and bolts. There are also standardized tables and equations that can be used to calculate the appropriate bolt size based on these factors.

3. Can the bolt size be calculated for any type of beam?

Yes, the bolt size can be calculated for any type of beam as long as the necessary information such as the beam dimensions, material properties, and expected load is known. However, different types of beams may have different calculations and formulas for determining the bolt size.

4. How does the bolt size affect the strength of the beam?

The bolt size directly affects the strength of the beam by providing support and preventing bending. If the bolt size is too small, it may not be able to withstand the expected load and can lead to bending or breaking of the beam. On the other hand, if the bolt size is too large, it may not fit properly and can cause issues during installation.

5. Are there any safety considerations when calculating the bolt size for beam bending prevention?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when calculating the bolt size for preventing beam bending. It is important to not only consider the load on the beam but also potential external factors such as wind, earthquakes, and other natural forces. It is recommended to consult a structural engineer or follow established building codes and standards to ensure the safety of the structure.