What are some strategies for solving basic summation problems?

• Thread starter oddjobmj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, I'm having some difficulty understanding how to solve basic summation problems. I would appreciate any help not only solving this particular question but actually understanding the situation. Thanks!
oddjobmj
Hello,

I'm having some issues solving some apparently 'basic' summation problems where they give you a couple summations and you derive the missing summation.

I would appreciate any help not only solving this particular question but actually understanding the situation.

Thanks!

Homework Statement

Suppose:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] ak = 641
k=9

and

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] ak = 2091
k=70

and

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] ak = 130
k=70

Then:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] ak = ?
k=114

Homework Equations

I think everything relevant is provided above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to start. I've googled summation problems and read quite a bit more than what is in my text. I keep finding information on what I can already do; problems like:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] a-20 = ?
k=1

Where a is a constant instead of having the 'k' subscript so you can take (10-(1-1)) * (a-20).

Although, for some reason sticking the subscript onto a throws me off completely. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org

Draw it out.

70 113 114 507

So you have the sums from 70 to 113 and 70 to 507. How do you think you will get the required sum?

Indeed you've helped me find the solution! Thank you

I take the summation from 70-507 (2091) and subtract the summation from 70-113 (130).

Although, I guess I'm still not quite sure what's going on with the ak portion. I'd like to be able to better understand how to evaluate each particular summation listed above rather than taking the short route to the answer in this particular situation. It may not always be so clear.

Is there a way to evaluate those summations?

Thanks again!

I actually don't think so.

The subscript k is used to indicate different terms in the series. So for example, in the series of Fibbonacci numbers, you would have
a1 = 1
a2 = 1
a3 = 2
a4 = 3
a5 = 5
and so on. ak stands for a generic term, the kth term in the series. Here ak would be the kth Fibbonacci number. Or in the series of prime numbers, you'd have
a1 = 2
a2 = 3
a3 = 5
a4 = 7
a5 = 11
and so on. Here ak would be the kth prime number. The terms of a series can be decreasing, can be non-integers, negative, irrational, or whatever... for example
a1 = 1
a2 = 1/2
a3 = 1/4
a4 = 1/8
a5 = 1/16
etc. In this case, you could write a formula for the kth term in the series,
[tex]a_k = \frac{1}{2^{k-1}}[/tex]
(check it!) but in general that's not true. A series could even consist of completely random numbers. Generally you know absolutely nothing about the value of ak for any k, unless someone tells you what the numbers in the series are. And unless that's the case, you can't find the sum of the series.

Okay, so using the values I'm given for each of those summations I wouldn't be able to find 'a' without an unreasonable amount of work?

EDIT:

Also, for something like
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (35k-19) = ?
k=4

I understand that this is the sum of (35(4)-19) + (35(5)-19) + ... + (35(58)-19)

However, I can't find a way to derive a reasonable equation to calculate this without doing it all manually. I'm supposed to be able to do these on the test with a standard calculator without the sequence/summation functions built in. I doubt the goal here is for me to do 55 calculations and add them all.

I can find the answer without a problem using a graphing calculator. Although, I would like to derive an equation that would let me manage the calculation on a simple calculator. Is that possible?

Last edited:

You can't find the values of ak at all. They're not guaranteed to fall into a nice pattern. The point is that you know the sums from various numbers to various other numbers, and so by judiciously adding and subtracting all the sums you can get certain other sums even though they aren't given.

If you need to evaluate something a sum like that, you can use the fact that

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} k = \frac{n(n+1)}{2} [/tex]

In your example, you need the sum from 4 to 58, which is (58)(59)/2 - (3)(4)/2 = 1705

So your total sum would be (1705)(35) - (55)(19) = 58630

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you!

I see why 1705=k and how 35k fits into the first portion. Although, I'm not sure why you multiply the 19 in the original (35k-19) by the # of steps when the first bit isn't multiplied by the # of steps (55).

I see that you have found the right answer. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks again!

1705 is the sum of k for each step. I guess you could say that 19 is multiplied by one for each step, so:

[tex]\sum_{k=4}^{58} 1 = 55[/tex]

Ahh! Thanks guys!

I greatly appreciate your help. The quick Q&A changed my perspective completely on the topic.

1. What is the definition of summation?

Summation, also known as addition, is the mathematical operation of combining two or more numbers to get a total or sum. It is represented by the symbol ∑ and is often used to find the total value of a series of numbers.

2. How do you find the sum of a series of numbers?

To find the sum of a series of numbers, you can use the formula ∑(n) = a + (a + d) + (a + 2d) + ... + (a + (n-1)d), where n is the number of terms in the series, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between each term. Alternatively, you can add up all the numbers in the series manually to find the sum.

3. What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric summation?

Arithmetic summation involves adding a constant value to each term in a series, while geometric summation involves multiplying a constant value to each term in a series. In arithmetic summation, the difference between two consecutive terms is constant, while in geometric summation, the ratio between two consecutive terms is constant.

4. How do you solve a summation problem with exponents?

To solve a summation problem with exponents, you can use the formula ∑(n) = a(r^n-1)/(r-1), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Alternatively, you can expand the expression and use the formula for the sum of a geometric series, which is ∑(n) = a(1-r^n)/(1-r).

5. How can summation be used in real-life applications?

Summation is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating total expenses, finding the average of a set of values, and determining the total distance traveled. It can also be used in fields such as statistics, finance, and physics to analyze and interpret data.