Physics classes without a major

In summary: A physics degree is necessary for any research position in the physical sciences. A physics degree is necessary for any research position in the physical sciences.
Rlam90
So, I'm really interested in physics. I'd love to learn the ins and outs of the major theories such as General and Special Relativity as well as Quantum Mechanics. However, I don't believe that obtaining a degree with a major in physics is a wise career choice. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a substantial knowledge of physics without sacrificing my ability to find a non-research job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could just take classes for fun, or self-study. Or even a double major. There's no reason why you couldn't get all the knowledge you want, nothing is sacrificed.

What career are you considering?

I'm not entirely sure which career I would be interested in, but I was thinking of something more readily-available for hire. I have some faith that I would excel in accounting, engineering, or law. However, I do know that I'm not interested in research as more than a hobby in any field other than chemical or biological engineering. My main worry is that I do not know of any stable careers available to physics majors other than research for projects such as NASA and nuclear plants, and professors at universities. I don't have confidence that I am NASA material, nor do I wish to learn something only to be doomed to teach it for the rest of my life. However, I don't want to abandon the study altogether, as I have already invested much of my childhood and teenage life in it.

JesusInACan said:
I'm not entirely sure which career I would be interested in, but I was thinking of something more readily-available for hire. I have some faith that I would excel in accounting, engineering, or law. However, I do know that I'm not interested in research as more than a hobby in any field other than chemical or biological engineering. My main worry is that I do not know of any stable careers available to physics majors other than research for projects such as NASA and nuclear plants, and professors at universities. I don't have confidence that I am NASA material, nor do I wish to learn something only to be doomed to teach it for the rest of my life. However, I don't want to abandon the study altogether, as I have already invested much of my childhood and teenage life in it.

Sounds like engineering would be good for you. Lots of physics/math and very employable. Probably won't learn any GR/SR or Quantum Mechanics(in detail) IN the engineering degree, but, you could always take a few intro courses on mechanics/e&m/modern physics to see how you liked it. Usually the intro calc based physics sequence is a prerequisite for the upper level real courses, so you would probably have to take them before a specific course in GR or Quantum.

nlsherrill said:
Sounds like engineering would be good for you. Lots of physics/math and very employable. Probably won't learn any GR/SR or Quantum Mechanics(in detail) IN the engineering degree, but, you could always take a few intro courses on mechanics/e&m/modern physics to see how you liked it. Usually the intro calc based physics sequence is a prerequisite for the upper level real courses, so you would probably have to take them before a specific course in GR or Quantum.

Fair enough, I had already been desiring taking that class. As much information is available online, there's still nothing like a professionally-constructed educational course. Cheers for the thoughts.

One thing that is sort of funny is that the mathematics of quantum mechanics and general relativity are very heavily used in engineering, it's just that engineers and physicists don't often realize this.

What I'd do is to first work on getting mathematical literacy. Partial differential equations and tensor calculus are the things that you'll need to know, and you'll learn them in any engineering curriculum. Once you can do that, then you can audit an intro class on QM or general relativity.

Also QM is an required course for some types of engineering. If you plan to do any sort of deep semiconductor engineering, QM will be a required part of the curriculum.

GR is very rarely taught at the undergrad level; it will be hard to find a program offering it, and it will be hard to convince them you're qualified to take the course if you're not a physics major. SR is much easier; you can take that with very little physics background. QM is in between.

You'd need a PhD in physics to do research; a bachelors degree qualifies you for a large number of positions (not research) and is very employable (and pays better on average than any other major besides engineering with no grad/professional school). Certainly more employable than a law degree right now.

What are the benefits of taking physics classes without a major?

There are several benefits to taking physics classes without a major. Firstly, it can provide a strong foundation in the fundamentals of physics, which can be applied to a variety of fields such as engineering, medicine, and computer science. Secondly, it can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Finally, taking physics classes without a major can also enhance one's understanding of the natural world and the laws that govern it.

What types of physics classes are typically offered without a major?

Most universities offer introductory level physics classes without a major, which cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. Some universities also offer more specialized classes, such as astrophysics or biophysics, which can provide a deeper understanding of specific areas of physics.

Can I still pursue a career in physics without a major in the subject?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in physics without a major in the subject. Many industries, such as engineering and technology, value individuals with a strong understanding of physics principles. Additionally, there are opportunities for non-majors to work in research labs or pursue graduate studies in physics.

Are there any prerequisites for taking physics classes without a major?

The prerequisites for taking physics classes without a major may vary depending on the university and the specific class. However, most introductory level classes typically require a strong foundation in math, particularly calculus. It is important to check with the university or the specific class for any required prerequisites.

How can I make the most out of taking physics classes without a major?

To make the most out of taking physics classes without a major, it is important to stay engaged and actively participate in class. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as seeking out additional resources and opportunities for hands-on learning, can greatly enhance the learning experience. It is also beneficial to connect with classmates and professors for support and to form study groups.