Uh I need a runway, really let me explain

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: BMW has the "feel" nailed down. In summary, the bike is a work in progress that includes Ohlins shocks, a PUIG windscreen, Satos rear sets and racing hooks, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools, Heli bars, Pazzo Racing levers, custom paint, front/rear wheels, black on red, and custom paint, rear swingarm.
Cronexh,

Here is an example of what we were chatting about:

"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

In the corners the bike cannot keep up with the Porsche due to power and added contact patch (4 WD doesn't hurt either).

Rhody...

You have PM's turned off, so this is the only way you will (hopefully) see this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't want to try to own or maintain one, but I'd love for someone to give me a chance to drive one. What a beast!

I stumbled on this, I thought Ghost Rider had dibs on insanity, well this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XihQeZpwqpE&feature=player_embedded" gives that word a whole new meaning.

I winced trying to watch it, stopped it before it finished. If and when he does crash, I hope he takes himself out and no one else.

Unbelievable... really...

Rhody...

P.S. I noticed he has more video's, let's hope for the public's sake, not too many more. Can you say INS ?

It looks faked to me. I have done enough lane-splitting and stupid crap to kill us both, but the "sound-track" and video don't look right.

turbo-1 said:
It looks faked to me. I have done enough lane-splitting and stupid crap to kill us both, but the "sound-track" and video don't look right.

Turbo,

OK, I will bite, how did he fake it and second, why ? Could it be a wide angle lens on his camera making everything look distorted ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Turbo,

OK, I will bite, how did he fake it and second, why ? Could it be a wide angle lens on his camera making everything look distorted ?

Rhody...
The lens could be fairly normal. The occasional wheelies and motor sounds could be faked to make it look like he was blasting through traffic. I don't know WHY someone would have faked it, but it is best to take a conservative view, IMO. We have both probably have done enough stupid crap to get a couple of dozen newbies killed, but videos like this raise my BS filter.

rhody said:
The reason I need a runway, preferably a privately owned one is obvious. I am serious, after break-in period, 600 miles, the dealer sets the maximum revs to over 14K. Too many customers were doing damage to the engine, this is BMW's fix for it.
I am also interested in people who own their own secondary twisty roads in remote areas, for obvious reasons within a 250 mile radius of RI, where I live.

Oh, heavens! Just ship it to ... and I'll be more than happy to baby each and every model throughout its break-in period as per BMW's specifications! We not only have lots of twisty roads in remote areas here in Colorado, but I have access to unfettered 2-mile straight-a-ways.

mugaliens said:
Oh, heavens! Just ship it to ... and I'll be more than happy to baby each and every model throughout its break-in period as per BMW's specifications! We not only have lots of twisty roads in remote areas here in Colorado, but I have access to unfettered 2-mile straight-a-ways.

mug, FYI turbo,

HeHe, Get in-line behind turbo, he lives somewhat close by and if (and this is still a big if) I get a nice used enclosed trailer, I could skip up north with both bikes and we could find some twisties in upper VT, NH to ride. To be quite honest, top speed in a straight line is rather boring, the acceleration you get out of 1st, and 2nd gear does it for me, that and being at angle fighting for traction at the same time is really what I prefer.

Here is a short list of some of the things that HAVE occurred at high speed or near high speed over the years:

• Bumblebee off adam's apple
  • Hitting a bird with the top of my helmet
  • Coming out of a protected area (high speed), and having wind gust almost blow me off the road (scary)
  • Coming through a gulley in Arizona about 2 seconds after a band of wild horses crossed (in a small car, but it would not have helped much)
  • Having a hawk hit the top of my windshield with prey in tow while exiting a freeway toll booth (same trip as horses incident) you could see his talons from inside the car, he tumbled, not sure if he let go of the prey or not it was dark
  • Hitting a swarm of bugs the size of June bugs, slowed real quick on that one
  • Many close calls with furry four legged types, but no direct hits that caused loss of control.

Rhody...

Last edited:
rhody said:
mug, FYI turbo,

HeHe, Get in-line behind turbo, he lives somewhat close by and if (and this is still a big if) I get a nice used enclosed trailer, I could skip up north with both bikes and we could find some twisties in upper VT, NH to ride.
I haven't straddled a sport bike in ages - you might not want to waste time with me while I get back up to speed. Since 1985, it has been Harleys only. Though this one was tweaked and very quick.

WG2.jpg

Hehe, I was thinking FJR in the morning (you riding) , just to get you accustomed to more power and better handling, then switch in the afternoon to the err... a rocket, I mean BMW. I am making a few more additions, radiator, oil cooler guards, replacing stock mirrors with bar ends, block pads for the mirror stubs, and finally eventually getting rid of the turn signals, this spring, that way, the err... a rocket will be as slippery as possible.

I am planning a track day in June in NH as well, maybe you might like to come for a peek. Will let you know details when I talk to the coordinator next week.

Rhody...

The last few posts has been about INH riders, how about some skilled road racers on track,
like Gary McCoy, known for his ability to slide a 500CC two stroke bike, a near impossibility because of its narrow ferocious power band.
The green Kawi is four stroke, however, the second link is on the two stroke.

Powersliding a Kawi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1GGsxPk9Q"

He makes it sound matter of fact, it isn't, no one else can do this repeatedly without high or low siding it on a two stroke.

Aarin Yates on a four stroke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxD2oN2MbuA&feature=related"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFW9MFw4OPA&feature=related"

Moto Gp BRNO 2008 (powerslide in wet practice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewtpCLG0SS4&feature=related"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ydg4Y04K0U&feature=related"

Enjoy...

Rhody... :smile:

P.S Dirt track riding early in these guys lives made all the difference in the ability to slide and control the bike, at slower speeds of course.

turbo-1 said:
I haven't straddled a sport bike in ages - you might not want to waste time with me while I get back up to speed. Since 1985, it has been Harleys only. Though this one was tweaked and very quick.

WG2.jpg

Turbo,

Sorry I didn't comment on your bike, nicely done, I must say if not my style. I just got the carbon fiber rear fender from BMW, got a good deal from the dealer, and I have ordered bar end mirrors, mirror plugs, red radiator and oil cooler guards, and for a finishing touch, I am hunting down fairing and windshield fasteners (from commercial stock), took a count today, I will need about 60 total, and plan to either paint or anodize them a nice blood red color, it will set off the black and dark grey metal flake on the tank and front fender nicely. The last thing will be to do away with the turn signals, and the bike will be a sleek as it possibly can be, and to me, one of a kind that does not exist in kit or part form anywhere else, and I might add, a once in a lifetime dream.

Rhody...

P.S. The invitation still stands, you have until springtime to think about it. The FJR, or the 1000RR, your choice. I know part of you wants to have a go with the BMW.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

rhody said:
Turbo,

Sorry I didn't comment on your bike, nicely done, I must say if not my style. I just got the carbon fiber rear fender from BMW, got a good deal from the dealer, and I have ordered bar end mirrors, mirror plugs, red radiator and oil cooler guards, and for a finishing touch, I am hunting down fairing and windshield fasteners (from commercial stock), took a count today, I will need about 60 total, and plan to either paint or anodize them a nice blood red color, it will set off the black and dark grey metal flake on the tank and front fender nicely. The last thing will be to do away with the turn signals, and the bike will be a sleek as it possibly can be, and to me, one of a kind that does not exist in kit or part form anywhere else, and I might add, a once in a lifetime dream.

Rhody...

P.S. The invitation still stands, you have until springtime to think about it. The FJR, or the 1000RR, your choice. I know part of you wants to have a go with the BMW.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:
I think you understand my addiction! That bike had head-work by Perewitz, a Super E racing carb, lovingly tweaked by me, a low restriction fuel petcock, a low restriction air filter, and low restriction set of exhaust pipes, steep cams, and too many other things to list. That rascal was really fast on straight-aways, though it would never have competed with hot asian or european bikes. Still, bikers who saw my machine and wanted to test it, always ended up humbled. Paint and chrome done don't tell the story.

McCoy is a monster. I'd love to meet him.

turbo-1 said:
I think you understand my addiction! That bike had head-work by Perewitz, a Super E racing carb, lovingly tweaked by me, a low restriction fuel petcock, a low restriction air filter, and low restriction set of exhaust pipes, steep cams, and too many other things to list. That rascal was really fast on straight-aways, though it would never have competed with hot asian or european bikes. Still, bikers who saw my machine and wanted to test it, always ended up humbled. Paint and chrome done don't tell the story.

Turbo,

I understand, a sleeper, whereas a comparison with the BMW isn't in the same league, more like a sledge hammer, in looks and performance, nothing to hide. I didn't like the asymmetrical look of the BMW, however what sold me was weight, and overall performance and creativity in the design, not to mention great attention to detail and more before production testing than any street bike I can ever remember. I admit the asymmetry is somewhat subdued by what I added, it masks it somewhat. You said you sold you bike long ago, but it still holds a place in your soul, a good thing IMHO.

Does something like this work for you ?

aa9kdf.jpg

Rhody...

turbo-1 said:
McCoy is a monster. I'd love to meet him.

Sorry Turbo,

I didn't realize you were a Gary McCoy fan, every interview I have ever seen him in, he is a soft spoken kind of guy, but has a special ability that he neither brags or showboats, it is just "his" style. Kenny Robert's senior said he has great bike control, but often rides in Kenny's words, "Over the limit, that is the way he has to ride." McCoy has taken his lumps over the years too, broken legs, etc... I don't know if he still races or not, when I am not too busy I will try to track down what he is up to these days. I have ridden two strokes too, and the power band is so damn narrow it is hard to believe he does what the video's show. Had ones of those fast but small kawasaki triple's, another franken bike suspension too. Compared to what I ride today, current bikes seems so civilized in comparison. I figure if a franken bike suspension couldn't (for the most part with the small incidents I posted earlier) spit me off, then something with a great suspension should be much easier to ride, which has been the case. Knock on wood.

Rhody... :cool:

P.S. For those not bike savvy, a franken bike suspension is simply where the power of an engine was mated to a frame and shock system that was woefully short. It would twist, flex and generally misbehave when you began to push it, broken steering heads, and cracked rear wheel bearings, leaking fork seals were common place.

Rhody, I have been a fan of almost almost anybody who will take a bike to its limits. I'm a nut about danger and risk, and I would pretty much hang with anybody who would push the limits.

Turbo,

Here is what http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/garry-mccoy-wss-moto2/" [Broken] has been up to: Garry McCoy Out of WSS and into Moto2?

and this:

http://2wheeltuesday.com/2010/01/ws...ailed-to-reach-agreement-official-statement/"

I wish him well, but from what I have seen from Moto2 races, it is like rolling the dice, they mix in seasoned pros like McCoy with guys with little skill and more ego, a dangerous combination. The races are not exactly exciting, more like the "Dukes of Hazard" on a bad day. Things like a twenty bike pile up (read about it in Sport Rider Magazine recently) on the second or third corner of a race. I winced reading the article and the carnage in the pictures. Moto2 is not on my list of following riders or watching races, that is until they get their act together, someone(s) is/are going to get killed soon, if that happens, and I hope it doesn't, seasoned riders and teams will revolt. I don't know how this happened or came about but, it is not pretty to watch.

Rhody... :uhh: :frown:

McCoy's loss of sponsorship probably just means more opportunity for his former rivals.

Probably the best thing that I ever did to my Wide Glide was to install a Yost Power Tube in the main-jet throat. I was able to over-jet that racing carb without experiencing the stumble and surge that you have to work around with that set-up. Best of all, with all the increased power, I went from ~45mpg in 2-up riding (about the only time I kept mileage stats) to ~50 mpg with no other mods. Same steep cam, same breather, filters, etc. Just added that power tube (atomizer) and re-jetted the carb. It was scary. That Super-E carb and other mods matched the power-band to that 4-speed tranny as perfectly as could be asked (although I tweaked that a bit, too). Run out of torque? Shift and crank that throttle again. Rinse and repeat.

I was feeling a little nostalgic, thinking back to the days of "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5up9sv8Nyk"" with the likes of late legend actor Steve McQueen, ranked 11 top amateur rider at the time and the incredible Malcom Smith, he entered 12 Baja 1000's and won six of them, the other six, he broke down.

Hope you like it, it brought back pleasant memories, was never there but wished I could have been, saw the movie at least a half dozen times over the years.

The guy who takes his dog on his gas tank is a amazing, watch as he gets reconditioned at a pit stop. For those interested, On Any Sunday can be viewed entirely from the link above, it is broken in about 9 or more parts.

Here is a clip about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLUvKDEv-9I&feature=related".

And a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjtpB6AFuI&feature=related" from On any Sunday, with Malcom Smith.

Rhody...

Still mulling over McCoy... Could that separation have been any worse? Damn!

turbo-1 said:
Still mulling over McCoy... Could that separation have been any worse? Damn!

Look at it this way Turbo, over the years, McCoy has more than his share of bad luck, until Moto2 gets it act together (cringe...), it is a blessing in disguise, I read there is talk of him returning to MotoGP, IMHO where he belongs.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Look at it this way Turbo, over the years, McCoy has more than his share of bad luck, until Moto2 gets it act together (cringe...), it is a blessing in disguise, I read there is talk of him returning to MotoGP, IMHO where he belongs.

Rhody...
He could die in Moto2 though. Sloppy there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDjMlamhynk"

I rest my case, the crash near the end: at 3:05 is horrific, the bike came down on the rider, then went into the apron, the rider rear ended the guy in front of him, sending him to the tarmac at very high speed.

Rhody...

P.S. The crashes throughout this video should give any same racer (there aren't many of them) pause...
and this compiled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqB97XoWZXQ&feature=related", watch at 1:00 minute this guy was 6 inches and about 10 milliseconds in the right place at the right time, or he would have been killed for sure. These are older compiled segments, still hard to watch though.

rhody said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDjMlamhynk"

I rest my case, the crash near the end: at 3:05 is horrific, the bike came down on the rider, then went into the apron, the rider rear ended the guy in front of him, sending him to the tarmac at very high speed.

Rhody...

P.S. The crashes throughout this video should give any same racer (there aren't many of them) pause...
and this compiled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqB97XoWZXQ&feature=related", watch at 1:00 minute this guy was 6 inches and about 10 milliseconds in the right place at the right time, or he would have been killed for sure. These are older compiled segments, still hard to watch though.

Wow that's some amazing racing... *approaches 3:05*... yeah, really, whoa... look out! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
*cleans mouth and keyboard*...

...very... potent imagery.

I am contemplating small finishing touches, something like the second thumbnail below on the back of the bike, in the tail section, and possibly something like this on the black powder coated swing arm, in blood red, like the formula for thrust, first thumbnail.

BTW, took the FJR out for a bit today, temps in the high 30's parked then did my usual 1 hour walk, sun was just setting as I returned home. Nice day all in all.

I am open to requests for posts, I have a few uncharted areas in mind, but would like requests from the lurkers in this peanut gallery, sorry Turbo, Misnara, Mugs, hehe.

Rhody...

P.S. The last thumbnail is of my daughter, Rhody child (I got that one from Evo), and her boyfriend, home from 82nd Airborne Training for Christmas break, let's call him Green Baret brat, great guy, wish them the best.

Attachments

• thrust.JPG
    thrust.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Naga_Viperchilli.jpg
    Naga_Viperchilli.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 356
Rhody, the pepper graphic would be cool. You could play with the palatte too. Maybe make your carbons a nice blood-red, and put a black and green pepper with light highlights on the rear fender. I'm fond of contrasts and inversions.

One reason that I liked my old tweaked Wide-Glide so much when I first bought it was the paint-job that featured "broken" trim over the flames. It's a little visual grabber. It took me years to get the performance on a par with the paint, but it was fun. Luckily, I have a very tolerant wife. She never complained if she came home after work and found a carb all torn down on the kitchen table, and she didn't give me a hard time for using our kitchen table as a work-bench when I rebuilt and restored old guitar tube-amps. She's a saint.

Stay tuned, the bike is done, Professional Calendar photo's with College models have been taken, and I have a special set with the model who displayed my bike. Will post with pictures of the extra bits that have been added.

All I can say is, wow, to the bike I mean, if you get my drift... Will share when I get CD, Turbo, my buddy said he would have an extra Calendar for you, I took him at his word. The bottom line is, the bike will be a part of history, February 2011. Fair enough.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin: :blushing:

rhody said:
Stay tuned, the bike is done, Professional Calendar photo's with College models have been taken, and I have a special set with the model who displayed my bike. Will post with pictures of the extra bits that have been added.

All I can say is, wow, to the bike I mean, if you get my drift... Will share when I get CD, Turbo, my buddy said he would have an extra Calendar for you, I took him at his word. The bottom line is, the bike will be a part of history, February 2011. Fair enough.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin: :blushing:
Really looking forward to it, Rhody. I love 2-wheeled machines. I didn't own a car the first year that I was married. Even in the winter, I drove back and forth to work on a Honda CL450. Wearing an Air-Force flight-line Eskimo suit with Wolverine-fur trim.

My wife eventually convinced me that I needed to get an enclosed vehicle with a heater. It was for the better, I guess.

Edit: is it February yet? How about now? Are we there yet?

Turbo,

Paid for the bike today, signed up for track day in June, may do a second day as well because you really don't "get it" on the first one. It arrives tomorrow morning by truck, the roads are just too crappy to ride it. The Ohlins fork action is really supple, smooth, just like the Patron Anejo, hehe... BTW, I will be sending you a calendar with the college models as promised in a week or two. Here is a small sample. The model posed with my bike, February I believe. There should be dramatic photo shopped backgrounds so the pictures should be interesting, a nice memory...

Rhody... :biggrin:

Attachments

• BMW snip.JPG
    BMW snip.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 454
rhody said:
Turbo,

Paid for the bike today, signed up for track day in June, may do a second day as well because you really don't "get it" on the first one. It arrives tomorrow morning by truck, the roads are just too crappy to ride it. The Ohlins fork action is really supple, smooth, just like the Patron Anejo, hehe... BTW, I will be sending you a calendar with the college models as promised in a week or two. Here is a small sample. The model posed with my bike, February I believe. There should be dramatic photo shopped backgrounds so the pictures should be interesting, a nice memory...

Rhody... :biggrin:
Pretty cool, Rhody! Track days can be fun.

An acquaintance and his wife had Ducatis and they did track days as a family thing a few times each season. Eventually, he crashed and got concussions enough times that his doctor told him to quit the track, so he took up flying instead.

Lest we forget trials riders, a few video's for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmzM31g_dOQ"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIL7zqrEyNg&feature=fvw"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXPflPh-8M&feature=related"

2009 SPEA FIM Indoor Trial World Championship - Madrid (SPA
)

2009 SPEA FIM Trial World Championship - Portugal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YGahKI-e9Y&feature=channel"

and a few who need a bit more practice... or we a bit off their game...

We all need practice before becoming proficient

Rhody...

P.S. Too much snow here, last winter I was able to ride ay least once a week, not this year, just dodged big snowfall, only about 10 inches here.

Where is Scorpa? She'd love those videos, but hasn't been around for a while.

rhody said:
A work in progress
Why aren't any of the normal liter bikes included in this comparason? Honda CBR 1000, Kawasaki ZX-10 (instead of the ZX-6), Suzuki GSXR 1000, Yamaha R1 1000, ?

A goal is to ship this bike to the Isle of Mann ... BMW ... abs
I don't think abs will help much here. The danger of the 37.75 mile (60.7 km) track is the combination of high speeds, narrow track, and remembering which turns are 200mph turns and which ones are 160mph turns. Average speed on the fastest bikes is 130 mph now. From Wiki:

... regards to the safety, especially "Mad Sunday" when any member of the public can ride the mountain section of the course which is open one way from Ramsey to Douglas. The TT races are extremely dangerous because of the high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and even buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT

<h2>1. What is the purpose of needing a runway?</h2><p>The purpose of needing a runway is to provide a designated space for aircraft to take off and land. This allows for safe and efficient operations for both commercial and private flights.</p><h2>2. How long does a runway need to be?</h2><p>The length of a runway can vary depending on the type of aircraft using it and the conditions of the surrounding area. Generally, a commercial runway needs to be at least 8,000 feet long, while a private runway can be as short as 2,000 feet.</p><h2>3. What materials are runways made of?</h2><p>Runways are typically made of concrete or asphalt, as these materials are strong enough to withstand the weight and impact of aircraft. They also provide a smooth surface for planes to take off and land on.</p><h2>4. How are runways maintained?</h2><p>Runways require regular maintenance to ensure they are safe for use. This includes repairing any cracks or potholes, clearing debris, and ensuring proper lighting and signage. Runways also need to be regularly inspected for any potential hazards.</p><h2>5. Can a runway be used for other purposes?</h2><p>In some cases, a runway may be used for other purposes such as emergency landings, military training, or as a drag strip for racing events. However, these alternate uses must be approved and coordinated with air traffic control to ensure the safety of all parties involved.</p>

1. What is the purpose of needing a runway?

The purpose of needing a runway is to provide a designated space for aircraft to take off and land. This allows for safe and efficient operations for both commercial and private flights.

2. How long does a runway need to be?

The length of a runway can vary depending on the type of aircraft using it and the conditions of the surrounding area. Generally, a commercial runway needs to be at least 8,000 feet long, while a private runway can be as short as 2,000 feet.

3. What materials are runways made of?

Runways are typically made of concrete or asphalt, as these materials are strong enough to withstand the weight and impact of aircraft. They also provide a smooth surface for planes to take off and land on.

4. How are runways maintained?

Runways require regular maintenance to ensure they are safe for use. This includes repairing any cracks or potholes, clearing debris, and ensuring proper lighting and signage. Runways also need to be regularly inspected for any potential hazards.

5. Can a runway be used for other purposes?

In some cases, a runway may be used for other purposes such as emergency landings, military training, or as a drag strip for racing events. However, these alternate uses must be approved and coordinated with air traffic control to ensure the safety of all parties involved.