Integrating Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the definite integral of a Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution and using a substitution to solve the problem. The final answer is 3kT/m.
zebala

Homework Statement

Let P(v) represent the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution. Basically what it comes down to is that I have to find the definite integral (0,inf) of P(v)*v^2 and get vrms from this.

Homework Equations

We are given the definite integral from 0 to inf for the function (x^4)*exp(-x^2), which is (3/8)*Sqrt(Pi).

The Attempt at a Solution

I first move all the constants in front of the integral and then the integral simplifies to (v^4)*exp(-mv^2/kT). However, I have no idea what to do with the constants stuck in the exponent. How would I continue from here?

Thank you beforehand.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to make a substitution. Set:
x=v*sqrt(m/(kT)). (Except I think it's really x=v*sqrt(m/(2kT)) and you forgot the 2. E= 1/2 mv^2).

Thanks, that seems to be a working solution! Do you know what the answer should be? 3kT/m? For some reason I get Sqrt(9kT/2m).

EDIT: Forgot to replace dv with the corresponding operator for x, dx*[(m/2kT)^(-1/2)]. Got it now!

Last edited:

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution is a statistical distribution that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is derived from the Maxwell-Boltzmann velocity distribution, which takes into account the direction of motion as well.

2. Why is it important to integrate the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution?

Integrating the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution allows us to determine the total number of particles in a gas at a given temperature, as well as the average speed of those particles. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of gases.

3. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution integrated?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution is integrated using the Boltzmann factor, which takes into account the energy of particles at different speeds. The integral is solved using calculus, resulting in an expression that relates the temperature, average speed, and total number of particles in a gas.

4. What is the significance of the peak of the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution curve?

The peak of the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution curve represents the most probable speed of particles in a gas at a given temperature. This means that the majority of particles in the gas will have this speed, and the curve decreases on either side of the peak to represent the decreasing likelihood of particles having higher or lower speeds.

5. Can the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution be applied to all gases?

Yes, the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution can be applied to all gases, as long as they are in thermal equilibrium. This means that the temperature of the gas is uniform and there is no net flow of energy or particles. However, the distribution may vary depending on the mass of the particles and the temperature of the gas.