Equation of a Tangent plane an the normal line to a given point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tangent plane to a surface given by the equation xy + yz + zx = 3 at the point (1,1,1). The solution involves finding the partial derivatives and using the gradient vector to determine the normal vector and ultimately the equation of the tangent plane. This method is considered easier than finding the tangent plane to a surface given by z = f(x,y).
rubecuber

Homework Statement

xy +yz + zx = 3 (1,1,1)

Homework Equations

equation of tangent plane is z-z0 = fx(x0,y0)(x-x0) +fy(x0,y0)(y-y0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Right, I've been a few of these exercises, however, this is the first one I've seen that equals a number and not "z". So, when I take the partial derivatives with respect to x and y I get, respectively, y+z, and x+z. Now, I'm sort of guessing here, but I'm taking fz and I'll get y+x. Then I plug the values into the equation and get fx = 2, fy = 2 and fz = 2? The thing is that the book doesn't say anything about an fz. What now?

Physics news on Phys.org
the direction you have found (2,2,2) is the gradient of the function f(x,y,z) = xy +yz + zx at (1,1,1), and will be normal to the tangent plane (why?)

use it to find the equation of your tangent plane (the dot product of any vetcor in the plane and the normal must be zero...)

In general, if you have a surface writtten as f(x,y,z)= constant, then the gradient vector,
[tex]\nabla f= f_x\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{j}+ f_z\vec{k}[/itex]
is normal to the surface. It is the "normal vector" and gives you the tangent plane.

I consider this situation easier than "z= f(x,y)". In fact, to find a normal vector and tangent plane to z= f(x,y), I would immediately write it as G(x,y,z)= z- f(x,y)= 0.

1. What is the equation of a tangent plane at a given point on a surface?

The equation of a tangent plane at a given point on a surface is a linear approximation of the surface at that point. It can be written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C represent the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables respectively, and D is a constant.

2. How is the normal vector of a tangent plane calculated?

The normal vector of a tangent plane is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the surface equation with respect to x, y, and z, and then plugging in the coordinates of the given point. The resulting vector is perpendicular to the tangent plane and can be used to find the equation of the normal line.

3. What does the tangent plane represent?

The tangent plane represents the instantaneous slope or rate of change of a surface at a specific point. It can be thought of as the best approximation of the surface at that point, and allows for the study of the behavior of the surface in the immediate vicinity of the point.

4. How is the normal line to a given point on a surface determined?

The normal line to a given point on a surface is determined by taking the cross product of the normal vector of the tangent plane and a vector that passes through the given point and is parallel to the surface. This results in a line that is perpendicular to the tangent plane and passes through the given point.

5. In what situations is the equation of a tangent plane and normal line useful?

The equation of a tangent plane and normal line are useful in a variety of scientific fields, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to approximate and analyze the behavior of surfaces in real-world situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or determining the stress on a structural component. They are also important in the study of calculus and differential geometry, where they are used to understand the behavior of surfaces and curves in higher dimensions.