What is the correct definition of energy in relativistic systems?

In summary: This constant is called the "kinetic" or "relativistic" energy of the system. The prob. is not what C is.
Hyperreality
If a particle is in a ideal inertial system, with only potential energy and kinetic energy present, then

K + U = E

If we take in account of the relativistic effect, we get

[tex]\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})}}-mc^2+U=E[/tex]

If we differentiate both side with respect to its velocity,

[tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^3}}+dU/dv=0[/tex]

So far, I'm fairly sure my derivations are correct, for I use the last result to derive the "relativistc" force F=ma x gamma^3.

Now, for the next bit, if I solve for U using indefinite integral I ended with
[tex]U=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})}}+C.[/tex]

What is C?

If I did it by definite integral from 0 to v, I ended with the relativistic kinetic energy. Which is right??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperreality said:
If a particle is in a ideal inertial system, with only potential energy and kinetic energy present, then

K + U = E

If we take in account of the relativistic effect, we get

[tex]\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})}}-mc^2+U=E[/tex]

If we differentiate both side with respect to its velocity,

[tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^3}}+dU/dv=0[/tex]

So far, I'm fairly sure my derivations are correct, for I use the last result to derive the "relativistc" force F=ma x gamma^3.

Now, for the next bit, if I solve for U using indefinite integral I ended with
[tex]U=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})}}+C.[/tex]

What is C?

If I did it by definite integral from 0 to v, I ended with the relativistic kinetic energy. Which is right??

The prob. is not what C is.
You should write:
[tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^3}}+dU/dv=dE/dv[/tex]

blue

Yes, I should.

But note that E is the total energy of the system, so it is a contant,

ie, dE/dv = 0.

Be careful, you must be precise with your definitions or you will run into problems.

Energy is more appropriately defined as the functional composition of the Hamiltonian with the coordinates/momenta of the system as a function of time i.e. E(t)=H(q(t),p(t)). This is, by conservation laws, constant, but this is not what you had in your equation. You had the Hamiltonian, which indeed has dependence on momentum (and thus velocity) otherwise the particle (by Hamilton's equations) would be at rest.

In your instance the Hamiltonian is defined as H(q,p) = K(p) + U(q,p) where K(p) and U(q,p) are the kinetic and potential energies for a particle at position q with momentum p.

However, you did something slightly correct and interesting, which is that potential energy can never be found absolutely. You can only ever hope to measure/calculate differences in potential across space, thus all potentials can have a (spatial) constant added to them and the observable physics of the system in question will not change.

What is the concept of Relativistic Potential Energy?

Relativistic Potential Energy is a concept in physics that describes the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It takes into account the effects of both special and general relativity on an object's energy.

How is Relativistic Potential Energy different from Classical Potential Energy?

Relativistic Potential Energy differs from Classical Potential Energy in that it takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's energy. Classical Potential Energy only considers the object's mass and its position in a gravitational field.

What is the formula for calculating Relativistic Potential Energy?

The formula for calculating Relativistic Potential Energy is E = mgh, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height or distance from the source of the gravitational field. This formula takes into account the effects of relativity on the object's energy.

What are some real-life applications of Relativistic Potential Energy?

Relativistic Potential Energy has many practical applications, including in space travel and satellite navigation. It is also used in understanding the behavior of black holes and other massive objects in the universe.

How does Relativistic Potential Energy relate to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Relativistic Potential Energy is a fundamental concept in Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. The theory describes how gravity works by considering it as a curvature in spacetime, and Relativistic Potential Energy is a measure of how this curvature affects the energy of an object in a gravitational field.