Can calculus find the momentum of light?

In summary, the relativistic momentum formula does not directly apply to massless particles such as photons. However, by taking the limit of a specific path in the m-v plane, namely a curve of constant energy, we can still calculate the momentum of a photon. There is no physical rationale for choosing this path, but it leads to the expected result that the momentum of a massless particle is equal to its energy divided by the speed of light. Other methods, such as using wave-particle duality, can also lead to this result.
atyy said:
A wave packet for a massive classical field has dispersion. Do I define v in p=γmv as dw/dk?

Dispersion, and apparent superluminal speed is off-topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dickfore said:
It is my opinion that the question by the OP had been answered by many users. Any further discussion seems useless and is just going off in circles. May I suggest a mod locks this thread.

You are right. But i think that this topic should be allowed to quiet down on its own. It doesn`t hurt anyone to discuss.

bcrowell said:
Yes.

Hmmm, I am really having trouble seeing this.

The equation for a massive free classical field is really like E2=p2+m2. (Eq A)

The group velocity will be: v=dE/dp. (Eq B)

This gives: v2=p2/(p2+m2). (Eq c)

Rearranging: p=γmv. (Eq D)

If m=0, Eq B and C give v=1, which is correct. If we allow division by 0, Eq D gives an indeterminate form which is also correct, since p is not dependent on v for m=0. But that's fine since E=p by definition in Eq A. So I'm really not sure that the indeterminate form is wrong for a massless classical field, except for the division by 0 part. But if division by 0 is not permitted, then we can't even get to Eq D, let alone take its limit.

Last edited:
Dickfore said:
It is my opinion that the question by the OP had been answered by many users.
I agree. It was answered 141 posts ago, to be exact.

Dickfore said:
Any further discussion seems useless and is just going off in circles. May I suggest a mod locks this thread.
Done.