Normally distributed data?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula for finding the resolution of a set of data, assuming the data is normally distributed. This is done by writing the likelihood as a Gaussian and then solving for the resolution. However, this formula does not necessarily imply that the data is normally distributed, it just provides an estimator for the resolution.
James.L

Homework Statement

Suppose I have a set of measurements of a quantity Q, where the resolution R is the same for all data di. However, R is unknown, and I wish to find it.

In my book they do this by writing the likelihood L (or rather, ln(L)) as the Gaussian, so

[tex]
\ln L = \sum\limits_i { - \ln R_i \sqrt {2\pi } } - \sum\limits_i {\frac{{\left( {d_i - Q } \right)^2 }}{{2R_i }}}
[/tex]

Now they differentiate wrt. the mean Q and the deviation Ri = R, yielding two equations. Solving these yields

[tex]
R^2 = \frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_i {\left( {d_i - Q} \right)^2 }
[/tex]

This is the standard result we are "used" to. But does this mean that every single time I use this formula on a set of data, then I am implicitly assuming that the data is normally distributed?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations \ln L = \sum\limits_i { - \ln R_i \sqrt {2\pi } } - \sum\limits_i {\frac{{\left( {d_i - Q } \right)^2 }}{{2R_i }}} R^2 = \frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_i {\left( {d_i - Q} \right)^2 } The Attempt at a Solution No, you are not implicitly assuming that the data is normally distributed. The formula you are using is simply the maximum likelihood estimator for the resolution R, which is a measure of the uncertainty in the data. Therefore, the formula is only applicable if the data is actually normally distributed, since it assumes that the likelihood is a Gaussian. However, the formula itself does not imply that the data must be normally distributed - it simply provides an estimator for the resolution, assuming that the data is normally distributed.

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a statistical model used to describe the frequency distribution of a continuous variable. It is also known as a bell curve due to its characteristic shape, with most values clustering around the mean and fewer values at the extremes.

2. How do I know if my data is normally distributed?

One way to determine if your data is normally distributed is to create a histogram and visually inspect its shape. If the histogram resembles a bell curve, then the data is likely normally distributed. Another way is to use statistical tests such as the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or the Shapiro-Wilk test.

3. What are the characteristics of a normal distribution?

A normal distribution has three main characteristics: it is symmetrical, with the mean, median, and mode all equaling the same value; it follows the 68-95-99.7 rule, where approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation from the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations; and it is continuous, with no gaps or outliers.

4. Why is normal distribution important?

Normal distribution is important because it is a common and useful model for many natural phenomena and can be applied to a wide range of data. It allows us to make predictions and estimate probabilities, and it is the basis for many statistical tests and methods.

5. Can I still use parametric tests if my data is not normally distributed?

It is generally recommended to use non-parametric tests for data that is not normally distributed. However, if the sample size is large enough, the Central Limit Theorem states that the sampling distribution of the mean will be approximately normal, allowing for the use of parametric tests. It is always best to consult with a statistician to determine the most appropriate test for your data.