Electric field between parallel plates

In summary, the electric field intensity is approximately uniform between parallel plates due to the property of electric field lines to emerge perpendicular to a conducting surface and spread out uniformly. However, near the edges of the plates, the field lines may splay outwards due to a decrease in field line density. This concept may not be included in high school science curriculum, but is typically taught in second year university.
quark001
I don't understand why the electric field intensity is uniform between parallel plates. No explanation in my textbook...

Surely as a charge moves up/down between the plates, parallel to the lines of the field, the electric force that it experiences would change (using Coulomb's law)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not completely uniform.

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys03/aparplate/

It's approximately uniform though, and the uniform case is always true at the very center of the plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I get it when using E = V/d, because it's easy to see that the sum of the distance between a charge and each plate is constant no matter where the charge is situated.

But I'm still getting confused with Coulomb's law. Say there are two equal but opposite 1C charges 5m from each other - like two charged plates. Say I place another +1C charge between them. If I move this charge up and down within the 5m radius, the net force does not seem to be uniform.

quark001 said:
Thanks for the link. I get it when using E = V/d, because it's easy to see that the sum of the distance between a charge and each plate is constant no matter where the charge is situated.

But I'm still getting confused with Coulomb's law. Say there are two equal but opposite 1C charges 5m from each other - like two charged plates. Say I place another +1C charge between them. If I move this charge up and down within the 5m radius, the net force does not seem to be uniform.

It is a property of electric field lines that they leave (or impinge upon) a conducting surface at right angles to that surface. For a lone conducting sphere that means that the field lines emerge radially. The field lines also "like" to have as much room to themselves as possible, so they diverge uniformly with distance from the sphere. This graphically accounts for the inverse square law for a point charge or a charged sphere. The force felt by a charge located in an electric field depends upon the field strength, which is proportional to the field line density at its location.

Now consider a uniformly charged, very large flat conducting plate, in a region somewhere near its center. Once again the field lines emerge directed perpendicular to the surface so they are all parallel to begin with. For any given field line the density of other field lines surrounding it is uniform in all directions, so there is no motivation to deviate direction and nowhere it can go to spread itself thinner. So the field lines remain parallel. Note that near the edges of the plate the situation is different, because then there will definitely be a decrease in field lines edge-ward, so the closer to the edges you get the more the lines will splay outwards and away from each other.

For a parallel plate capacitor image two such plates, oppositely charged and parallel to each other. The field lines of the facing plates will almost all begin and end on the plate surfaces, emerging from the + plate and ending on the - plate. There will still be the bowing-out of the field near the edges, but it will be a small effect. Inwards of the edges the field lines are of uniform density and are parallel, so the field is constant.

Oh - now I see! Thanks a lot.

Harrisonized said:
It's not completely uniform.

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys03/aparplate/

It's approximately uniform though, and the uniform case is always true at the very center of the plates.

pretty sure in quark's class they do not include fringe fielding by the sounds of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Liquidxlax said:
pretty sure in quark's class they do not include fringe fielding by the sounds of it

Yup, that's high school science for you! Lovely isn't it?!

quark001 said:
Yup, that's high school science for you! Lovely isn't it?!

well fringe fielding didn't occur till second year of university for myself. You're lucky you're even doing e&m in high school.

1. What is an electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates refers to the force per unit charge that exists between two parallel plates with opposite charges. It is a region in which a charged particle will experience a force due to the electric field created by the plates.

2. How is the electric field between parallel plates calculated?

The electric field between parallel plates can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates is always directed from the positive plate to the negative plate. This means that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the plates and parallel to each other.

4. How does the distance between the parallel plates affect the electric field?

The distance between the parallel plates has an inverse relationship with the electric field. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of the electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates is important in many applications, such as in capacitors and particle accelerators. It also helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in an electric field and is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism.