Calculating Power Output for a Cyclist Coasting Down a 7.2 Degree Hill

In summary, the cyclist is coasting down a 7.2 degree hill at a steady speed of 10 km/h with a total mass of 75 kg. To climb the hill at the same speed, the rider would need a power output of 511 Watts, calculated using the equation Power = Force x velocity. The cyclist must overcome both the weight and friction forces while climbing the hill.
Whenderson1

Homework Statement

A cyclist coasts down a 7.2 degree hill at a steady speed of 10 km/h. If the total mass of the bike and rider is 75 kg, what power output must the rider have to climb the hill at the same speed?

Homework Equations

Power = Energy/Time
Ek = 1/2mv^2 where m is the mass v is the velocity and Ek is the kinetic energy
Eg = mgh where m is the mass g is a constant value of 9.8 h is the height above the ground and Eg is the gravitational potential energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

Power = Energy/Time = (Ek + Eg)/Time = [1/2(75)(2.777)^2 + (75)(9.8)(2.7sin7.2)]/1 = 522 Watts

Apparently the answer is 511 Watts. Can someone please tell me where i went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenderson1 said:

Homework Statement

A cyclist coasts down a 7.2 degree hill at a steady speed of 10 km/h. If the total mass of the bike and rider is 75 kg, what power output must the rider have to climb the hill at the same speed?

Homework Equations

Power = Energy/Time
Ek = 1/2mv^2 where m is the mass v is the velocity and Ek is the kinetic energy
Eg = mgh where m is the mass g is a constant value of 9.8 h is the height above the ground and Eg is the gravitational potential energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

Power = Energy/Time = (Ek + Eg)/Time = [1/2(75)(2.777)^2 + (75)(9.8)(2.7sin7.2)]/1 = 522 Watts

Apparently the answer is 511 Watts. Can someone please tell me where i went wrong?

I don't like Power = Energy/time. Power is the rate of expending energy → a change in energy not the energy itself

I would be calculating using power = Force x velocity.

On the way down the hill, clearly the component of weight "driving" the cyclist down the hill is matched by friction - so acceleration is zero - the cyclist travels at constant speed.

On the way up the hill, the cyclist will have to create a driving force to over come each of those - his driving force has to match both friction and weight component.

Force x speed = power.

1. What is power output?

Power output refers to the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp) and represents the amount of energy produced or consumed per unit of time.

2. How is power output calculated?

Power output can be calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do the work. In other words, power output = work/time. It can also be calculated by multiplying force by velocity, as power is a product of force and velocity.

3. What factors affect power output?

There are several factors that can affect power output, including the type of energy source, the efficiency of the system, and the amount of resistance or friction within the system. Other factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity may also have an impact on power output.

4. Can power output be increased?

Yes, power output can be increased by increasing the amount of work done or by reducing the amount of time it takes to do the work. This can be achieved through improvements in technology, such as more efficient engines or motors, or by optimizing the system to reduce resistance and friction.

5. How is power output used in everyday life?

Power output is used in various aspects of everyday life, from the energy produced by power plants to the power output of our own bodies when we exercise. It is also used in industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and agriculture to power machines and equipment. Additionally, power output is used in the measurement of electricity consumption in homes and businesses.