Conical Pendulum proof of constant frequency

In summary, a pendulum consists of a particle of mass m at the end of a light rigid rod of length l, attached to a stationary point 0. Using the principle of linear momentum, it can be shown that the second derivative of the unit vector e, representing the position of the particle, is equal to -gk, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and k is a unit vector pointing vertically upwards. If the pendulum is simple, with e confined to a vertical plane containing 0, its motion can be described by the equation θ'' + (g/l) sinθ = 0, where θ represents the angle of rotation. For a conical pendulum, where e rotates about k, it
tpb77

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a particle of mass m at the end of a light rigid rod of
length l, the other end of the rod being freely attached to a stationary point
0. Let e(t) be a unit vector pointing along the rod, so that the position
vector relative to 0 of the particle at time t is le(t).
(a) Show from the principle of linear momentum that

e x e'' - (g/l) e x k = 0

where g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is a unit vector pointing
vertically upwards. ( e'' represents the second derivative of the unit vector wrt time )

(b) If e(t) is confined to a vertical plane containing 0, the pendulum is
called simple. Suppose that

e(t) = sin θ(t) i - cos θ(t)k,
where i is a horizontal unit vector. Deduce that

θ'' + (g/l) sinθ = 0

(c) If e(t) rotates about k, the pendulum is called conical. Suppose that

e' = w(t) (k x e(t))

Deduce that t →w(t) and t →e(t).k are constant throughout the motion.

If w(0) = w > 0 and e(0).k = -cosθ with 0 < 0 < pi/2, show that

w = sqrt( g secθ/l)

Hint. The following identity holds for the triple vector product:

u x ( v x w) = (u.w)v + (u.v)w

The Attempt at a Solution

First two parts are alright, e x e'' + g/l e x k = 0
so e'' must be = - g/l k
so le'' = -g k
a = -gk
so F = -gm k which is just the force due to gravity, so the original statement is true

The second part i can do just by working through the differentiation of sinθ i - cosθj, then subbing in and cancelling all the terms.

the last bit though i think should be
e' = w( k x e)
multiply both sides by e
so e x e' = w( e x (k x e))
= 1/m ( e x p) = w( e x ( k x e))
the d/dt of the left is = 0, since the angular momentum is constant,

then w( (e.e)k -(e.k)e) from the hint must be constant in time
so d/dt [wk - w(e.k)e ]= 0.

I can see how this would imply that dw/dt = 0, but not how d(e.k)/dt must also be 0

Have i done enough and just don't see it, or should i need another proof that (e.k) is constant.Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt at solving this problem is mostly correct. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, when you say "the second part i can do just by working through the differentiation of sinθ i - cosθj", it is important to note that the differentiation should be done with respect to time, since we are dealing with a dynamic system. So the correct statement would be "the second part I can do by taking the second derivative of sinθ i - cosθk with respect to time".

Secondly, in the last part, you have correctly shown that the angular momentum is constant (since the derivative of the triple vector product is zero). However, you cannot directly conclude that the derivative of w with respect to time is zero. This is because the derivative of w with respect to time would be equal to the derivative of the triple vector product with respect to time, which is not necessarily zero. What you can conclude is that the derivative of w with respect to time is equal to the derivative of the triple vector product with respect to time divided by m, which is a constant. This means that dw/dt is constant, but not necessarily zero.

To show that d(e.k)/dt is also constant, you can use the fact that (e.k) is a constant (since e and k are both unit vectors and their dot product is equal to cosθ), and therefore its derivative with respect to time is equal to zero. This means that d(e.k)/dt is also a constant, and since it is equal to zero at t=0, it must remain zero for all values of t.

I hope this clarifies your doubts. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

1. How does a conical pendulum prove constant frequency?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a mass attached to a string or rod, suspended from a fixed point and allowed to swing in a circular motion. The circular motion of the pendulum results in a constant frequency, which can be calculated using the formula f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period of the pendulum. As long as the length of the string and the angle of the pendulum remain constant, the frequency of the pendulum will also remain constant.

2. What factors affect the frequency of a conical pendulum?

The frequency of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the angle of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. The longer the string, the lower the frequency, while a smaller angle will result in a higher frequency. The acceleration due to gravity also plays a role in the frequency, with a higher acceleration resulting in a higher frequency.

3. How can the frequency of a conical pendulum be measured?

The frequency of a conical pendulum can be measured by counting the number of swings the pendulum makes in a given time period, usually one minute. The number of swings can then be divided by the time period to calculate the frequency. Alternatively, the period of the pendulum can be measured using a stopwatch and the frequency can then be calculated using the formula f = 1/T.

4. Is the frequency of a conical pendulum affected by air resistance?

Yes, the frequency of a conical pendulum can be affected by air resistance. As the pendulum swings, it displaces air molecules, which can create drag and slow down the motion of the pendulum. However, the effect of air resistance is usually minimal and can be ignored for most practical purposes.

5. What applications does the conical pendulum have in the real world?

Conical pendulums have various applications in the real world, including as a component in some timekeeping devices, such as pendulum clocks. They are also used in seismometers to measure seismic activity, as well as in some amusement park rides. Additionally, they are used in physics experiments to demonstrate the concept of circular motion and frequency.