Magnetic field direction created by rectangular circuit

In summary, the question is about the direction of the magnetic field created by a wire in a circuit with a potential difference. The answer is that the right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field, with the thumb pointing in the direction of conventional current, which goes from the positive to negative terminal.
yvesers
Hey guys, this is just a conceptual question so i don't think the scheme applies? I've got a circuit with a potential difference, when I use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field created by the wire of any side of the rectangle, do I point my thumb (direction of current) from the positive to negative terminal like the convention tells us to do, or do I use the direction of the current flowing from the negative to the positive terminal? I would very much appreciate someone shedding light on this.

Thanks,
Yves.

Physics news on Phys.org
thumb goes in the direction of conventional current, ie in the direction a positive charge would go, so from positive to negative

Last edited:

1. What is a rectangular circuit?

A rectangular circuit is a closed loop of conducting material, typically made of wire, that has the shape of a rectangle. It can be used to generate a magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field direction created by a rectangular circuit?

A magnetic field direction is created by a rectangular circuit by passing an electric current through the circuit. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current and the orientation of the circuit.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field direction created by a rectangular circuit?

The magnetic field direction created by a rectangular circuit is affected by the strength of the current, the shape and size of the circuit, and the material the circuit is made of. Additionally, the orientation of the circuit in relation to an external magnetic field can also affect the direction of the magnetic field created.

4. How can the direction of a magnetic field created by a rectangular circuit be determined?

The direction of a magnetic field created by a rectangular circuit can be determined using the right hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic field direction created by a rectangular circuit be reversed?

Yes, the magnetic field direction created by a rectangular circuit can be reversed by changing the direction of the current flowing through the circuit. This can be done by simply reversing the connections of the power source or by changing the orientation of the circuit.