Combining Physics with Evolutionary Biology

In summary: On the other hand, I started to get the impression that theoretical ecology and the like wasn't really that strong of a field. While there are some good areas of theoretical ecology (mostly in population genetics and population biology), I think that the field is still too small to have a great impact on the rest of the biological world. I also found that when I talked to biology professors about the subject, they sort of laughed it off.Anyway, I ended up going to graduate school in physics. I work in a theoretical biology group. I still do stuff in theoretical ecology (I'm even starting to do more network theory stuff now), but I mostly do stuff that's closer to biophysics. I still am interested
gweilo
Hi all

I'm a physics undergrad (rising year) and trying to find some kind of creative outlet for my studies in physics. I'm sort of fed up with the research academic world (at least in SS physics (solar cells) where I am now), I'm not sure if I'd want to go into other standard physics fields, but I do really enjoy physics, math, programming, etc.

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of any crossroads between physics/math and ecology/evolutionary biology? I have pretty much decided that whatever I do for a job, I'd like to be outdoors a good amount, and doing a mix of field work and analysis. I've thought about geophysics, but don't really want to work for an oil company. Dream job would have something to do with biology field work and analysis using network theory/nonlinear dynamics/computational simulation.

Seems like sort of a stretch, and I haven't found many resources, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the most of both worlds:
outdoors/nature and quantitative analysis? Or green job suggestions? (quantitative green architecture?)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gweilo said:
Hi all

I'm a physics undergrad (rising year) and trying to find some kind of creative outlet for my studies in physics. I'm sort of fed up with the research academic world (at least in SS physics (solar cells) where I am now), I'm not sure if I'd want to go into other standard physics fields, but I do really enjoy physics, math, programming, etc.

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of any crossroads between physics/math and ecology/evolutionary biology? I have pretty much decided that whatever I do for a job, I'd like to be outdoors a good amount, and doing a mix of field work and analysis. I've thought about geophysics, but don't really want to work for an oil company. Dream job would have something to do with biology field work and analysis using network theory/nonlinear dynamics/computational simulation.

Seems like sort of a stretch, and I haven't found many resources, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the most of both worlds:
outdoors/nature and quantitative analysis? Or green job suggestions? (quantitative green architecture?)

Thanks

Hi gweilo (鬼佬?),

There are certainly a lot of theoretical physicists and mathematicians doing theoretical biology/ecology, but I don't know if many of them actually do field work! Perhaps the more appropriate question is whether or not there are any field biologists/ecologists who play around with models as part of the analysis of their data. There's probably a few. Keep in mind, though, these jobs aren't plentiful in academia and may not even be plentiful outside of academia.

You'll have to look into it further, but I would guess that even your standard, run-of-the-mill ecologist has to use a lot of statistics in their line of work. They might even use some simple population models. That might not be quite as creative as you want, but odds are you won't find a non-academic position doing cutting-edge mathematical/theoretical biology/ecology outside of academia. Well, at least not many. The guy in the video on this webpage works at AT&T labs and does conservation biology, but again, that's a job that's probably harder to get than a regular academic job! (And who knows if he actually does field work?) I guess you could try emailing that guy and asking about what he does and if he knows of any similar jobs in industry.

I know this thread is kind of old but I am in the same situation right now so I thought that I would just revive this instead of making a new thread.

gweilo said:
I have pretty much decided that whatever I do for a job, I'd like to be outdoors a good amount, and doing a mix of field work and analysis. I've thought about geophysics, but don't really want to work for an oil company.

I'm considering geophysics as well, though my plan is to try to stay in academia. I don't think going into geophysics necessarily means that you HAVE to work for an oil company. Field work is a huge motivating factor for me as well, but unfortunately I don't think theoretical ecologists get to do much of that.

I've been searching around for "complex systems" programs and they seem to fit the bill quite well. Lots of ecology and evolution research going on as well as some geodynamics and even social science stuff.

I guess I just don't want to be limited to one topic but would like to study all different types of problems. I find dynamic systems and processes fascinating in general.

Have you looked into evolutionary algorithms? I think it's a good path since you say you enjoy math, physics, programming, and biology. I haven't heard of some application to actually biological systems, only seen it geared towards engineering optimization but I don't know much about the subject. You could look into that.

Has anyone actually gone down the path of theoretical ecology or the like? It seems as though information is very scarce on the topic as far as the appropriate path to take. From what I can gather, most people working in theoretical ecology are in math departments. I'd definitely like to find a program that is more interdisciplinary... It seems there would be a greater chance of doing some field work.

Funny for me to stumble across this post: I have been in your position exactly, and I felt the same things you're describing.

In my junior year of undergraduate physics studies, I picked up a second major in evolutionary biology and ecology. I started working in a lab working with biofuels and got some field experience through some odd biology internships. It was a great relief from the physics world, and I have to add, very, very interesting. So interesting that I am planning on going to graduate school in evolutionary biology and ecology.

There is certainly some crossover between the fields when it comes to ecoinformatics, which is all about modeling ecosystems and populations. A crossover that I have found really cool is in the physical mechanisms that plant and animals have developed over time; looking at flight, limb shape, jaw structure, and seed dispersal and how it aids in survival. There are also a lot of light/electricity interactions that plants and animals have that are all about physics. These are the only places where I have seen a really obvious physics/bio connection.

Regardless, I've got to say that a physics background will be an asset to you anywhere you go. If you plan on doing a complete path switch, you're going to come to your new field with a perspective that most others don't share. This is a what good science is all about.

My advice is to follow your bliss and allow yourself to go explore your other sides. Not everyone feels satisfied by only doing physics, math, programming- I'm one of those people. I think it's important to feed your whole self and go see what else is out there.

Good luck!

Last edited:

1. How do physics and evolutionary biology intersect?

Physics and evolutionary biology intersect in various ways, such as understanding the physical laws and principles that govern the functioning and evolution of biological systems. For example, physics concepts like thermodynamics, mechanics, and electromagnetism can help explain the mechanisms behind evolutionary processes, such as natural selection and genetic variation.

2. How can physics help us understand biological systems?

Physics provides a quantitative and analytical approach to understanding biological systems. By applying physical principles and mathematical models, we can gain insights into the complex processes of life, such as metabolism, movement, and reproduction. Physics also allows us to make predictions and test hypotheses about biological phenomena.

3. How has the study of physics influenced our understanding of evolution?

The study of physics has greatly influenced our understanding of evolution by providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental physical processes that underlie biological evolution. For example, the laws of thermodynamics help explain why certain evolutionary pathways are more likely than others, and the principles of genetics and information theory have advanced our understanding of how genetic variations arise and are passed down through generations.

4. What are some examples of how physics has been applied in evolutionary biology?

Physics has been applied in evolutionary biology in various ways, such as in the study of biomechanics, which uses principles of physics to understand how organisms move and interact with their environment. Other examples include using mathematical models to study population dynamics and applying principles of fluid dynamics to understand the locomotion of animals like birds and fish.

5. How can the combination of physics and evolutionary biology contribute to future scientific advancements?

The combination of physics and evolutionary biology has the potential to contribute to future scientific advancements in numerous ways. By understanding the physical principles that govern biological processes, we can develop new technologies and treatments for diseases. Additionally, studying the evolution of biological systems can provide insights into the origins of life and inform our understanding of the potential for life on other planets.