Exploring the Irrational: Pi and E in Math and Beyond

• Thread starter Jedi_Sawyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation is centered around the topic of irrational numbers, specifically pi and e, and their potential rational combinations. The group discusses whether or not it has ever been proven that any mathematical operation combining pi and e results in a rational number, and if there are any other irrational numbers not related to pi or e. The group also explores the concept of randomness and how true random numbers can be generated. Finally, there is a brief mention of an unsolved problem involving combinations of pi and sqrt(2).
Jedi_Sawyer
Does anyone know if it has ever been proved that pi divided e, added to e, or any other mathematical operation combining these two irrational numbers is rational. Another thing does anybody know of any other irrational numbers that is not some derivative of pi and e.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^{i\pi} = -1[/tex]

jedi_sawyer said:
another thing does anybody know of any other irrational numbers that is not some derivative of pi and e.

Yeah I understood that Euler's idenity combined e, i, and pi and you can find a good write up of why that is in Penrose's book "The Road to Reality". I guess I should have specified I was not interested in polar coordinate solutions where pi is integral to the coordinate system.

well the fraction 0.1234... seems to be a well have a predictable pattern for what any arbirary next digit should be, so induction would solve what the next digit should be. I guess it could be an irrational number if we give up on randomness.

Jedi_Sawyer said:
well the fraction 0.1234... seems to be a well have a predictable pattern for what any arbirary next digit should be, so induction would solve what the next digit should be. I guess it could be an irrational number if we give up on randomness.

There is an algorithm for working out, in order, the digits of sqrt(2) and sqrt(2) is certainly not rational.
I'm not sure what you mean by randomness though..
Give me an example of a number with 'randomness' please.

Jedi_Sawyer said:
Does anyone know if it has ever been proved that pi divided e, added to e, or any other mathematical operation combining these two irrational numbers is rational. Another thing does anybody know of any other irrational numbers that is not some derivative of pi and e.

It's an open question. Nobody knows whether or not some rational linear combination of e and pi is rational or not.

I can't imagine that there is any way using only multiplication and addition of [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]e[/itex] that would give a rational number unless it simplified to something trivial like
[tex]\frac{e}{\pi}-\frac{e}{\pi}[/tex]
I bet this can be proven for all transcendental numbers if it is true, but as it is, there is not a well defined question. Since euler's equation wasn't what you were looking for, you should be more precise about what you mean by "mathematical operation"

There are a lot of numbers that are irrational. Your'e all right about that. I'm actually looking into the origin of randomness, how could a truly random number ever be generated, and I have to do more thinking on it before I can phrase the question rignt.

Thank you over and out.

There is also the famous 0.10010001000010000010000001... and variations on that.

Jedi_Sawyer said:
There are a lot of numbers that are irrational. Your'e all right about that. I'm actually looking into the origin of randomness, how could a truly random number ever be generated, and I have to do more thinking on it before I can phrase the question rignt.

Thank you over and out.

There are lots of numbers that can not be described by any finite-length algorithm or formula. These are the non-computable numbers. Any number, even an irrational, that can be computed to any desired precision by an algorithm, can't reasonably be called random.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_number

You might also want to look at the discussion on Wu's riddle forum

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgiPost name: Combinations of Pi and Sqrt(2)

The problem:

"Say I am given a number X = A*[sqrt]2 + B*[pi], where A and B are integers.
Given X, how can you find A and B, without using brute force?"

Jedi_Sawyer said:

Thank you over and out.

It is deceptively difficult to actually come up with a completely random set of numbers. The best way to do it is via physics systems. For example, nuclear decay is totally random, and by listing of numbers you get out of a geiger counter, you'd have a truly random list of integers, however, you'd be limiting your integers to a preferred range. Certain numbers would be more likely than others.

soothsayer said:
It is deceptively difficult to actually come up with a completely random set of numbers.

This might be true, but you are first going to have to actually define what you mean by random. Without a working definition, a discussion about it is meaningless.

1. What is the significance of Pi and E in math?

Pi and E are two of the most important and widely used mathematical constants. Pi, denoted by the Greek letter π, represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter and is approximately equal to 3.14. E, also known as Euler's number, is a mathematical constant that is the base of the natural logarithm and is approximately equal to 2.718. These constants have important applications in various areas of math and science, including geometry, calculus, and physics.

2. How are Pi and E calculated?

Pi is calculated using the formula C = πd, where C is the circumference and d is the diameter of a circle. This formula can also be written as A = πr², where A is the area of the circle and r is the radius. E is calculated using the infinite series 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ..., where n! (n factorial) is equal to n x (n-1) x (n-2) x ... x 2 x 1. This series converges to the value of E as more terms are added.

3. What is the relationship between Pi and E?

Although Pi and E are both important constants in math, they are not directly related to each other. However, they are both irrational numbers, meaning they cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Pi is also a transcendental number, while E is a non-algebraic number.

4. What is the significance of irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers, such as Pi and E, have infinite decimal representations without any repeating pattern. These numbers are essential in mathematics because they allow for precise measurements and calculations that would not be possible with only rational numbers. Irrational numbers also have applications in geometry, physics, and other scientific fields.

5. How are Pi and E used in real-world applications?

Pi and E have numerous real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, Pi is used in calculations for circular motion, such as the rotation of wheels or gears. E is used in exponential growth and decay equations, and it is also used in the calculation of compound interest. Both constants are essential for understanding and predicting natural phenomena in many different fields.