A program where I can draw a function and calculate the integral?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the integral of a function using an oscilloscope. The speaker initially used printscreen to capture the signals but later realized they could export the waveforms. They then asked if there was a program that could easily find the integral instead of using the traditional method of rectangles and triangles. The response suggested using Simpson's first rule and mentioned other numerical procedures. However, the speaker later discovered a way to do it with Matlab.
Readinglevelup
I borrowed a high-quality oscilloscope from Tektronix and when we did our measurements, I basically printscreened each new signal. If I had realized I could export the waveforms, I would have, but I didn't.

Basically, I know what the function looks like, but I need to find its integral. Aside from dividing the function by rectangles and triangles, is there a program who can take a picture a easily find the integral?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating by triangles and rectangles is cute, but things have advanced somewhat. If you are capable of picking points off of your waveform at equal intervals, you can use Simpson's first rule to figure out the area under the curve: http://www.mathwords.com/s/simpsons_rule.htm

There are several other procedures for numerical information.

SteamKing said:
Integrating by triangles and rectangles is cute, but things have advanced somewhat. If you are capable of picking points off of your waveform at equal intervals, you can use Simpson's first rule to figure out the area under the curve: http://www.mathwords.com/s/simpsons_rule.htm

There are several other procedures for numerical information.

I actually found a way to do it with Matlab. Thank you, though!

1. How do I draw a function on the program?

To draw a function on the program, simply input the function's equation into the designated field and press the "graph" button. The function will then be displayed on the graphing area.

2. Can I draw multiple functions on the same graph?

Yes, you can draw multiple functions on the same graph by inputting each function's equation into separate fields and pressing the "graph" button. Each function will be displayed with a different color on the same graph.

3. How do I calculate the integral of a function?

To calculate the integral of a function, first draw the function on the graph and then click on the "integral" button. The program will automatically calculate and display the integral value on the screen.

4. Can I export the graph and integral calculation results?

Yes, you can export the graph and integral calculation results by clicking on the "export" button. This will save the results as an image or a file that can be accessed and shared later.

5. Is there a limit to the complexity of functions that can be drawn and calculated?

The program can handle a wide range of function complexities, but there may be limitations depending on the specific program you are using. It is best to check the program's instructions or reach out to the developer for more information.