What is the weight of this bucket after time?

• Thread starter Matriculator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Weight
In summary, the question involves calculating the weight on a scale after water falls into a bucket at a rate of 0.230 L/s from a height of 2.40 m. The weight of the water and the bucket must be taken into account, and the density of water (1 kg/L) is also important. The momentum of the falling water and the impulse it creates when hitting the bucket also play a role in the final weight on the scale. Converting the volume rate to a mass rate is necessary for the second part of the problem.
Matriculator

Homework Statement

Water falls without splashing at a rate of 0.230 L/s from a height of 2.40 m into a 0.630-kg bucket on a scale. If the bucket is originally empty, what does the scale read 2.90 s after water starts to accumulate in it?

Homework Equations

m1vi+m2vi=m1vf+m2vf

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a momentum homework problem from last week. I know the answer which is 14.29 Newton, just not how it's obtained. I know that density is involved although we have not covered it in class yet. I know that we're adding the weight of the water to the weight of the bucket and after 2.9 seconds, we have 0.667 liters of water in the bucket. But how can we obtain weight from this? And what else factors into the weight of our system besides the weight of the bucket? As I'm not sure of why a height is given. Can someone please guide me through this? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
you'll have take two things into account to solve this problem.

First, the amount of water already in the bucket at time t. density of water (1 kg/L) is one of the things a person is expected to know, this question is no different. This water has weight.

Second: you know that water is falling from a given height so it has a certain momentum before reaching the bucket, so when it hits the bucket impulse acts on both bucket as well as differential mass of water. Due to this impulse, the reading of the scale would more than the weight of water actually in the bucket.

I hope it helps!

Hint: convert volume rate to mass rate, for second part!...don't forget about the weight of bucket!

Last edited:

1. What is the weight of the bucket after time?

The weight of the bucket after time will depend on the factors such as the material of the bucket, the contents of the bucket, and the environmental conditions. The weight may change due to evaporation, absorption, or chemical reactions.

2. How do you measure the weight of a bucket after time?

The weight of the bucket can be measured using a scale or balance. The bucket should be placed on the scale and the weight should be recorded. To accurately measure the weight after time, it is important to consider the tare weight (weight of the empty bucket) and subtract it from the total weight.

3. Will the weight of the bucket increase or decrease after time?

The weight of the bucket may increase or decrease after time, depending on the factors mentioned earlier. For example, if the bucket contains a liquid and the liquid evaporates, the weight of the bucket will decrease. However, if the contents of the bucket undergo a chemical reaction and produce gas, the weight of the bucket will increase.

4. How does time affect the weight of the bucket?

The weight of the bucket may change over time due to various factors such as evaporation, absorption, or chemical reactions. Time can also affect the weight of the bucket indirectly, such as through changes in temperature or humidity which can affect the weight of the contents of the bucket.

5. Can the weight of the bucket after time be predicted?

The weight of the bucket after time can be predicted to some extent by considering the factors that may affect it. However, there may be external factors that are difficult to predict, such as changes in environmental conditions or unexpected chemical reactions, which can also affect the weight of the bucket.