Peak impact force of a falling object

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the force produced when a climber falls onto a rope. The weight of the climber, height of the fall, and duration of the fall are provided as parameters. The equations for force, velocity, and kinetic energy are mentioned, and there is a request for help in putting all the information together to calculate the force felt in a fall. The concept of work-energy theorem is brought up, and the aim is to understand how to calculate the force felt in different fall scenarios.
Cornish30
Hi there,

I'm trying to work out how much force is produced if a climber was to fall onto a rope.

I do realize that it would depend on the rope and whether it stretched or not but for this case let's just say it does not have any give in it.

If I use the example of a climb who weighs 80kg, he falls 8m and takes 1.5 seconds can we/I work out the force which is felt?

With my research I have found out that...
Force = Mass X Acceleration
Velocity/ Speed = Distance / Time
Kinetic energy = .5(Mass (Velocity X Velocity))

Can somebody please help me put it all together please??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cornish30! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What level are you at?

Have you done the work-energy theorem?

The force required to stop someone depends on how long in time it takes to stop them, or what distance it takes to stop them …

the more time (or distance) available, the less the force needed. :wink:

I'm not a school or college just trying to get a better understanding for my work.

Work-energy theorm!?

All I would like to be able to do is work out how much fore someone or a piece of equipment would feel if they were to fall and suddenly stop.

I know there are lot's of variables but if I know the equations then I can work out different falls.

Does that make sense?

1. What is the peak impact force of a falling object?

The peak impact force of a falling object is the maximum amount of force that is exerted on the ground or surface upon impact.

2. How is the peak impact force of a falling object calculated?

The peak impact force of a falling object is calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What factors affect the peak impact force of a falling object?

The peak impact force of a falling object is affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the surface it lands on and the height from which it falls.

4. Can the peak impact force of a falling object be reduced?

Yes, the peak impact force of a falling object can be reduced by increasing the time of impact or by decreasing the mass or velocity of the object.

5. Why is the peak impact force of a falling object important to understand?

Understanding the peak impact force of a falling object is important for safety reasons, as it can help determine the potential damage that a falling object can cause and inform safety measures to reduce the impact force.