Relativity - Fast and slow moving objects

• Thread starter LiamG_G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary: E_total is just the gamma multiplied by the mass and energy. So in summary, gamma is a unitless number that describes how much the mass is less than the speed of light.
LiamG_G

Homework Statement

(a) A particle is moving so fast with respect to an observer that the γ factor of its rest frame with respect to the observer’s rest frame is 108. By how much is the velocity of the particle less than that of light?

(b) A particle is moving very slowly with respect to an observer (β << 1). Find an approximate expression for γ up to order β2 using a binomial expansion.

(c) If the mass of a particle is m and its velocity is v = βc, then its total energy, which includes its rest energy, mc2 and its kinetic energy, is E = γmc2. Using the same technique as in question (b), find an approximate expression for the difference between its total energy and its rest energy in the case where v << c.

Homework Equations

γ=1/√(1-β2) [1]
β=v/c [2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use eq [1] for part (a), but obviously that just leaves me with v=c, which doesn't work as it leaves me with 1/0 = 108

For (b) I'm not sure how to use binomial expansion when x (or β in this case) is squared inside the brackets.

Physics news on Phys.org
LiamG_G said:
(a) A particle is moving so fast with respect to an observer that the γ factor of its rest frame with respect to the observer’s rest frame is 108.

Unitless numbers are useless in this context. Also, the observers rest frame is not moving at all relative to the observer, so multiplying zero by your 10**8 still gives you zero.

LiamG_G said:
I tried to use eq [1] for part (a), but obviously that just leaves me with v=c, which doesn't work as it leaves me with 1/0 = 108
Why do you think it leaves you with v = c?

phinds said:
Unitless numbers are useless in this context. Also, the observers rest frame is not moving at all relative to the observer, so multiplying zero by your 10**8 still gives you zero.
Gamma may be unitless, but it's certainly not useless.

LiamG_G said:

Homework Statement

(a) A particle is moving so fast with respect to an observer that the γ factor of its rest frame with respect to the observer’s rest frame is 108. By how much is the velocity of the particle less than that of light?

(b) A particle is moving very slowly with respect to an observer (β << 1). Find an approximate expression for γ up to order β2 using a binomial expansion.

(c) If the mass of a particle is m and its velocity is v = βc, then its total energy, which includes its rest energy, mc2 and its kinetic energy, is E = γmc2. Using the same technique as in question (b), find an approximate expression for the difference between its total energy and its rest energy in the case where v << c.

Homework Equations

γ=1/√(1-β2) [1]
β=v/c [2]

The Attempt at a Solution

For (b) I'm not sure how to use binomial expansion when x (or β in this case) is squared inside the brackets.
Part (a) leaves you with v = c only if you didn't do it right. Try squaring both sides and solving algebraically for β2. Then take the square root of both sides. One of the terms under the square root sign will be very small. You need to figure out how to approximate the effects of this term mathematically.

Doc Al said:
Gamma may be unitless, but it's certainly not useless.

Ah ... I misunderstood. I thought he was referring to the Y-axis speed.

LiamG_G said:
It's nothing complicated. Just expand $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y}}$$ and then substitute ##y=\beta^2##.

So let's come back to this question from 2 years ago ! (I'm now stuck on the same questions)

For (b) we use the binomial expansion, therefore $$\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$
Which gives us $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}} = (1-\beta^2)^\frac{-1}{2}$$
And with binomial expansion we obtain $$\gamma=1+\frac{1}{2}\beta^2$$
Correct?
However I'm struggling with part (c) of the question.
We have $$E_{total} = \gamma mc^2 = mc^2+KE = mc^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2$$
Where do I go from there?

Isaac Pepper said:
So let's come back to this question from 2 years ago ! (I'm now stuck on the same questions)

For (b) we use the binomial expansion, therefore $$\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$
Which gives us $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}} = (1-\beta^2)^\frac{-1}{2}$$
Correct?
The question asks to calculate ##\gamma m c^2 - mc^2 ## in the non relativistic limit (which gives the usual non relativistic kinetic energy).

Isaac Pepper said:
Correct?
Yes.

Isaac Pepper said:
Well, what's the rest energy?

The rest energy is just ##mc^2##
So it's asking ##\gamma mc^2-mc^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
Where ##m## can cancel out
leaving ##\gamma c^2-c^2=\frac{1}{2}v^2##

I don't understand where the binomial expansion comes into be honest...

Isaac Pepper said:
Where ##m## can cancel out
leaving ##\gamma c^2-c^2=\frac{1}{2}v^2##
Don't cancel the m.

Isaac Pepper said:
I don't understand where the binomial expansion comes into be honest...
The same place it came in in part b: Deriving an approximation for gamma.

##\gamma mc^2-mc^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 \rightarrow \gamma mc^2 -mc^2=\frac{1}{2}m\beta^2c^2##
where ##\gamma = \frac{1}{2}\beta^2+1##
Therefore ##\frac{1}{2}\beta^2=\gamma-1##

Which means that $$\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}m\beta^2c^2=mc^2(\gamma-1)$$
$$\gamma mc^2-mc^2 = mc^2(\gamma-1)$$
Is that correct?
If so thank you for all the help, the helpers on this forum don't receive enough praise for everything they do, and I'm so grateful !

I think you're overthinking that last question. All you needed to do is get an expression for the difference between the total energy and its rest energy, and realize that it is simply the usual low-speed expression for kinetic energy. You showed that already!

When you wrote:
Isaac Pepper said:
I should have said: Done! (That's all you needed to do.)

Doc Al said:
When you wrote:
I should have said: Done! (That's all you needed to do.)
Time to close this thread?

Chet

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How does relativity affect fast moving objects?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down. This means that a fast moving object will experience time at a slower rate and appear to have a greater mass than when it is at rest.

3. What is time dilation in the theory of relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity, where time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that a clock on a fast moving object will appear to tick slower than a clock on a stationary object.

4. Can relativity be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the effects of relativity can be observed in everyday life. For example, the GPS system would not work accurately without taking into account the time dilation caused by the satellites' high speeds. Additionally, astronauts in space experience time dilation due to their high speeds.

5. How does relativity affect slow moving objects?

Relativity also affects slow moving objects, but the effects are much smaller and more difficult to observe. Time dilation still occurs, but it is only noticeable at extremely high speeds. The mass of a slow moving object will also increase, but this effect is so small that it is often negligible.