Post-Graduation Plans: Job Hunting and Finding a Work-Life Balance

In summary, the speaker recently graduated with a 1st Class Honours in Physics and received a prize for their laboratory project. They are now looking for a job in a field related to Physics. They also expressed feeling conflicted about societal expectations after graduation and have decided to do some travelling and partying before pursuing their career.
kirovman
Just Graduated last week with a 1st Class Honours in Physics.

I also got awarded a prize with my laboratory partner for best laboratory project for that year in the School of Physics... so I'm pretty happy.

Now I've got to get a job, hopefully in something with some relation to Physics.

Anyone else graduated this year?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hooray, well done! :smile:

kirovman said:
Now I've got to get a job, hopefully in something with some relation to Physics.

Anyone else graduated this year?

at first i thought that, as if there's some rule saying that i have to get married, have kids, etc because that's what's "supposed" to happen after grad. i was pretty negative also; i thought wtf why am i not moving my ass & making something of myself. since i spent 6yrs doing nothing but school i also wanted to get out more, travel, etc so i was kind of conflicted & now I've decided i will do some travelling, partying, etc.

1. What exactly is a 1st Class Honours in Physics?

A 1st Class Honours in Physics is the highest level of academic achievement that can be received for a Bachelor's degree in Physics. It indicates that the student has achieved excellent grades and has demonstrated a deep understanding of the subject.

2. How is a 1st Class Honours in Physics different from other honors?

A 1st Class Honours is typically reserved for students who have achieved an overall grade average of at least 70%, with a significant percentage of those grades being in the A-range. This is higher than other honors, such as a 2nd Class Honours (usually requiring a grade average of 60%) or a 3rd Class Honours (usually requiring a grade average of 40%).

3. What are the benefits of earning a 1st Class Honours in Physics?

Earning a 1st Class Honours in Physics can open up many opportunities for further education and career advancement. It demonstrates a high level of academic achievement and can make you stand out among other job or graduate school applicants. It can also provide a strong foundation for pursuing a career in research or academia.

4. What types of courses and assignments are typically required for a 1st Class Honours in Physics?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, students pursuing a 1st Class Honours in Physics will be expected to take a variety of advanced physics courses, as well as complete a research project or thesis. They may also be required to maintain a certain grade average and participate in extracurricular activities related to physics.

5. Is it possible to earn a 1st Class Honours in Physics with a non-physics background?

While it may be more challenging, it is possible for students with a non-physics background to earn a 1st Class Honours in Physics. Some universities offer bridging programs or foundation courses to help students catch up on necessary physics knowledge before entering the program. However, it is important to have a strong interest and aptitude for physics in order to succeed in this program.