The product of all irrationals

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of multiplying irrational numbers and the potential contradiction that arises when considering the product of all irrational numbers. This concept is further explored through the use of examples and mathematical definitions.
Loren Booda
Some speculation:

Given that irrational numbers can be grouped in products of 2, 3...or N-->oo members, the products themselves being irrational,

and

given that irrational numbers can be grouped in products of 2, 3...or N-->oo members, the products themselves being rational,

it would seem that the product of all irrationals would be both irrational and rational, something like the limiting value of the sine function.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The product of all irrationals? mm, you may want to read the thread in general maths about adding all the numbers between 0 and 1.

anyway, this alleged product, how on Earth are you defining it? I mean, I know how to multiply 2, 3 or finitely many numbers, and I know how to define the product of a sequence (1+x_1),(1+x_2),... , which exists exactly when the sum of the x_i's exists (and none of them is -1) but multiplying together an uncountable unordered set of numbers?

Thanks for opening my eyes, matt. Apparently it was late at night when I baked my 1/2 idea.

What is "The product of all irrationals"?

The product of all irrationals is a mathematical concept that refers to the result of multiplying all irrational numbers together.

What are irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be written as a ratio of two integers. They are numbers that cannot be expressed as a decimal with a finite or repeating pattern.

Is the product of all irrationals a real number?

Yes, the product of all irrationals is a real number. It is not a rational number, but it still falls within the set of real numbers.

What is the value of the product of all irrationals?

The value of the product of all irrationals is an infinite and non-repeating decimal. It cannot be expressed as a finite number or a repeating pattern.

Why is the product of all irrationals important in mathematics?

The product of all irrationals is an important concept in mathematics because it helps us understand the nature of irrational numbers and their relationship to rational numbers. It also has applications in various fields such as geometry, number theory, and physics.