Charged Particle in Magnetic Field

In summary, the particle is constrained to the (x,y)-plane by the strong magnetic field and is restricted to a certain momentum. The particle's angular momentum is not constant and depends on the coordinate system used.
Spinny
We have a particle with electric charge [tex]e[/tex] that moves in a strong magnetic field [tex]B[/tex]. The particle is constrained to the (x,y)-plane, and the magnetic field is orthogonal to the plane, and constant with [tex]B[/tex] as the [tex]z[/tex]-component of [tex]\mathbf{B}[/tex].

Furthermore we have the rotationally symmetric form of the vector potential,

[tex]\mathbf{A} = -\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{B}[/tex]

the relation between between velovity and momentum

[tex]\mathbf{v} = \frac{1}{m}\left(\mathbf{p}-\frac{e}{c}\mathbf{A} \right)[/tex]

and the Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \frac{1}{2m}\left(\mathbf{p}-\frac{e}{c}\mathbf{A} \right)^2[/tex]

We now have to show by use of the equation of motion that, generally, the mechanical angular momentum

[tex]L_{mek} = m(xv_y-yv_x)[/tex]

is not a constant ot motion, whereas

[tex]L_{mek}+\left(\frac{eB}{2c} \right)r^2[/tex]

is conserved.

I'm really not sure where or how to start. Do I have to use the Lagrangian and the Euler-Lagrange equation? If so, how do I find out wether or not any of these expressions are constants of motion or not? Or am I way off?

Edit: minor correction to equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean in your first equation by taking the cross product of 1/2 and B, but to answer your question, generally conserved quantities arise when the langrangian (or hamiltonian) is symmetric with respect to a change with one of the coordinates. Conservation of angular momentum comes from symmetry in rotations, ie, in the coordinate theta. Find a system of coordinates such that there is some theta-like coordinate with respect to which the lagrangian is invariant.

StatusX said:
I don't know what you mean in your first equation by taking the cross product of 1/2 and B, but to answer your question, generally conserved quantities arise when the langrangian (or hamiltonian) is symmetric with respect to a change with one of the coordinates. Conservation of angular momentum comes from symmetry in rotations, ie, in the coordinate theta. Find a system of coordinates such that there is some theta-like coordinate with respect to which the lagrangian is invariant.

First off, I've corrected the first equation, now it hopefully makes more sense :smile:

Second, I'm afraid it didn't help me much, the rest of your post. You see, this is really a quantum mechanical course, so I'm a bit surprised we got a problem like this. Anyway, I don't know how to find "a system of coordinates such that there is some theta-like coordinate with respect to which the lagrangian is invariant", or even where to begin with all this. I don't think this is supposed to be such a difficult problem, but then again, everything is relative :wink:

What is a charged particle in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field is a particle with an electric charge that is traveling through a region where there is a magnetic field present.

How does a charged particle behave in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field will experience a force that is perpendicular to both its velocity and the magnetic field. This force causes the particle to move in a circular or helical path, depending on its initial velocity.

What is the equation for the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The equation for the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

What factors affect the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particle, and the initial velocity and angle of the particle's motion.

What are some real-world applications of charged particles in magnetic fields?

Charged particles in magnetic fields are used in a variety of applications, such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in the production of electricity through generators and in the propulsion systems of spacecraft.