Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
Red-Currant Jelly with Habanero Pepper

http://www.thedailygreen.com/2007/05/25/red-currant-jelly-with-habanero-pepper/1882/
Brushed over grilled chicken and peaches right before serving (with extra served on the side), a sweet-hot glaze of red currant and habanero jelly adds a spicy punch.

Ingredients
2 1/2 pounds red currants, stems removed
1 cup spring water
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon butter
1/2 pouch liquid fruit pectin (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
1/2 habanero pepper, seeded and cut into strips

Preparation
1. Make the jelly: Rinse and drain currants and transfer to a large saucepan. Crush the fruit using a potato masher, add spring water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes. Run the fruit and any liquid through a sieve or food mill to remove the seeds. Transfer the puree to a jelly bag or a colander lined with 4 layers of wet cheesecloth and let drip overnight.

2. Process the jelly: Transfer the juice to a large saucepan, add the sugar, and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves — about 10 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in the butter. Stir in the pectin and cook for exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the peppers. Sterilize four 1/2-pint jars. Pour jelly into the hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Securely cap each jar and process using the boiling-water canning method for 5 minutes. Store in a cool pantry for up to 1 year.

I love red currant jelly, and black currant too! But red currant and habanero jelly sounds EXCELLENT! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Some background information

Habanero Jelly Recipe - http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1240/Habanero-Jelly86576.shtml
Ingredients:
3 fresh habanero peppers
1 cup finely chopped orange, red or yellow sweet bell pepper
3 cups extra fine white sugar
1 cup white vinegar (5% acidity)
1 pouch CERTO liquid pectin

Directions:

Take a pair of kitchen shears or a small paring knife and cut several small slits in each of the habaneros. This will allow the oil of the pepper to infuse the jelly as it is cooking.

Put the habaneros, bell peppers, sugar, and vinegar into a large saucepan and bring to a full rolling boil (one that does not stop when you stir it) over medium high heat.

Boil for a full 5 minutes. Stir the mixture constantly with a wooden spoon to avoid burning.

Remove pan from the heat.

Immediately stir in the pectin.

Remove the habaneros with tongs and discard.

Ladle the mixture into sterilized half pint canning jars, using a wide mouth plastic funnel, with two piece lids leaving 1/4 inch headspace.

Wipe rims with a clean, damp paper towel.

Apply prepared lids and rings; tighten gently. See manufacturer's instructions for how to prepare the lids and bands for the canning process.

Process in a boiling water bath canner, following manufacturer's instructions, for 10 minutes.

Remove jars to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store the processed jelly in a cool dry place for up to one year.

If you don't want to "can" the jelly for long term storage, you can ladle the hot mixture in sterilized heatproof glass jars with plastic caps, let it cool completely and store it in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Raspberry-Habanero Jelly - http://www.thatsmyhome.com/general/raspberry-habanero-jelly.htm

3 habañero peppers
2 sweet red peppers
1 sweet green pepper
6 ounces fresh red raspberries
2 1/4 cups water
1 cup vinegar
1 package Sure Jel Pectin
4 cups granulated sugar

Chop up the peppers in a processor until they are chopped up fine. Put all but 1/4 cup peppers in a saucepan with raspberries and water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes.

Press through a sieve or jelly bag. You should have 2 cups prepared juice. Return the juice to a cleaned pot. Add vinegar and reserved chopped peppers. Let cool 15 minutes.

Add pectin. Bring to a boil. Add sugar. Bring back to boil and boil hard for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, skim foam. Ladle into hot 1/2 pint jars leaving 1/8" headspace. Seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes*.

*recommended by the USDA

The sites cited above have annoying popups and other garbage. :grumpy:

For those who can't wait - http://www.simplysmartliving.com/SimplyGourmet-Quick-Dip-Mixes-Pepper-Jellies_c_116.html

Those sound great, Astronuc. I'll have to dig up and post the sweet hot pepper jelly recipes that we use. Our nieces and nephews learned decades ago the the pretty pink jelly was habanero and was MUCH hotter and meaner than the plain green jalapeno jelly. Every Christmas, some kids tried to rope the other kids into putting the pink jelly on their cracker/cheese/sausage/bacon/sardine/smoked fish (just choose your toppings!) snack.

Have any of you made (or attempted to make) a crazy hot gravy for thanksgiving?

Math Jeans said:
Have any of you made (or attempted to make) a crazy hot gravy for thanksgiving?
I haven't, but I feel free to add hot salsas/relishes to any food that I eat, and that's a better way, IMO. Just be flexible and realize that most folks don't share your love of heat. When your mother starts figuring out how to turn turkey, vegetables, etc, into nice left-over meals, she does not need to have to deal with your need for heat. Lots of people could be turned off by that, so be flexible. Never push your love for heat on others - give people a chance to experiment, appreciate, and convert, and you'll have hot-pepper buddies to share recipes with.

Astronuc said:
I've got a bag of habaneros in the freezer with which to experiment. Muahahahaaaa!

And I'll be growing more next year. This winter I'll be amending the ground with more organic material.

Jalapeño + raspberry jam is nice on cream cheese and crackers. Jalapeño and raspberry jam is a good combo, and I imagine it might go well with duck.
I want samples ASAP! Why have I not been kept up to date on this!?

turbo-1 said:
I want samples ASAP! Why have I not been kept up to date on this!?
You mean the habs or the jals and raspberry?

The habs have been in the freezer since last year. Do you think the samples would be OK if I mailed them express. And I'll send you some Thai hots from this year.

Also Corredoira's paper has 260 references! Great paper!

Astronuc said:
Also Corredoira's paper has 260 references! Great paper!
Is this qualified to hit the "hot stuff" category? Martin's work is driven by observations and when observation challenges theory, there can be sparks. The idea that cosmologists should leave everything on the table is not new, but it is contentious, especially when $$$$$ projects are highly touted publicly. There is a lot of money, a lot of reputations, and a lot of academic "bragging rights" that can be threatened by such openness and an insistence on epistemology.

Cosmology aside, my wife and I had a really nice supper tonight on the back deck (mid-70's) with grilled Atlantic salmon in dill sauce, grilled onions and potatoes, and buttercup squash. It's like early summer, but with no black flies or mosquitoes. HEAVEN! For a change, I did not haul out any salsas, chili relishes, etc. Just some Annie's Naturals ketchup for the potatoes and onions. I have some left-overs put up in a dish for tomorrow's breakfast, and expect to break out a jar of hot red tomato salsa for that.

Last edited:
I was just starting to read Martin's paper and noticed 26 pages, of which 6 were devoted to 260 references!

I'm halfway through the jar of habanero sauce! That stuff is addicting. :approve: :tongue2: :biggrin:

The initial sweetness is followed by a growing warm and tingly feeling and the afterburn is exquisite. I suggest you name it Turbo-1's Sweet Habanero Afterburn Hot Sauce.

Astronuc said:
I was just starting to read Martin's paper and noticed 26 pages, of which 6 were devoted to 260 references!

I'm halfway through the jar of habanero sauce! That stuff is addicting. :approve: :tongue2: :biggrin:

The initial sweetness is followed by a growing warm and tingly feeling and the afterburn is exquisite. I suggest you name it Turbo-1's Sweet Habanero Afterburn Hot Sauce.
Half-way through?! I might suggest some self-restraint because my output in that vein is very limited. Can you stand the withdrawal? I can live with the name, but it's pretty much a standard implementation of my chili relish that happened to correspond with a decent habanero crop. BTW, is the dill content OK or do you think I can dispense with that? My chili-head neighbor wants me to drop the dill, but I like the richness that it adds to the initial flavor.

Do you want to move up here and be my marketing manager? I have friends and relatives with arable land that we could lease, and I have access to cow manure and other fertilizers. It would be quite ironic to make Maine the center of scary-hot salsas and specialty chili relishes. --- Like Pace's "New York City?" campaign. On the other hand, the products should speak for themselves.

turbo-1 said:
Half-way through?! I might suggest some self-restraint because my output in that vein is very limited. Can you stand the withdrawal? I can live with the name, but it's pretty much a standard implementation of my chili relish that happened to correspond with a decent habanero crop. BTW, is the dill content OK or do you think I can dispense with that? My chili-head neighbor wants me to drop the dill, but I like the richness that it adds to the initial flavor.
Well - Turbo's Sweet Habanero Afterburn Hotsauce is that great! I consume it by the table spoon. I could go back to Dave's Insanity, MadDog Inferno or Satan's Blood, but they're not the same. You've hit upon the right blend of sweetness and picante. Pain 100% is pretty good, but it's minor league stuff.

I'll send you some of my habs.

Do you want to move up here and be my marketing manager? I have friends and relatives with arable land that we could lease, and I have access to cow manure and other fertilizers. It would be quite ironic to make Maine the center of scary-hot salsas and specialty chili relishes. --- Like Pace's "New York City?" campaign. On the other hand, the products should speak for themselves.
Sure! Yeah, I noticed some available acreage up that way - not to far from your place. :biggrin:

If I have extra peppers on my plant and don't know what to do with them, is it a good idea to just make chili powder from them? The reason is because chili powder lasts and is (in my opinion) very usefull. Is habanero chili powder a good idea?

Astronuc said:
The habs have been in the freezer since last year. Do you think the samples would be OK if I mailed them express. And I'll send you some Thai hots from this year.
I missed this! I have put away all my canning stuff for the year, so save the peppers for your own use, and I'll try to conserve on the better stuff and make a LOT more next year.

I'm in the process of ripping out most of the garden this week. :cry:

Math Jeans said:
If I have extra peppers on my plant and don't know what to do with them, is it a good idea to just make chili powder from them? The reason is because chili powder lasts and is (in my opinion) very usefull. Is habanero chili powder a good idea?
It might work out fine - just beware that dessicating and grinding habaneros is probably equivalent to weaponizing them and you'll have to handle the powder carefully. Certainly not something that you'd want to have floating around in the air without goggles over your eyes.

turbo-1 said:
It might work out fine - just beware that dessicating and grinding habaneros is probably equivalent to weaponizing them and you'll have to handle the powder carefully. Certainly not something that you'd want to have floating around in the air without goggles over your eyes.

Ok, thanks. Just one more question. What would you say is the easiest way to dry them?

You can smoke chiles, dry them, pickle them, or salt them.

To make red chile powder, you have to let the chiles get red on the plant (best choice), hang em up in a ristra for a while - then open the pod, remove seeds and stems, then grind the pods however you want. We use a blender - covered. The pods shouldn't be soft/fleshy when you grind.
My neighbors make 10-15 20 foot long ristras, and the chile is usually gone before the next crop comes in from the field. The ristras sure are pretty in the Fall sunshine.

Math Jeans said:
Ok, thanks. Just one more question. What would you say is the easiest way to dry them?
Slice them open and lay them out on a tray, preferably in the sun. If no sun, put them in the oven on a low heat and monitor them until dry.

My neighbors make 10-15 20 foot long ristras,
I've done that with cayenne.

For habaneros, I find it better to slice them open and dry them. For some reason, they seem more susceptible to a certain mold, so its best to dry them quickly or freeze them - or best - process them into a sauce or preserve.

Last edited:
Thanks. All that's left is to get a spice grinder this weekend.

Math Jeans said:
I don't know, MJ. I guess you could just hang them someplace warm and dry and see if that works. I've never dried chilies. I generally use them within minutes of picking them - a couple of hours at the most, so that they are at their most potent. Ask around - maybe someone you know has an electrical dessicator - used to dry fruits, etc.

I see I dawdled too long (phone call from a friend) and you got better answers than I could have given you in the meantime. Certainly, drying chilies very slowly might allow mold to get a foot-hold, like Astronuc suggests.

Astronuc, I have been trying to practice self-discipline with the red habanero relish, so perhaps there'll be some left when you come up next summer. I've been trying to eat jalapeno relish, or green habanero relish, or the clean-up relish (habs, jals, super-chilies) that I made up when I pulled my plants. They are all good, and like nothing you can buy commercially, but I LOVE the red hab relish with dill flowers. It seems mild, rich and sweet - until BAM!

We had quesadillas last night and I topped it with a sauce made up of one of our red-tomato salsas (overage in a non-processed jar) to which I had added overage from the other various batches of hot stuff as I canned them. Mmm!

I'm sorry. I just nuked a hot dog and roll, and had to dress it with a tsp of red habanero relish and a fat line of yellow mustard. I hope that there will be red hab relish left when you come back up.

Astronuc said:
For habaneros, I find it better to slice them open and dry them. For some reason, they seem more susceptible to a certain mold, so its best to dry them quickly or freeze them - or best - process them into a sauce or preserve.

Well, I live in Arizona, so there is no shortage of heat and dry. I'm sure I won't have much of a problem.

When you say slice them open, do you mean cut them in half or just putting slits into them?

Hmmm this Tubo-1's sauce sounds delicious, where can i get it? :tongue:

Cyclovenom said:
If you come to Maine, I will treat you to some.

Cyclovenom said:

Step one: grow some peppers and garlic

Step two: beg turbo for the formula (or of course look a few pages back. But that is too easy)

EDIT:
turbo-1 said:
If you come to Maine, I will treat you to some.

Or of course there is that.

Math Jeans said:
Step one: grow some peppers and garlic

Step two: beg turbo for the formula (or of course look a few pages back. But that is too easy)

EDIT:

Or of course there is that.
At this point, you don't know If I am telling the truth or even if Astronuc is telling the truth. I would encourage you to give some credence to both of us, since we both love really hot stuff. Come visit and I will share hot stuff.

turbo-1 said:
At this point, you don't know If I am telling the truth or even if Astronuc is telling the truth. I would encourage you to give some credence to both of us, since we both love really hot stuff. Come visit and I will share hot stuff.

Really? I thought the habanero relish was good.

EDIT: actually. great.

EDIT 2: Who am I kidding? That relish was GODLY.

Turbo's Sweet Habanero Afterbuner Hot Relish (it's really a relish as opposed to sauce) is the best I've ever had. There is nothing to compare it to. Others might be as hot, but Turbo's Sweet Habanero Afterburner Hot Relish starts off sweet, then the hot kicks in and builds, and then it lingers with an exquisite afterburn. There is nothing like it on the market. It's brilliant!

When you say slice them open, do you mean cut them in half or just putting slits into them?
Slice them open (even cut in half) and lay them open to dry. I learned this from the guy next door. He gave me some of his habaneros two years ago. I ate one and didn't feel anything until several seconds later - then the burn kicked in. Geez that was hot.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a bit far!, but this relish looks like a good product. Smells like a new business venture :approve:

Cyclovenom said:
Well, I'm a bit far!, but this relish looks like a good product. Smells like a new business venture :approve:
Practical aspects make the "business venture" dicey. It's not possible to make this stuff with commercially-available habaneros - at least the stuff that finds its way to Maine through commercial routes. Far too wimpy. It has to be made from chilies that have ripened on the plant, and I try to pick the chilies just before they are to be processed. Scaling up to a commercial venture would require many acres of chilies and garlic, intensive processing all through the harvest season, and LOTS of storage space so product could be available throughout the year.

Cyclovenom, you can make this yourself very easily. The quality of the relish is entirely dependent on the quality of the raw ingredients, so get the best stuff you can.

Start out with a quantity of habanero chilies and raw, peeled garlic (my relish is usually about 95% chilies) and chop them thoroughly. Transfer them to a sauce pan and put in enough cider vinegar to cover the solids, measuring as you add. For every cup of vinegar you needed to add, you should also add 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt, and 2 tbs of molasses (just scale the quantities up or down as needed). Bring to a boil, and cook until the colors of the chilies start to get a bit muted, then you can put the relish in a container and refrigerate it. I process and can mine, so I can make larger batches for storage, but if you make smaller batches (say 10-20 chilies at a time), refrigeration is the easiest way to go.

I like to add dill flowers to mine. Dill weed or seed would be OK (chop them when you chop the chilies and garlic) but the tiny yellow flowers have a richer taste.

Cyclovenom said:

It is worth it (although it took me two hours to make since we have only a mini food processor so I had to grind in turns). However, if you arn't used to the strong smell of ground habanero, you need to be ready to evacuate the kitchen :rofl:.

Turbo-1, then you don't mind if i become rich off of this relish? :rofl:

Cyclovenom said:
Turbo-1, then you don't mind if i become rich off of this relish? :rofl:
Not at all! Make some up, and if it as good as mine, you'll have a market. It would be nice if you sent me some of yours from time to time. Eventually, I'll get too old to want to spend all my time and energy in a garden, and it will be nice to get some "care packages" of relish on a regular basis. I don't need a financial interest in your venture, but it would be nice if you keep shipping me relish.