Why the 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} in the definition of the Fourier transform?

In summary, without the pi-factor, the inverse Fourier transform would require a 1/2pi factor to account for symmetry. This factor is included in the Fourier transform to make the inverse function symmetric.
AxiomOfChoice
I've never really thought about this before, but today it hit me: Why do we define the Fourier transform of a function to be

[tex]
\hat f(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) e^{ikx} dx
[/tex]

What do we lose if we just define it to be

[tex]
\hat f(k) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) e^{ikx} dx
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
I've never really thought about this before, but today it hit me: Why do we define the Fourier transform of a function to be

[tex]
\hat f(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) e^{ikx} dx
[/tex]

What do we lose if we just define it to be

[tex]
\hat f(k) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) e^{ikx} dx
[/tex]

The pi-factor is there to insure symmetry between the Fourier transform and its inverse.
Without it, the inverse would need a factor of 1/2pi to compensate.

Likes anhnha
Actually, some people do put the whole of the 1/2pi either in the FT, or in the IFT, and nothing in the other one.

If you are reading an "old" book or paper, you need to check which convention they are using.

The bottom line is, you have to "lose" the 1/2pi somewhere, to make IFT[FT(f(x)] = f(x).

Right. My quantum instructor actually defined

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\mathcal F(f) = \hat f(k) & = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) e^{-ikx}dx,\\
\mathcal{F}^{-1}(\hat f) = f(x) & = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \hat f(k) e^{ikx}dk.
\end{align*}
[/tex]

And it makes sense to me that we want to have

[tex]
\mathcal{F}^{-1}(\mathcal F(f)) = f.
[/tex]

But I don't see why the [itex]2\pi [/itex] is necessary to make that work. Can someone just show me the calculation? I can't seem to find it in any of my books...

Essentially, what you are doing is thinking of the functions [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] as a (Hamel) basis for the infinite dimensional vector space L2. Of course, it helps if your basis is "ortho-normal". It is easy to show that the functions are "othogonal":
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx}e^{-imx}dx= 0[/tex]
for [itex]k\ne m[/itex]

You need the
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/itex]
to "normalize" them.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Essentially, what you are doing is thinking of the functions [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] as a (Hamel) basis for the infinite dimensional vector space L2[/sup]. Of course, it helps if your basis is "ortho-normal". It is easy to show that the functions are "othogonal":
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx}e^{-imx}dx= 0[/tex]
for [itex]k\ne m[/itex]

You need the
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/itex]
to "normalize" them.

Are you sure it is a hamel basis for L^2 space?

I'm familiar with the terms "Hamel basis" and "L^2", but as to whether the set of functions of the form [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] form a basis, I'm not sure.

My question is this: It seems you're saying that the factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] is needed to normalize these functions. I just don't see this. Doesn't the normalization condition reduce to

[tex]
1 = (e^{ikx},e^{ikx}) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ikx} e^{ikx} dx = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx
[/tex]

And doesn't that integral fail to exist? I mean, doesn't it blow up? Obviously, I've done something wrong here...

Also...am I correct in assuming that, when one is talking about [itex]\left\{ e^{ikx} \right\}[/itex] being a Hamel basis for L^2, we're allowing k to vary over all real numbers? Or do we include complex k as well?

AxiomOfChoice said:
I'm familiar with the terms "Hamel basis" and "L^2", but as to whether the set of functions of the form [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] form a basis, I'm not sure.

My question is this: It seems you're saying that the factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] is needed to normalize these functions. I just don't see this. Doesn't the normalization condition reduce to

[tex]
1 = (e^{ikx},e^{ikx}) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ikx} e^{ikx} dx = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx
[/tex]

And doesn't that integral fail to exist? I mean, doesn't it blow up? Obviously, I've done something wrong here...

Actually the integral reduces to the dirac function.
On the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function#Fourier_transform
it is stated that:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty 1 \cdot e^{2\pi i x\xi}\,d\xi = \delta(x)[/tex]

The proof is left out here, but you can see the factor 2pi in the exponent.
Due to the substition rule, 2pi becomes part of the result.

[edit]Note that the integral does not really "blow up", because the function only takes an infinite value on an interval that is infinitesimal small.[/tex]

What is the significance of 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} in the definition of the Fourier transform?

The 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term is a normalization factor that ensures the Fourier transform produces the same magnitude for both the time-domain and frequency-domain signals. Without this factor, the amplitude of the frequency-domain signal would depend on the length of the time-domain signal.

Why is the inverse Fourier transform defined with 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} instead of just 1/Pi?

Similar to the forward Fourier transform, the 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term in the inverse Fourier transform serves as a normalization factor to ensure that the time-domain signal has the same amplitude regardless of the length of the frequency-domain signal. Additionally, using 1/Pi instead of 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} would result in a different scaling factor when converting between time and frequency domains.

How does the 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term affect the frequency spectrum of a signal in the Fourier transform?

The 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term does not affect the shape of the frequency spectrum, but it does change the amplitude of the frequency components. This factor ensures that the amplitude of the frequency spectrum is not dependent on the length of the time-domain signal.

Can the 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term be omitted from the Fourier transform without affecting the results?

No, the 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term is essential in the definition of the Fourier transform to ensure the magnitude of the frequency-domain signal is consistent with that of the time-domain signal. Omitting this term would result in incorrect amplitude values for the frequency components.

Is the 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term used in all versions of the Fourier transform?

Yes, the 1/Sqrt{2 Pi} term is used in all versions of the Fourier transform, including the discrete Fourier transform and the fast Fourier transform. This normalization factor is necessary for the consistency of the Fourier transform across different domains and applications.