Integral total and partial of a function?

In summary: So the idea of "taking the total integral" of a function might not make sense because you're not taking the derivative of the function.
Jhenrique
Like we have the total differential of a function:
imagem.png

I was thinking, why not take the "total integral" of a function too? Thus I did some algebraic juggling and, how I haven't aptitude for be a Ph.D. in math, I bring my ideia for the experients from here evaluate... Anyway, the ideia is the follows:

Let y = f(x), so: [tex]\int y dx = \int f dx[/tex] [tex]\int y \frac{dx}{dx} = \int f \frac{1}{dx}dx[/tex] [tex]\int y = \int f \frac{1}{dx}dx \;\;\;\Rightarrow \;\;\; \int y du = \int f \frac{du}{dx}dx[/tex] Generalizing...

Let w = f(x,y,z), so: [tex]\int w = \int f \frac{1}{dx}dx + \int f \frac{1}{dy}dy + \int f \frac{1}{dz}dz[/tex]

I don't venture take the 2nd integral of y because I think that will arise one d²x in the denominator...

What you think about? All this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
Like we have the total differential of a function:
imagem.png
Presumably dx2 means dx * dx, but what does d2x mean?
Jhenrique said:
I was thinking, why not take the "total integral" of a function too? Thus I did some algebraic juggling and, how I haven't aptitude for be a Ph.D. in math, I bring my ideia for the experients from here evaluate... Anyway, the ideia is the follows:

Let y = f(x), so: [tex]\int y dx = \int f dx[/tex] [tex]\int y \frac{dx}{dx} = \int f \frac{1}{dx}dx[/tex] [tex]\int y = \int f \frac{1}{dx}dx \;\;\;\Rightarrow \;\;\; \int y du = \int f \frac{du}{dx}dx[/tex] Generalizing...
The steps in the middle make no sense to me. Dividing by dx is not a valid step. You started with f as a function of x. Is it somehow transformed to become a function of u later on?
Jhenrique said:
Let w = f(x,y,z), so: [tex]\int w = \int f \frac{1}{dx}dx + \int f \frac{1}{dy}dy + \int f \frac{1}{dz}dz[/tex]

I don't venture take the 2nd integral of y because I think that will arise one d²x in the denominator...

What you think about? All this make sense?

Mark44 said:
Presumably dx2 means dx * dx, but what does d2x mean?The steps in the middle make no sense to me.

Yeah, dx²=dxdx

d²x is the 2nd differential of x wrt nothing. Wrt to something it's become: [tex]\frac{d^2y}{du^2}=\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}\left ( \frac{dx}{du} \right )^2+\frac{df}{dx}\frac{d^2x}{du^2}[/tex]

Dividing by dx is not a valid step.
humm...

You started with f as a function of x. Is it somehow transformed to become a function of u later on?
The first three equations was a attempt for show what would an integral of f (like an differential of f) and the implication shows the utility of the integral of f as an chain rule.

If you get the last equation, ∫w, and multiply the equation by an arbitrary differential du, you'll have an chain rule of integrals in tree-dimensions:
[tex]\int w du= \int f \frac{du}{dx}dx + \int f \frac{du}{dy}dy + \int f \frac{du}{dz}dz[/tex]

So d2x would be d(dx). AFAIK, this doesn't mean anything. At least it's not anything I've ever seen. Also, as I mentioned earlier, you can't divide by dx, and you can't divide by d2x. The "fractions" dy/dx and d2y/dx2 are more notation than fractions that you can manipulate.

Instead of merely manipulating symbols, as you seem to like to do, make up a function w = f(x, y, z), and see if your formula for ##\int wdu## has any relation to reality.

hummm... so, tell me you, why no exist total and partial integral like in differentiation, that has partial and total differential. Why my analogy no make sense?

Jhenrique said:
hummm... so, tell me you, why no exist total and partial integral like in differentiation, that has partial and total differential. Why my analogy no make sense?
Just off the top of my head, possibly it's because differentiation and integration aren't exactly inverse operations.

1. What is the difference between total and partial integrals?

Total integrals involve finding the area under the entire curve of a function, while partial integrals involve finding the area under a specific portion of the curve.

2. How do you calculate an integral?

To calculate an integral, you must first determine the function and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various methods such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, or integration by parts to solve the integral.

3. Why is integration important in mathematics?

Integration is important because it allows us to find areas, volumes, and other quantities that are otherwise difficult to determine. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can you integrate any function?

No, not all functions can be integrated. Some functions, such as those with discontinuities or infinite limits, are not integrable. Additionally, some functions may require advanced techniques or cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have many real-world applications, such as determining the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object in physics, calculating the area under a curve in economics, and finding the volume of a solid in engineering.