Analytic Approximation for an Oscillatory Integral

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation that involves a Fourier transform and is looking for an approximation that is r-dependent. They are considering integrating by parts twice to get a better approximation for the 1/√(...) piece and then solving for r.
csmallw
I'm looking for a way to write down an analytic approximation for the following integral:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{k \sin(kr)}{\sqrt{1+v^2(k-k_F)^2}}dk[/tex]

Let's assume that v kF >> 1, so that the the oscillating piece at large k doesn't contribute much uncertainty. Ideas? Thus far, Mathematica has failed me, though I have been able to generate some numerical solutions. Is there some way to take advantage of the fact that the integrand is peaked at kF?

Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
In[1]:= $Assumptions = v > 0 && kf > 0 && r > 0;
 Integrate[k /Sqrt[1 + v^2 (k - kf)^2], {k, 0, 2 kf}]

Out[1]= (2 kf ArcSinh[kf v])/v

Your integral will be strictly less than that, but at least it gives a closed form upper bound and it doesn't depend on substituting in some arbitrary values for constants. The only lower bound I can see from this would be negating the upper bound. That also doesn't integrate out to infinity, but from a few numerical examples it looks like by the time you are out to 2kf or some other appropriate multiple of kf or v kf that, as you have mentioned, you are far from the peak and the additional contribution may be modest.

You can substitute a variety of reasonable constants and plot your expression and the expression without the Sin and see how these behave.

The integral I am trying to solve is a version of a Fourier transform, so it would be better if the approximation were r-dependent.

I was thinking that integrating by parts twice would sharpen the 1/√(...) piece and make it look like a delta-function. Then the integration would be easy if I constrained "r" to be sufficiently small (and if the boundary terms don't diverge). Still, I think I'm stuck in terms of providing an approximation at large "r," which is where I might be most interested in the integral's value...

1. What is an oscillatory integral?

An oscillatory integral is a type of mathematical integral that involves a rapidly oscillating function in the integrand. These types of integrals often arise in physics and engineering problems, and can be challenging to evaluate exactly.

2. What is the purpose of using analytic approximation for an oscillatory integral?

The purpose of using analytic approximation for an oscillatory integral is to obtain an approximate value for the integral that is accurate enough for practical applications. Analytic approximations involve using known mathematical techniques to simplify the integrand and make the integral easier to evaluate.

3. How does analytic approximation work for an oscillatory integral?

Analytic approximation for an oscillatory integral involves using techniques such as Taylor series expansions, Fourier transforms, and contour integration to simplify the integrand and express it in terms of known functions. This allows for the integral to be evaluated using standard mathematical methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using analytic approximation for an oscillatory integral?

Yes, there are limitations to using analytic approximation for an oscillatory integral. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the complexity of the integrand and the chosen approximation method. In some cases, the approximation may not be accurate enough for certain applications.

5. How do I know if analytic approximation is the best method for evaluating an oscillatory integral?

There is no definitive answer to this question. It depends on the specific integral and the desired level of accuracy. In some cases, analytic approximation may be the best option, while in others, numerical methods may be more suitable. It is important to consider the complexity of the integrand and the desired accuracy when choosing an evaluation method.