Changing limits of integration in subsitution

In summary, the speaker is asking for clarification on choosing the correct interval when performing a substitution in an integral, and the expert explains that the choice of interval depends on the situation and how the substitution is applied.
BomboshMan
Hi,

I'm doing this integration:

I = ∫[itex]^{1}_{-1}[/itex]1/([itex]\pi[/itex]√1-x2)dx

I made the substitution x = cosθ, and I'm fine with performing the integral apart from changing the limits - for x = 1 I put θ = 0, but for x = -1, how do I know whether to choose θ = [itex]\pi[/itex] or θ = -[itex]\pi[/itex]? The first choice gives I = 1 but the second gives I = -1. I know arccos is defined so that 0 ≤ θ ≤ [itex]\pi[/itex], but surely choosing θ = -[itex]\pi[/itex] should work and give the same value for the integral anyway, since this is just to avoid arccos being multi valued?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The endpoints ##\theta = \pi## and ##\theta = -\pi## may correspond go the same point on the unit circle, but you are integrating over an entire interval, not just at that point. The intervals ##[0,\pi]## and ##[0,-\pi]## do not correspond to the same points on the circle. The first interval covers the upper half of the circle, traveling counterclockwise, and the second interval covers the lower half of the circle, traveling clockwise. You need to work out which of these intervals corresponds to your situation.

In particular, if ##x = \cos(\theta)##, then ##\sqrt{1 - x^2} = \sqrt{\sin^2(\theta)} = |\sin(\theta)|##. If you want to write this without absolute values, then that forces a particular choice for your integration interval.

Last edited:

1. How do you change the limits of integration in substitution?

To change the limits of integration in substitution, you need to use the chain rule. This involves substituting the new limits in terms of the original variable and then differentiating the new limits to find the new limits of integration.

2. Why is changing the limits of integration necessary in substitution?

Changing the limits of integration is necessary in substitution because it allows us to integrate with respect to a new variable. This can make the integration process easier and more efficient, especially when dealing with complex functions.

3. Can the limits of integration be changed to any values in substitution?

No, the limits of integration in substitution must be chosen carefully in order to ensure that the substitution is valid. The new limits must correspond to the new variable and must also cover the same range of values as the original limits.

4. Is there a specific method for changing the limits of integration in substitution?

Yes, the method for changing the limits of integration in substitution involves using the chain rule and carefully selecting the new limits to ensure the substitution is valid. It is important to follow the steps correctly to avoid any errors in the integration process.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the limits of integration in substitution?

Yes, there are some limitations to changing the limits of integration in substitution. For example, the substitution must be valid and the new limits must correspond to the new variable. Additionally, certain types of functions may require more complex substitutions or may not be able to be integrated using substitution at all.