Tips for SAT Exam: Advice for International Students

In summary, the conversation is about someone preparing for their SAT exams and looking for tips. They mention being an international student and having difficulty with the English section, and someone suggests using a practice book and a website that donates rice for every correct answer. Another person shares their method of visualizing and interpreting words for better understanding, and someone else offers advice on building vocabulary and practicing for the reading sections.
Kushal
hi, i have my SAT exams this saturday. i was wondering whether anyone would be having some tips concerning the test. I'm an international student (from mauritius). my mathematics is ok, but the english section might be hard, specially for words i never met before!

Physics news on Phys.org
work through a practice book.

This site might help. The difficulty level increases as you answer more questions correctly. Plus, every time you give a correct answer they make a donation of rice to charity - paid for by the advertisers.

http://www.freerice.com/index.php

i have worked the practice book. i was looking more for tips! lol

thanks for the freerice link... it should help!

I always try to visualize or interpret meaning from their sound (works most of times).
e.g. plausible = possible = something not bad = valid

rootX said:
I always try to visualize or interpret meaning from their sound (works most of times).
e.g. plausible = possible = something not bad = valid

that's a terrible method. modern languages don't work like that. better to take a word apart to figure out it's meaning.

what is your first language? french? creole? urdu?

I took the SAT a while back, and my only advice would be:

1. Build up your vocabulary. I didn't do so great on my Reading Comprehension/Critical Reading because I didn't know many words. Also, make sure you know English grammar very well.

2. Practice going through the questions quickly. In both the Reading Comprehension/Critical Reading parts I was barely finishing, and sometimes I didn't have time to finish all of the questions. However, if you know your stuff well, it won't be too bad. (I finished all my math sections with at least 5-10 minutes still left.)

What is the SAT exam and why is it important for international students?

The SAT exam is a standardized test used by colleges and universities in the United States to assess a student's readiness for college-level work. It is important for international students because it is often required for admission to US colleges and universities, and a high score can improve their chances of being accepted.

What are some tips for international students taking the SAT exam?

Some tips for international students taking the SAT exam include: familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the exam, practicing with sample questions and full-length practice tests, improving your English language skills, and utilizing resources such as study guides and tutors.

Is the SAT exam different for international students compared to US students?

No, the SAT exam is the same for all students regardless of their nationality. However, international students may face additional challenges such as language barriers and cultural differences, which may affect their performance on the exam.

How can international students prepare for the SAT exam while living in a different country?

International students can prepare for the SAT exam while living in a different country by utilizing online resources and virtual tutoring, studying with a group of peers, and taking advantage of any SAT preparation courses offered in their country. It is also important to create a study schedule and stick to it, and to stay motivated and focused on your goals.

Are there any specific strategies that international students should use during the SAT exam?

Some specific strategies that international students can use during the SAT exam include: reading and understanding all instructions carefully, pacing yourself to ensure you have enough time to complete all sections, and utilizing your knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary to eliminate incorrect answer choices.