Have You Ever Talked to an Attractive Woman?

In summary, if you're having girl problems, what's stopping you? Is it anything more than nerves/low self-esteem? If you're confident and relaxed, you're just a normal guy, talking to a normal girl.

I tried this once, with something like; "pardon me but do you prefer presenting representable functors before tensor products in abstract algebra?" it seemed to get her attention, at least she responded right away, something like: "you're on my foot, doofus."

Physics news on Phys.org

mathwonk said:
I tried this once, with something like; "pardon me but do you prefer presenting representable functors before tensor products in abstract algebra?" it seemed to get her attention, at least she responded right away, something like: "you're on my foot, doofus."

Those silly women, getting their feet in the way all the time.

True story, was at the airport the other day. Two things crossed my mind, the girl sitting over there is pretty cute, and I need to know what time it is so I don't miss my flight. Asked for time, then conversation struck up, I only referred to myself once in the third person (we never properly introduced ourselves) and my school. I get home and have a friend request on facebook. I all of a sudden realize it was the girl from the airport. Then we talked on facebook chat, she is a huge Foo Fighters fan, me too. She also happens to be slightly addicted to the Legend of Zelda video game series. I must confess as am I.

That is where the story is now. Perhaps I will continue it later?

Dougggggg said:
True story, was at the airport the other day. Two things crossed my mind, the girl sitting over there is pretty cute, and I need to know what time it is so I don't miss my flight. Asked for time, then conversation struck up, I only referred to myself once in the third person (we never properly introduced ourselves) and my school. I get home and have a friend request on facebook. I all of a sudden realize it was the girl from the airport. Then we talked on facebook chat, she is a huge Foo Fighters fan, me too. She also happens to be slightly addicted to the Legend of Zelda video game series. I must confess as am I.

That is where the story is now. Perhaps I will continue it later?

Sounds like a good idea. Although I guess you were going to separate locations?

Lancelot59 said:
Sounds like a good idea. Although I guess you were going to separate locations?

Yes and no, we were both flying from Glasgow to Newark airport. Then we would both be transfering to flights to Nashville and Philly.

The problem with many exceedingly attractive women is that they are in love with themselves and feel that the approach of a man they find non-attractive is an insult to their self importance. So they react with the "How-dare-you-even-imagine-yourself-worthy!" response! That's why I prefer approaching cute women or pleasantly-appearing women instead since it reduces the chances of that happening.

QuantumJG said:
Have I ever seen an attractive woman, walked up to her and started a conversation?

No way! I suffer from anxiety so doing this without feeling anxious would be IMPOSSIBLE.

Also I feel it would be stupid to come out with something pointless to talk about "those are nice shoes". WTF? I'm a physics student with no fashion sense who plays video games.

I just want to hug you for that... :approve:

CheshireKat said:
I just want to hug you for that... :approve:

He is a charming fellow :smile:

QuantumJG said:
Also I feel it would be stupid to come out with something pointless to talk about "those are nice shoes". WTF? I'm a physics student with no fashion sense who plays video games.
I'm the same, but I only don't have a fashion sense for myself. I know what I like on women when I see them - not that I could choose out their clothes for them.
And my god, please don't talk about her shoes! They're only conversation starters.

My need to know the time was satisfied while also starting a conversation. 2 birds with 1 stone.

The only women I've talked to, I've had a reason to do so. I'm not one to make small talk.

well.

news from "the other side".

was at a party yesterday, with some daning and music. suddenly the DJ - a tall, nice looking, blonde young man - announces: "I want you guys to hug a little" and puts on a really slow dance... pretty much everybody left the dancefloor except for one couple.

so I mastered all my female flirtability, walked up to him and told him it was his freakin' fault that nobody is there, but I still want to dance... so he has to jump in.

conclusion:
I got one nice dance with a pretty hot guy.
For the rest of the night, I got some more smiles.
But this tactic totally sucked as a conversation starter...

Do you think this is the same phenomenon as a men approaching an attractive woman and jumpstarting a conversation?

CheshireKat said:
well.

news from "the other side".

was at a party yesterday, with some daning and music. suddenly the DJ - a tall, nice looking, blonde young man - announces: "I want you guys to hug a little" and puts on a really slow dance... pretty much everybody left the dancefloor except for one couple.

so I mastered all my female flirtability, walked up to him and told him it was his freakin' fault that nobody is there, but I still want to dance... so he has to jump in.

conclusion:
I got one nice dance with a pretty hot guy.
For the rest of the night, I got some more smiles.
But this tactic totally sucked as a conversation starter...

Do you think this is the same phenomenon as a men approaching an attractive woman and jumpstarting a conversation?

It would make sense. It's not that men are exclusively afraid of women. People are afraid of people.

Lancelot59 said:
It would make sense. It's not that men are exclusively afraid of women. People are afraid of people.

as an anthropolgist to be, that scares me.

CheshireKat said:
as an anthropolgist to be, that scares me.

It's my experience that people are silly. BE AFRAID!

I'll talk to anyone who wants to talk - especially over a beer or caffè.

I will talk to almost anyone, but it has to be about math.

I will talk to almost anyone, but it has to help me with my current work.

mathwonk said:

Same here.

I can talk about things other than science and engineering, it just usually doesn't go well. Apparently I'm too blunt. So I avoid talking about those things for that reason, also because I don't find them that interesting.

Is it just me or have you guys noticed that when you meet someone new on campus and they ask what you are majoring and you respond with Math and Physics (well for me at least), their faces turn into the most confused or horrified look. Typical verbal response is "wow you must be a genius," "I couldn't ever imagine doing that," or "why?"

Dougggggg said:
Is it just me or have you guys noticed that when you meet someone new on campus and they ask what you are majoring and you respond with Math and Physics (well for me at least), their faces turn into the most confused or horrified look. Typical verbal response is "wow you must be a genius," "I couldn't ever imagine doing that," or "why?"

Try having that experience and being female :tongue2:! I know exactly what you mean.

Dougggggg said:
I got that. Now when I mention nuclear engineering, I get asked about nuclear weapons, severe accidents, and host of other topics which seem to represent the anxieties of an uninformed and severely undereducated public.

Dougggggg said:

I get that all the time when I say engineering. More so when I mention how many courses I take.

mathwonk said:

Here's the girl for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLi_y4Vv5s

Something like that just happened about an hour or two ago. We were playing poker and this girl asked my major and then responded, "of course!" I was kinda cleaning up the table just playing odds.

rootX said:
Here's the girl for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLi_y4Vv5s

Ehhhh, no. I wouldn't wanna...don't know where she's been. For that matter I don't know where those puppets have been.

Dougggggg said:

its the look on their faces jajajaja priceless. A girl once told me I should go to a psychiatrist because my love for math was abnormal jajaja.

Yes.

Its not that complicated. They're attractive and yet, human in many ways that are entirely separate from their ability to ignite a physical reaction in you. So I just talk to them as human.

You tend to pick up cues pretty fast whether they're open to flirting, and I've always enjoyed that even if I never intended to pursue anything more. People like being reminded that they're attractive too.

I have, for the sake of experimentation, also tried blatantly hitting on girls and I think that if you do in the right place with enough of a sense of humor so that it does come off as silly rather than serious, it does work out well too.

The key is not coming off as a creep is not thinking /as/ a creep, and not acting as one. The pretty girl is just a pretty girl, not your only sole chance at love and adoration and acceptance; she's just someone who's probably nice and happens to be pleasant to look at too.

EinsteinsDog said:
jajajaja

You need to move your finger one more spot over to the left.

the key is to lie. one of my old girl friends perfected this, she told strangers that i was a professional boxer and that she was a professional pool player. At least guys did not hit on her as much when I was around, but they did wonder why i was such a wimp.

I don't, not so much that I'm afraid but just because it takes more than looks to get my attention.

If a girl is pretty and also has some quality that interests me, I have no problem approaching her. If she's just pretty, I'd probably not want to speak to her even if she approached me, and I have "rejected" good looking girls before because they are uninteresting to talk to.

I just think its sad for guys to have such low standards all the time.

pergradus said:
I don't, not so much that I'm afraid but just because it takes more than looks to get my attention.

If a girl is pretty and also has some quality that interests me, I have no problem approaching her. If she's just pretty, I'd probably not want to speak to her even if she approached me, and I have "rejected" good looking girls before because they are uninteresting to talk to.

I just think its sad for guys to have such low standards all the time.

This was great to read :) Thx for sharing your thoughts!

Yes, it is tragically sad for me to have such vastly low standards. I think I might have to make up for my plunging esteem with a threesome.

In all seriousness, though, I think there's value in all people and not talking to anyone because you feel like you have vastly inflated belief in how interesting or intelligent you are is robbing yourself of a lot of potential knowledge. And sexual partners, for that matter, but I'm a troglodyte after all.

Lichdar said:
Yes, it is tragically sad for me to have such vastly low standards. I think I might have to make up for my plunging esteem with a threesome.

In all seriousness, though, I think there's value in all people and not talking to anyone because you feel like you have vastly inflated belief in how interesting or intelligent you are is robbing yourself of a lot of potential knowledge. And sexual partners, for that matter, but I'm a troglodyte after all.

Easy there skipper, don't get your towline in a tangle.

There's the key difference - I do not see value in all or most people. It doesn't have to do with my traits, but I do have taste and opinions and that extends to other people.

Generally most guys evaluate a girl on the sole factor of whether she's hot or not. I guess I just grew out of that high school mentality and a persons character is of huge importance to me, although there also has to be physical attraction. I need someone who can challenge me, whether that's intellectually or physically or on any other number of levels. I don't see why you're offended by my comment - lots of empty headed girls out there who I'm not interested in - more for you!

I'm no offended, just sarcastic ;) And good for you!

<h2>1. What is the purpose of this study?</h2><p>The purpose of this study is to understand the experiences and perspectives of individuals who have talked to an attractive woman. This could provide insights into social interactions, attraction, and communication dynamics.</p><h2>2. How do you define an "attractive woman" in this study?</h2><p>In this study, an "attractive woman" is defined as someone who is perceived as physically attractive by the individual being studied. This could vary based on personal preferences and societal standards of beauty.</p><h2>3. What is the methodology used in this study?</h2><p>This study will use both qualitative and quantitative methods. Participants will be asked to complete surveys and potentially participate in interviews to gather their experiences and perspectives. Data will be analyzed using statistical analysis and thematic coding.</p><h2>4. Who can participate in this study?</h2><p>Any individual who has talked to an attractive woman in any context is eligible to participate in this study. There are no specific age, gender, or other demographic requirements for participation.</p><h2>5. How will the confidentiality of participants be protected?</h2><p>All data collected in this study will be kept confidential and anonymous. Participants will be assigned a unique identifier to protect their identity. Data will only be used for the purposes of this study and will not be shared with any third parties.</p>

1. What is the purpose of this study?

The purpose of this study is to understand the experiences and perspectives of individuals who have talked to an attractive woman. This could provide insights into social interactions, attraction, and communication dynamics.

2. How do you define an "attractive woman" in this study?

In this study, an "attractive woman" is defined as someone who is perceived as physically attractive by the individual being studied. This could vary based on personal preferences and societal standards of beauty.

3. What is the methodology used in this study?

This study will use both qualitative and quantitative methods. Participants will be asked to complete surveys and potentially participate in interviews to gather their experiences and perspectives. Data will be analyzed using statistical analysis and thematic coding.

4. Who can participate in this study?

Any individual who has talked to an attractive woman in any context is eligible to participate in this study. There are no specific age, gender, or other demographic requirements for participation.

5. How will the confidentiality of participants be protected?

All data collected in this study will be kept confidential and anonymous. Participants will be assigned a unique identifier to protect their identity. Data will only be used for the purposes of this study and will not be shared with any third parties.