Is it OK to post link to pdf of a homework problem instead of typing it all out

• Thread starter fufufu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is acceptable to post a link to a PDF of a homework problem instead of typing it out. Some participants believe it is okay as long as the attempt at a solution is shown, while others prefer the problems to be typed in the forum for easier editing and security reasons. It is also pointed out that without the problem statement, the thread loses its value if the link to the PDF is broken.
fufufu
Is it OK to post link to pdf of a homework problem (google docs) instead of typing it all out? I am just asking because I am really slow typing math stuff and its faster/easier to post link to the prob.. will my homework questions just get ignored if i do this or is this acceptable ? thanks

(for example, a variation of parameters takes up a lot of space and it takes me long time to get all my work typed out.. if i just have link to doc, its not just easier but notation is clearer too)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's okay. Just be sure to show your attempt at the solution. That's the most important part -- showing your efforts.

Just to clarify -- it's still important to follow the HH Template format. You could link to a PDF for each section, or just for the problem statement, etc.

I, for one, would prefer the problems be typed in the forum. It is much easier to edit the part you are responding, to delete irrelevant or correct steps, and to insert commentary at the appropriate points.

LCKurtz said:
I, for one, would prefer the problems be typed in the forum. It is much easier to edit the part you are responding, to delete irrelevant or correct steps, and to insert commentary at the appropriate points.
I agree.

There are also security issues with PDF files.

Can't you just copy/paste the text from the pdf to your post instead of typing it out?

In my opinion,
without the statement of the problem,
the thread loses its value (as an archived thread)
when the link to the pdf is broken.

robphy said:
In my opinion,
without the statement of the problem,
the thread loses its value (as an archived thread)
when the link to the pdf is broken.
That's another excellent reason not to allow it.

What are the potential consequences of posting a link to a pdf of a homework problem instead of typing it out?

Posting a link to a pdf of a homework problem can result in accusations of academic dishonesty, as it may appear that you are sharing answers with others or using outside resources to complete your assignment. It also does not allow for your own understanding and work to be shown.

Is it considered plagiarism to post a link to a pdf of a homework problem?

It can be considered plagiarism if the source of the pdf is not properly cited or if the problem is directly copied and used as your own work. It is always best to type out the problem in your own words and provide proper citations for any outside sources used.

Why is it important to type out the homework problem instead of posting a link to a pdf?

Typing out the homework problem allows for a better understanding of the question and can help you to identify any misunderstandings or mistakes. It also shows your own effort and work, rather than relying on outside resources.

Can posting a link to a pdf of a homework problem be considered cheating?

In some cases, it can be considered cheating if the pdf is from a source that provides direct answers or solutions to the problem. It is important to only use outside resources for understanding and to always properly cite them.

Are there any situations where it is acceptable to post a link to a pdf of a homework problem?

In some cases, if the pdf is from a reputable source and is used solely for understanding and reference, it may be acceptable to post a link. However, it is always best to consult with your instructor first to ensure it does not violate any academic integrity policies.