Understanding Boyle's Law: Exploring the Behavior of Gases in a Vacuum

• Thread starter DNMock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving a balloon made out of a rubber that can stretch infinitely thin without breaking. The question is whether the balloon's radius will expand at a constant rate when placed in an infinitely large, perfect vacuum. The conclusion is that the expansion will not be constant due to the tension of the balloon material, and the radius increase would follow statistical laws for random motion.
DNMock
Trying to wrap my head around this thought experiment and I was hoping to get some expert advice on this:

Take a balloon made out of a rubber that can stretch infinitely thin without breaking blown up to normal balloon size. Next put it in an infinitely large, perfect vacuum and let it go.

If my head is wrapped around this correctly, the balloons radius should expand at a constant rate indefinitely should it not?

Physics news on Phys.org
DNMock said:
Trying to wrap my head around this thought experiment and I was hoping to get some expert advice on this:

Take a balloon made out of a rubber that can stretch infinitely thin without breaking blown up to normal balloon size. Next put it in an infinitely large, perfect vacuum and let it go.

If my head is wrapped around this correctly, the balloons radius should expand at a constant rate indefinitely should it not?
Not unless the balloon material has some magical property that prevents it from providing tension. At some point the pressure inside the balloon will be equal to the inward pressure created by the tension in the rubber and the expansion will stop. This is not a free expansion.

If a gas is allowed to expand freely in a vacuum, the motion of the gas molecules would be random. I don't think the radius of the gas cloud would expand at a constant rate. The radius increase would follow statistical laws for random motion.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Not unless the balloon material has some magical property that prevents it from providing tension. At some point the pressure inside the balloon will be equal to the inward pressure created by the tension in the rubber and the expansion will stop. This is not a free expansion.

If a gas is allowed to expand freely in a vacuum, the motion of the gas molecules would be random. I don't think the radius of the gas cloud would expand at a constant rate. The radius increase would follow statistical laws for random motion.

AM

Ah, ok that makes proper sense to me. I felt like it should slow down over time but couldn't figure out why, but it's the tension of the balloon itself. That makes sense now, thank you for helping my head pass it's brain fart :)

What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a gas law that describes the relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas at a constant temperature. It states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume, meaning that as the volume of a gas decreases, its pressure increases and vice versa.

Who discovered Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law was discovered by Irish scientist Robert Boyle in 1662.

What is the formula for Boyle's Law?

The formula for Boyle's Law is P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 represent the initial pressure and volume of a gas, and P2 and V2 represent the final pressure and volume of the gas.

What are the units of measurement for Boyle's Law?

The units of measurement for Boyle's Law are pressure (P) in Pascals (Pa) and volume (V) in cubic meters (m³).

How is Boyle's Law applied in real life?

Boyle's Law is applied in various real-life situations, such as in scuba diving, where changes in pressure affect the volume of gas in a diver's air tank. It is also used in the production of carbonated drinks, where the pressure inside a bottle or can is increased to dissolve more carbon dioxide and create the desired level of carbonation.