Why is chlorine the central atom in a chlorate ion

• Thread starter Coco12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Ion
In summary, the teacher told me that the central atom in a Lewis structure is the element with the fewest valence electrons, and that this is usually oxygen. However, there are exceptions to this rule.
Coco12
I know that when you draw the lewis structure for chlorate, the chlorine goes in the center with the oxygen bonded to it. What I don't understand is that the teacher told me that the central atom is the element with the fewest valence electrons. So wouldn't that make oxygen the central atom?
This is what I think:
Is it because the Group 7 elements are the most electronegative so when given a compound where there is 1 of the Group 7 element and 2 or more of elements in the other groups, then the Group 7 element will always be central?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Try posting your question in the HW/Cousework section. You may get better results there.

In most cases, the central atom will have a lower electronegativity than the ligands.
This is true with metal ions, which have less valence electrons than typical ligands like oxygen etc, but it is also true for chlorine as electronegativity decreases down one column in the periodic system. Nevertheless there are exceptions also to this rule, e.g. in organophosphorus componds where some alkyl function acts as a ligand.

DrDu said:
In most cases, the central atom will have a lower electronegativity than the ligands.
This is true with metal ions, which have less valence electrons than typical ligands like oxygen etc, but it is also true for chlorine as electronegativity decreases down one column in the periodic system. Nevertheless there are exceptions also to this rule, e.g. in organophosphorus componds where some alkyl function acts as a ligand.

So the reason why chlorine is the central atom is because it has a lower electronegativity than oxygen?

Coco12 said:
So the reason why chlorine is the central atom is because it has a lower electronegativity than oxygen?

I wouldn't say that's the reason as such, more that it's been shown that all the oxygens are equivalent, and for that to be the case, the chlorine has to be in the middle. Whether this is at the right level of answer may depend on the level of the question.

1. Why is chlorine the central atom in a chlorate ion?

Chlorine is the central atom in a chlorate ion because it has a higher electronegativity and is capable of forming more bonds compared to oxygen. This allows it to hold the negative charge and stabilize the ion.

2. Can oxygen be the central atom in a chlorate ion?

No, oxygen cannot be the central atom in a chlorate ion because it has a lower electronegativity compared to chlorine. This means that it cannot hold the negative charge and stabilize the ion effectively.

3. What is the significance of chlorine being the central atom in a chlorate ion?

The central atom in a molecule or ion plays a crucial role in determining its structure, reactivity, and properties. In the case of a chlorate ion, chlorine being the central atom allows for a stable and symmetrical structure, making it more reactive and useful in various chemical reactions.

4. Is the central atom always the most electronegative element in a molecule or ion?

No, the central atom is not always the most electronegative element. It depends on the overall structure and bonding in the molecule or ion. In some cases, a lower electronegative element may act as the central atom if it is capable of forming more bonds and stabilizing the structure.

5. How does the central atom affect the shape of a chlorate ion?

The central atom, chlorine, in a chlorate ion has a high number of valence electrons and is capable of forming multiple bonds. This results in a tetrahedral shape for the ion, with the chlorine atom at the center and the oxygen atoms evenly spaced around it. The central atom is crucial in determining the molecular geometry of a compound or ion.