Register to reply

What is the difference between a dipole and polarity?

by marc32123
Tags: difference, dipole, polarity
Share this thread:
marc32123
Mar27-14, 10:35 PM
P: 18
From what I have been learning recently, a dipole is a seperation of electric charges and in chemistry, a dipole refers to the seperation of charges within a molecule between two covalently bonded atoms (which is caused from one atom having a higher electronegativity) What I don't understand is how this is different from polarization in chemistry?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
DrDu
Mar28-14, 02:17 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,564
A dipole is defined more strictly via a multipole expansion of the charge contribution, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipole_expansion
Polarisation referseither to a change of the dipole moment due to an external field or to the sources of the electric field inside the medium. In simple situations, the latter can be interpreted as the macroscopic dipole moment density.
marc32123
Mar28-14, 03:08 AM
P: 18
Thanks for the info, although it is kind of out of the realm of what I understand about chem so far. I checked out that article on wiki already and had no idea what it was saying. I am terrible with math. Is there any way you could somewhat explain it in a somewhat understandable way what you mean by

A dipole is defined more strictly via a multipole expansion of the charge contribution

It would be greatly appreciated!

Register to reply