Hole current and Recombination...

by ViolentCorpse
Tags: current, hole, recombination
Share this thread:
ViolentCorpse
May6-14, 09:25 AM
P: 142
Hello PFers! I hope everyone is doing well. Here's my question:

The way I understand it (imperfectly, of course), forward-biasing a p-n junction diode, the electrons crossover from the n-type material and fall into the holes in the p-type material and then they are conducted through the holes in the valence band. This current in the p-type, I presume, is hole current. But if the holes are being filled by electrons from the other side, wouldn't this recombination process deplete charge carriers, impeding some current flow? Also if a hole is filled, so that an atom is "complete", could a neighboring hole still migrate into the "filled" atom? I mean there would be no vacancy left for migration to occur, so how does it all work?

I am also interested in knowing how an isolated p-type material would behave when applied a potential difference. Is it any different from how the p-type side behaves in a p-n junction diode (for example, does recombination take place?).

Thank you very much for your time!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
Greg Bernhardt
May6-14, 11:48 PM
Admin
P: 9,329
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
ViolentCorpse
May7-14, 08:18 AM
P: 142
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
That's fine! I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough, but I don't know how else to put it.

Please don't waste your precious time trying make sense of what I'm trying to ask, if you're finding it difficult to understand me. This isn't very essential anyway, just a minor curiosity.

Thank you for your attempt! :)

Register to reply