Complex analysis - LFT

In summary, the linear fractional transformation T(z) = (z2 - z1) / (z - z1) maps z1 to infinity, z2 to 1, and infinity to zero. To prove this, we can plug in the given values for z1, z2, and infinity and see that the resulting values are indeed consistent with the definition of infinity in complex analysis. It is also important to note that 0/0 and infinity/infinity are not defined in linear fractional transformations, so we must use limits or other methods to evaluate them.
sweetvirgogirl
Verify that the linear fractional transformation
T(z) = (z2 - z1) / (z - z1)
maps z1 to infinity, z2 to 1 and infinity to zero.

^^^ so for problems like these, do I just plug in z1, z2 and infinity in the eqn given for T(z) and see what value they give?
in this case, do i assume 1/ 0 is infinity then?
I just want to make sure I am taking the right approach

(also ... for complex analysis in general, it is safe to assume 1/0 is infinity?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's all correct. The thing you're asked to prove is only true when z1 and z2 are different, but I suppose the question intended that to be the case, so yes, just do what you said.

sweetvirgogirl said:
in this case, do i assume 1/ 0 is infinity then?

It is defined to be infinity, as is z/0 for any complex number z not equal to 0. 0/0 is not defined.

matt grime said:
It is defined to be infinity, as is z/0 for any complex number z not equal to 0. 0/0 is not defined.
what do i do with cases infinity/infinity and/or 0/0?

You cannot get LFTs which result in 0/0 or infinity/infinty. It is part of their definition: (az+b)/(cz+d) such that ad-bc=/=0

in that case,in 0/0 or inf/inf i think u should take limits and use lh rule.

haritshelat said:
in that case,in 0/0 or inf/inf i think u should take limits and use lh rule.

as already mentioned, 0/0 won't come up with a linear fractional transformation.

If f(z)=(az+b)/(cz+d) with a,c both non zero you will get infinity/infinity if you try to evaluate f(infinity) by a straight substitution. Usualy linear fractional transformations will define f(infinity) either as a limit or, what amounts to the same thing, simple as f(infinity)=a/c.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the application of calculus and other mathematical tools to analyze and understand the behavior of complex-valued functions.

2. What is LFT in complex analysis?

LFT stands for Linear Fractional Transformation, also known as a Möbius transformation. It is a type of complex-valued function that maps one complex number to another. LFTs are important in complex analysis as they can be used to transform and analyze complex functions and their properties.

3. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used in fluid dynamics to analyze the flow of fluids, in electrical engineering to study the behavior of electric circuits, and in economics to model financial systems.

4. What are the key concepts in complex analysis?

Some of the key concepts in complex analysis include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the Cauchy integral formula. These concepts are used to evaluate complex integrals, calculate residues, and analyze the behavior of complex functions.

5. How is complex analysis related to real analysis?

Complex analysis and real analysis are closely related as they both deal with the study of functions. However, complex analysis focuses on functions with complex inputs and outputs, while real analysis deals with functions with real inputs and outputs. Many techniques and concepts in real analysis, such as derivatives and integrals, can also be applied in complex analysis.