Advice for anyone applying to M.S. programs

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Richie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, when planning on getting a Master's degree as a terminal degree, it is important to ensure that the programs you are applying to actually exist. This was a lesson learned the hard way by someone who applied to Rice University's applied physics program, only to find out that the M.S. program listed on the website was only for Ph.D. students who changed their minds. This was done to prevent students from dropping out after two years with an M.S. degree. It is advisable to visit the schools and ask about the programs to avoid discrepancies between the website and the actual offerings.
Richie
Everyone has his own academic career course, but if you're planning on getting your Master's as a terminal degree, there is a lesson I learned the hard way: make sure the programs you're applying to actually exist. And I'm not joking.

Two years ago, I applied to Rice University's applied physics program at the Rice Quantum Institute. RQI's website claimed to offer both M.S. and Ph.D. programs, and the application said to check the "M.S." or "Ph.D." box, based on which program you were applying to. Since I only wanted an M.S., that was the box I checked.

Well, it turned out that Rice did NOT offer an official M.S. program; the M.S. program was only for already-admitted Ph.D.'s that changed their minds about getting a Ph.D.. So why did the application not specifically state this? Because for years, Ph.D. programs have invested their money (and time) in Ph.D. students, only to have them drop out after two years and leave with their M.S. degrees. Some students even plan this: they know going into a Ph.D. program that they'll drop out in two years with an M.S. degree. So, Rice (and also other universities) finally wised up and claimed to offer both programs, so that applicants would have no reason to lie; that way, Rice would know the applicants' true intentions from the start. And anybody (like myself) who checked the "M.S." box was automatically rejected for admission.

So I learned something the hard way: if at all possible, visit the schools you're applying to, and ask people about the programs. Lots of times, the websites and applications say TOTALLY different things than are actually offered at a university's physics department.

Physics news on Phys.org
wow, that's sort of messed up that they didn't change the application form. Thanks for sharing this!

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice for those applying to M.S. programs. It is important for applicants to thoroughly research the programs they are interested in and to not solely rely on information provided on the websites or applications. It is also wise to reach out to current students or faculty members to get a better understanding of the program and its requirements. It is unfortunate that you had to learn this lesson the hard way, but it serves as a valuable reminder for others to do their due diligence before applying.

1. What should I consider when choosing an M.S. program to apply to?

When choosing an M.S. program, it's important to consider the program's reputation, accreditation, faculty, curriculum, and resources. The reputation of the program can greatly impact your future career opportunities. Accreditation ensures that the program meets certain standards of quality. The faculty should be knowledgeable and experienced in their field of study. The curriculum should align with your academic and career goals. And the resources, such as research facilities and internship opportunities, can greatly enhance your learning experience.

2. How important are my grades and test scores in the application process?

Grades and test scores are important factors in the application process, as they demonstrate your academic abilities. However, they are not the only factors that admission committees consider. Your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and relevant experience also play a significant role. It's important to have a well-rounded application to increase your chances of acceptance.

3. When is the best time to start preparing for M.S. program applications?

The best time to start preparing for M.S. program applications is at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, prepare for required tests, gather letters of recommendation, and perfect your personal statement. Starting early also allows you to apply for scholarships and financial aid, if needed.

4. How many M.S. programs should I apply to?

The number of M.S. programs you should apply to depends on your personal preferences and qualifications. It's recommended to apply to at least 3-5 programs to increase your chances of acceptance. However, make sure to only apply to programs that align with your academic and career goals, as well as your financial situation.

5. How can I make my application stand out?

To make your application stand out, focus on highlighting your unique strengths and experiences. Make sure to tailor your personal statement and letters of recommendation to each program you're applying to. Additionally, gaining relevant experience through internships, research projects, or volunteer work can greatly enhance your application. Finally, make sure to proofread your application thoroughly to ensure it is free of errors and reflects your best work.