Long Division Puzzle: Solving for Unknown Values Using Long Division Method

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary: Sorry!In summary, the conversation is about a puzzle where the question is to divide a certain number by a two-digit number, with one of the digits being unknown (represented by x). The conversation covers different strategies for solving the puzzle and finding multiple solutions, but there is confusion around the exact wording of the problem. Ultimately, one of the participants solves the puzzle and provides an example solution.
Natasha1
I found in this book the other day the following puzzle (but the book did not give any answer), if someone can do this could you explain, step by step proceedings please as I just get no where.

The question is this:

We are given the following division (each x is an unknown value)

xx / xxxxxxx = xx8xx

Hint: Think the long division way!

Physics news on Phys.org
Each "x" is the same exact digit? Then the answer would have to be less than 1, wouldn't it?

You mean each x is a distinct digit (not necessarily the same) ?

Surely, decimal points are permissible, but in that case the solutions must be infinite, or are all the x's the same digit ?

arunbg said:
You mean each x is a distinct digit (not necessarily the same) ?

Surely, decimal points are permissible, but in that case the solutions must be infinite, or are all the x's the same digit ?

Yes each x is a distinct digit (not necessarily the same). Yes I forgot to say sorry sorry!
There is a remainder of xxx (3 dictinct digits)

Last edited:
Natasha1 said:
Yes each x is a distinct digit (not necessarily the same). Yes I forgot to say sorry sorry!
There is a remainder of xxx (3 dictinct digits)
How can xx / xxxxxxx have a remainder? The numerator has to be greater than the denominator for there to be a remainder, no?

berkeman said:
How can xx / xxxxxxx have a remainder? The numerator has to be greater than the denominator for there to be a remainder, no?

Sorry!

Of course it is:

xxxxxxx / xx = xx8xx with remainder of xxx

I think you're supposed to read it as divide xxxxxxx some 7 digit number (presumably the leading digits involved are never zero) by some two digit number. The quotient is 5 digits and the middle one is 8. Now, it doesn't make sense to say the remainder is three digits because the remainder on dividing by a 2 digit number is a one or 2 digit number.

Kinda' takes the fun out of the puzzle to have it misstated so many times, eh?

dead post - ignore me

Last edited:
3trQN said:
dead post - ignore me

well I managed to work it out anyway:

1089708 / 12 = 90809 with remainder of 108.

So there you go! :-)

But 1089709 / 12 =90809 with a remainder of 109

exercise: find a load more examples...

Hint: start with any number, like 88888, now let's pick some two digit number, oh, like 88, what's 88*88888... it's 7822144, now add you favourite 3 digit number, like 100, and you've got another solution...

so, what ought to be the real statement of the problem?

Last edited:
Natasha1 said:
well I managed to work it out anyway:

1089708 / 12 = 90809 with remainder of 108.

So there you go! :-)
Inversion over your original post?

We are given the following division (each x is an unknown value)

xx / xxxxxxx = xx8xx

Hint: Think the long division way!

matt grime said:
But 1089709 / 12 =90809 with a remainder of 109

exercise: find a load more examples...

Hint: start with any number, like 88888, now let's pick some two digit number, oh, like 88, what's 88*88888... it's 7822144, now add you favourite 3 digit number, like 100, and you've got another solution...

so, what ought to be the real statement of the problem?

Not sure MattGrime

1. What is the purpose of the Long Division Puzzle?

The purpose of the Long Division Puzzle is to help students practice and improve their skills in solving for unknown values using the long division method. It is a fun and engaging way to reinforce their understanding of this mathematical concept.

2. How does the Long Division Puzzle work?

The Long Division Puzzle involves using long division to solve for unknown values in a given equation. The puzzle presents a grid with certain values already filled in and some blanks that need to be filled using the long division method. Students must use their knowledge of long division to determine the missing values and complete the puzzle.

3. What skills does the Long Division Puzzle help develop?

The Long Division Puzzle helps develop several key skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical reasoning. It also helps improve students' understanding of the long division method and their ability to apply it to solve equations.

4. Is the Long Division Puzzle suitable for all ages?

The Long Division Puzzle can be adapted for different age groups by adjusting the complexity of the equations and the number of values provided. It is suitable for students in upper elementary grades and beyond, who have a basic understanding of long division.

5. Can the Long Division Puzzle be used as a teaching tool?

Yes, the Long Division Puzzle can be used as a teaching tool to introduce or reinforce the long division method in a fun and interactive way. It can also be used as a formative assessment to gauge students' understanding of the concept and identify areas for further instruction.