Arrangement Problem Solutions: 10 Trees

• Thread starter coldcell
  • Start date
In summary: That is, there are 10 choices in (b) and 10 choices in (c). In summary, there are 900 possible arrangements of the ten trees, including the empty set. Of the 900 arrangements, 220 have 1 tree in the first row, 220 have 2 trees in the first row, 440 have 3 trees in the first row, and so on. For the second problem, there are 10 digits for each of which you have 2 choices: how many choices is that? (You do recognize, don't you, that nC0+ nC1+ ...+ nCn= 2n? That's always true because it's just the sum of the binomial coefficients: (x+ y)n with
coldcell
1. Ten trees - four pines, four cedars, and two spruce- are planted in two parallel rows of five trees. How many arrangements are possible if each row must have the same composition of trees, not necessarily in the same order.

2. Suppose we want to creat subsets of the ten digits {0, 1, 2, ..., 9}
a) How many subsets can be created, including the empty set?
b) How many of the subsets contain only digits less than 7?
c) How many of the subsets contain 0 or 9?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are posting in this section, presumably you have read the guide-lines. What have you done on this problem yourself?

Oh, and is this really from a "calculus and beyond" course?

Just read the guide-lines :S. Actually I'm in Grade 12 and since I took Calculus last semester, I thought these questions are appropriate in this forum. Where should I have put it?

1. I tried many things, but the closest answer I can get is 900. Since the trees of each kind are the same, we only need to concern ourself with the first row, then simply square it.

So, I use 5!/(2!2!). 5 spots, 2 alike, 2 alike. This gives me 30. This times the second row, since for every combination of the first row, there is another combination of the second row.

Hence 30² = 900

However the answer at the back of the book is 225. No matter how I try, I simply couldn't get the right answer.

2. a) I solved this but I used a long method. I simply do (10 C 0) + (10 C 1) + (10 C 2) +...+ (10 C 10). This gives me the proper answer. I'm wondering if there is a shorter way of doing this.

b) and c), I simply have no idea.

My point was that you must show what you have tried first!

I get exactly the same as you on the first problem: 900.
Is it possible that they don't want to count arrangements which have the same trees in the same order, but with the rows swapped, as different?
That is: is
PCPCS
CPCPS considered the same as

CPCPS
PCPCS and so not counted separately?

For the second problem, the only question is "for each digit is it included in the subset or not?" That is, there are 10 digits for each of which you have 2 choices: how many choices is that? (You do recognize, don't you, that nC0+ nC1+ ...+ nCn= 2n? That's always true because it's just the sum of the binomial coefficients: (x+ y)n with x and y both equal to 1.)

Do the same for (b) and (c). In (b), the only digits to be considered are {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} and for (c) only {0, 9}.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "arrangement problem" in relation to trees?

The arrangement problem in relation to trees refers to the challenge of finding an optimal or efficient way to arrange a set of trees in a given space. This could involve considerations such as maximizing sunlight exposure, minimizing competition for resources, or creating an aesthetically pleasing layout.

2. What are some common solutions to the arrangement problem for 10 trees?

Some common solutions to the arrangement problem for 10 trees include using a grid pattern, clustering trees based on their species or size, or arranging them in a diagonal or triangular formation. Other factors such as the size and shape of the space, as well as the specific types of trees involved, may also influence the optimal solution.

3. How do scientists determine the best arrangement for a set of trees?

Scientists may use various methods to determine the best arrangement for a set of trees, such as computer simulations, mathematical models, and field experiments. They may also consider factors such as the trees' growth patterns, environmental conditions, and any desired outcomes (e.g. promoting biodiversity, reducing erosion, etc.)

4. Can the arrangement of trees have an impact on their growth and health?

Yes, the arrangement of trees can have a significant impact on their growth and health. For example, if trees are too close together, they may compete for resources and inhibit each other's growth. On the other hand, a well-planned arrangement can promote healthy growth and improve the overall health of the trees.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a particular arrangement for trees?

Yes, there may be potential drawbacks to using a particular arrangement for trees. For instance, a certain arrangement may work well in one environment but not in another, or it may not be sustainable over time as the trees grow and change. Additionally, a chosen arrangement may not meet all desired outcomes and may require ongoing maintenance to be effective.