What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,571
turbo-1 said:
Mmm! Just polished off the last of the huge vegetable sub from the artisan butcher-shop/deli. My wife took in two bags of garlic yesterday (equal amounts of German and Russian garlic) and told the proprietor that she could have them for $5/lb. She grabbed the bags, weighed them and paid up, then started showing the garlic to other customers in the store and drumming up interest. Her husband came out of the back and told my wife that the sample garlic she dropped off a few weeks ago was almost gone and that it is "the best garlic ever". Maybe I should have planted more...

Anyway, my wife bought some sliced sharp cheese, a ham, and one of their huge vegetable subs. After returning the cash from the garlic, she had to kick in another 18 cents. We both ate that sub for supper last night, and there was enough left over for me to have a nice lunch today. Tracy knows that we prefer hotter peppers, so she kept out the banana peppers and loaded the sub with crispy jalapeno slices instead. She's not a bit shy with the marinated mushrooms and ripe olives either. Great sandwiches!

re: bold: Given the recent talk here, you must be very pleased! :tongue:

For the rest... can I have your wife- NOT LIKE THAT!... just to buy cheese and such... :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,572
nismaratwork said:
OK, I can help!

When you first stuck your fork in the pie... did it meow?

:devil:
There's a cat in the kettle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjvvV9L_bs

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,573
Evo said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjvvV9L_bs

OK... that IS hilarious, and maybe just a little eerie... still, you are twisted sister!

"Once they wrapped it up in dough"

:yuck: :rofl:
:yuck:

• #3,574
nismaratwork said:
OK, You're worrying me! I think I'd go for eating my shoes before I ate a pepperoni cookie.

Unless... if this was during the Holi fesitval... yeah I could see eating that. :biggrin:

HOLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! I have always wanted to go :frown: But I have sensitive skin and fear the pigments *sigh*

• #3,575
Evo said:

Hey, food is food. When you're hungry, you learn not to complain. I've met jungle orphans in Peru, and they sure didn't complain.

My standards are quite a bit higher, but I can afford it. Most people throughout the world can't.

• #3,576
mugaliens said:
Hey, food is food. When you're hungry, you learn not to complain. I've met jungle orphans in Peru, and they sure didn't complain.

My standards are quite a bit higher, but I can afford it. Most people throughout the world can't.

I like my food a little less bright, and preferably not a domesticated animal. If I'm starving, I'll eat a person to survive, but as this conversation is occurring on the internet... eh.

• #3,577
My wife made shepherd's pie for lunch. No shepherds were injured in the making of the pie. Ground beef, onion, garlic, and jalapenos - all pan-seared, then combined with my home-made marinara and frozen corn with black pepper, paprika, etc, topped with a layer of mashed potato and baked. Nice comfort-food for a snowy (again!) day.

• #3,578
turbo-1 said:
My wife made shepherd's pie for lunch. No shepherds were injured in the making of the pie. Ground beef, onion, garlic, and jalapenos - all pan-seared, then combined with my home-made marinara and frozen corn with black pepper, paprika, etc, topped with a layer of mashed potato and baked. Nice comfort-food for a snowy (again!) day.
Mine is similar, I brown the ground beef, add two beef bouillion cubes, a cup of water and cornstarch to make a thick gravy/sauce, add corn, top with a layer of cheese, then a layer of mashed potatoes and baked.

• #3,579
There is usually a layer of sharp cheese under the mashed potatoes, but my wife is trying to cut back on both fat and salt... :-(

• #3,580
turbo-1 said:
There is usually a layer of sharp cheese under the mashed potatoes, but my wife is trying to cut back on both fat and salt... :-(
Two women were cooking on tv the other day and they said "do not dare use lowfat mayonaise in this recipe, use the real stuff. If you want to cut back, eat less of the real thing, you'll be more satisfied.

• #3,581
turbo-1 said:

...but... what's the point without fat an salt? I don't mean food... I mean LIFE! We're men damn it turbo, and you... a man who salted meats you had to kill and skin! Now you can't have your cheese... :cry:

Not OK ladies, not OK. You need to let us guys shellac our arteries with cheddar the way god intended! (it's somewhere in the bible I think). Yeah, we'll die young, but fat and happy.

• #3,582
Alright, here are the pictures. Sorry for the late post, I went to Buffalo, NY yesterday for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, it was delicious!

Attachments

• a 021.jpg
    a 021.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 349
  • a 024.jpg
    a 024.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 354
  • a 022.jpg
    a 022.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 371
  • #3,583
Kevin_Axion said:
Alright, here are the pictures. Sorry for the late post, I went to Buffalo, NY yesterday for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, it was delicious!

Oh god... I don't know why you would EVER eat out with those sausages. :loves:

Hey, I've never been to the CF either... it was good, not just the cheesecake?

• #3,584
Kevin_Axion said:
Awesome!

• #3,585
The best sausages I've ever had were hanging just like that, but from a shop along the edge of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_Lugano.jpg" . I bought some cooked ones, half a loaf of bread, and sat on the edge of heaven for a while devouring the other half.

• #3,586
Oh god, I have to get sausage for some meal tomorrow! I'll take links and mash, ANYTHING... those pictures and mug's experience has driven me to the brink of frenzy. I'm only sane now because I had some leftover rosemary-lemon chicken... BUT IT IS NOT homemade sausage. :cry:

• #3,587
nismaratwork said:
Oh god, I have to get sausage for some meal tomorrow! I'll take links and mash, ANYTHING... those pictures and mug's experience has driven me to the brink of frenzy. I'm only sane now because I had some leftover rosemary-lemon chicken... BUT IT IS NOT homemade sausage. :cry:

Lol, didn't mean to trip a wire, there nismaratwork!

Bangers and mashers, though.. Mmm! First time I ever had them was at the Bull Hotel, just outside of Fairford, England. I spent a few hundred dollars on old books in the town, too, and visited the cathedral and its incredible glass windows, learning that during WWII, they took out the windows and buried them to protect their incredibly lovely artwork.

• #3,588
I wanted to make beans, but I either use ham hocks or beef short ribs and I had neither, so I made chili beans out of them and they came out great. Nice to have during a blizzard.

Thanks to Kurdt for the vote for the chili. Although he used the vomit smiley when I mentioned the devilled eggs. He doesn't like eggs.

I LOVE EGGS.

• #3,589
Evo said:
I wanted to make beans, but I either use ham hocks or beef short ribs and I had neither, so I made chili beans out of them and they came out great. Nice to have during a blizzard.

Thanks to Kurdt for the vote for the chili. Although he used the vomit smiley when I mentioned the devilled eggs. He doesn't like eggs.

I LOVE EGGS.

Oh yeah, that is definitely good winter food!

Man, I'm in the mood for beans... and eggs now. Blegh.

• #3,590
Where is that barfing smiley? Eggs were on sale and I LOVE EGGS.

I made a delicious egg salad today, my dog, the Fruit Bat and I ate almost the whole thing. I want to believe he ate most of it, by my tummy is telling me differently.

Now I have a huge filet mignon, 2 inches thick, prime restaurant aged beef, and I can't even think about it.

Last edited:
  • #3,591
Deviled eggs are good, and so are curried eggs.

Eggs over easy on grits with hot sauce and bacon (or a good breakfast sausage) is a great breakfast.

• #3,592
My wife and I finished up the last of last year's beets with our supper on Saturday. Beets keep very well if you have cold storage or sufficient room in the 'fridge. Here is how we cook beets:

Wash the beets, put them in a foil packet with the edges sealed well, and pop them into the oven along with a baking potato or two (similar cooking times). When they're done, open the packet and let the beets cool enough so you can handle them with your fingers. Roasted beets peel VERY easily - just rub the peels off with your fingers.

Roasting produces the sweetest, tastiest beets ever. The peels keep the juices inside so you get all the flavor, unlike boiling or even steaming them.

• #3,593
Astronuc said:
Deviled eggs are good, and so are curried eggs.

Eggs over easy on grits with hot sauce and bacon (or a good breakfast sausage) is a great breakfast.

Lose the grits and substitute some corned beef hash and I'm in - just don't tell my Dr. or my wife.

• #3,594
Got a great deal on a pork butt, I'm going to make that heavenly pot roast.

• #3,595
I made some of those sushi cones, temaki, they're less trouble to make, but you takes bites out of it and I love dunking the smaller sushi into a soy sauce wasabi slurry that I make. Of course you're not supposed to do that, but I don't care, it's my sushi, and I like it.

A picture of temaki (not mine).

healthy-brown-rice-cones2.jpg

Last edited:
  • #3,596
I'm making a big batch of pizza sauce today. Last time, I modified my home-made marinara to make pizza sauce, but that stuff is so good on other dishes that I want to save it, so I've gone back to my original recipe, starting with peeled ground Pastene Roma tomatoes. Now, for hours and hours of simmering to thicken the sauce. Smells good already!

• #3,597
Here's how to do it. Take 1.5 lb of 93% hamburger, flatten on a pizza pan, cover liberally with onion powder, moisten with a couple of squirts of KC Master Piece and a couple squirts of Tariyaki sauce, (plenty for making it pack firmly into balls), blend in three dice chillies (hot ones). Sear on a Squirts then cover and steam on low. This give you time to drink several crafted beers. Once completed, cover with chili (I had left overs). Serve with fresh peas and you'll be in heaven.

• #3,598
dlgoff said:
Here's how to do it. Take 1.5 lb of 93% hamburger, flatten on a pizza pan, cover liberally with onion powder, moisten with a couple of squirts of KC Master Piece and a couple squirts of Tariyaki sauce, (plenty for making it pack firmly into balls), blend in three dice chillies (hot ones). Sear on a Squirts then cover and steam on low. This give you time to drink several crafted beers. Once completed, cover with chili (I had left overs). Serve with fresh peas and you'll be in heaven.

This is the only post on this page as I'm writing this, and I have no idea what it's in reference to... but I'm making this recipe asap. That sounds... REALLY good... lethal as hell, but worth it.

Evo: That's beautiful Evo! You downplay your talents don't you?! I mean, you talk about the more simple fare, but this is something I'd accept from a restaurant (visually of course). I love the placement of the salmon roe, and your use of cucumber? as a vertical accent.

Do you have experience in flower arrangment, because it seems like there's serious professional time behind this, or a lot of natural artistic talent.

• #3,599
Supper tonight was pizza and beer. Not just any pizza, but fresh home-made crust topped with the fresh home-made spicy pizza sauce I made yesterday, good cheeses (mozzarella and a little romano), ground beef, purple onions, black olives, and sweet red pepper. My wife and I have been trying a variety of dough recipes, and are narrowing in on favorites.

• #3,600
turbo-1 said:
Supper tonight was pizza and beer. Not just any pizza, but fresh home-made crust topped with the fresh home-made spicy pizza sauce I made yesterday, good cheeses (mozzarella and a little romano), ground beef, purple onions, black olives, and sweet red pepper. My wife and I have been trying a variety of dough recipes, and are narrowing in on favorites.

That sounds terrific! How are you making your dough, and have you tried proofing it?

• #3,601
dlgoff said:

nismaratwork said:
This is the only post on this page as I'm writing this, and I have no idea what it's in reference to... but I'm making this recipe asap. That sounds... REALLY good... lethal as hell, but worth it.
I'm surprised my post was even coherent. I steamed them on low long enough to partake in 64 ounces of my super crafted wheat beer. That might have had a little to do with why it tasted so good to me. :redface:

• #3,602
turbo-1 said:
Should I ever make a trip up there, I sure hope you'll let me in your house. :hint::hint:

• #3,603
nismaratwork said:
That sounds terrific! How are you making your dough, and have you tried proofing it?
I don't have tonight's dough recipe at hand - it's in one of my wife's countless notebooks and folders. This particular dough was a spread-and-bake variant, and she got the recipe from my cousin's wife (handed down through her family). No rising, so she made the dough and assembled the pizza in one go. Doughs that need to rise generally mean that I have to punch down the dough lightly and toss it to get it to assume a circular shape and thin uniformly. If dough is punched down too aggressively or is handled with too much flour, the crust can be too dense and tough. I am the pie-tosser around here. My cousin's young daughters used to love watching me make pizzas for our annual Christmas get-togethers. There are not many traditional pizza-makers around here, so they never saw dough getting spun and tossed, except maybe on TV.

• #3,604
dlgoff said:
Should I ever make a trip up there, I sure hope you'll let me in your house. :hint::hint:
If you show up, I'll feed you - just please be fragrance-free. Astro and his family managed it - twice.

• #3,605
turbo-1 said:
If you show up, I'll feed you - just please be fragrance-free.
Don't worry turbo. I understand perfectly.

Actually I just want you to know "Your the man". And a good one at that.