What is the relationship between monoids and groups in homomorphisms?

• Thread starter calvino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, Problem 1 asks for a subgroup of S with the property that any monoid homomorphism f: H-->S (H any group) has its image in G. Problem 2 asks for a monoid S such that there is no group G that contains S as a submonoid. Problem 3 asks for a free Abelian monoid over X which is isomorphic to the group of invertible elements of S.
calvino
I have the following problems to do:

Problem 1: Let S be a monoid. Find a subgroup G of S with the property that any monoid homomorphism f: H-->S (H any group) has its image in G.

Problem 2: Find a monoid S such that there is no group G that contains S as a submonoid

Problem 3: Let X be a set, and let ~ be the least congruence relation on F_Mon(X) with xy ~ yx for all x, y in X. Prove that F_Mon(X)/~ is a free Abelian monoid over X.

any help?

For problem 1, I was thinking simply the group consisting of the identity of S. since homomorphisms will take e_H (id in H) to e_S, the id in G and S... but i have a feeling also that that is wrong since we are looking for a subgroup that will hold all of H's image (at least that's what i believe the question is asking)

For 2, I was trying to think of some sort of monoid with elements that do not have inverses. that way no GROUP could contain it. I was looking at functions with composition... not sure where to look.

NOTE: i added Problem 3, which I am currently working on. So i'll keep you updated. for now, any insight would be great. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 2, functions with composition is definitely a good place to look. What is it you're not sure about?

For 1, isn't it just entirely trivial? Just let G be the biggest group in S, i.e. the group generated by all elements of S that have inverses.

you're right...i thought too much of 1. thanks

as for 2...it's just that i don't know when to give up. it seems as if it could be anything to do with functions.

***added another problem. =/

Last edited:
for 2, if we look at any monoid S with multiplication as an operation and O is an element of S, then this works...doesn't it? are there any others? I couldn't find what I was supposed to with composition. =S

I don't know what you're talking about. You were on the right track before. You want to find something without inverses, and most functions don't have inverses under composition.

my problem becomes..how do i construct such a monoid? (can u give me an example of a non-invertible function?)

Last edited:
Can you not think of an example of a non-invertible function?

no...is it not true that any non-invertible function can be made invertible? in a sense sine isn't invertible, if you consider the domain of ALL angles. what non-invertible functions were you thinking of? Even if I did know of one, how do i start to assume the set of functions is closed?

as for the last problem. i answered it like so...someone pls let me know if it is the right way to go.

in rough:
every element b of F_mon(X) for some X is of the form @(x_i)^(k_i) for all i, and k_i>=1, x_i <> x_(i+1). Here @ is the product concatenation. now, without loss of generality, say b= x_1^(k_1) x_2^(k_2) x_3^(k_3), and x_1=x_3. then b= x_1^(k_1) x_2^(k_2) x_3 ... x_3, k_3 times. since xy~yx, for all x,y in F_mon(X)/~, when we apply ~, we see that

b= x_1^(k_1) x_2^ x_3 (k_2) x_3 ... x_3, k_3-1 times

this construction continues until we get
b= x_1^(k_1) x_2^(k_2) x_3^(k_3)
= x_1^(k_1) x_3^(k_3) x_2^(k_2)
= x_1^(k_1+k_3) x_2^(k_2)
which means (f_mon(X)/~) =~ (f_abmon(X))//

calvino said:
for 2, if we look at any monoid S with multiplication as an operation and O is an element of S, then this works...doesn't it? are there any others? I couldn't find what I was supposed to with composition. =S

is this not correct for 2?

if we take Z equipped with normal multiplication, then no group can contain this monoid since 0 isn't invertible. it's much easier than the function example, to me anyway.

another example is the following: say we have three elements e (identity), a, b<>e in the monoid such that
e a b
---------
e| e a b
a| a e a
b| b a e

it cannot be contained in a group since ab=a -> a^(-1)ab= a^(-1)a -> b=e. are any of the above true satisfactory for the question?

Last edited:
For 1, you need the largest group that is a subgroup of the monoid: the group of all invertible elements of S. Since S is a monoid, it has an identity so that at least is invertible.

calvino said:
no...is it not true that any non-invertible function can be made invertible?

No. It cannot be made invertible.

For 2, in a group G xy=xz implies y=z. And remember ytou're trying to extend S to be a group...

Abelianness in 3 is trivial from the fact that xy~yx, so the freeness must come from the 'least' part...

Last edited:

1. What is a monoid in algebra?

A monoid in algebra is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a single binary operation that is associative and has an identity element. Monoids are often used to study abstract algebraic structures and have practical applications in computer science and physics.

2. How is a monoid different from a group?

A monoid is similar to a group in that they both have an associative binary operation and an identity element. However, a monoid does not require every element to have an inverse, while a group does. This means that a monoid is a less restrictive structure than a group and can include structures that are not groups.

3. What are some examples of monoids?

Some common examples of monoids include the natural numbers with addition as the binary operation, the set of strings with concatenation as the binary operation, and the set of square matrices with matrix multiplication as the binary operation. Other examples can be found in various areas of mathematics and computer science.

4. How are monoids used in computer science?

Monoids have many applications in computer science, particularly in the fields of functional programming and type theory. They are used to model data structures, such as lists and trees, and to define operations on those structures. Monoids are also used in algorithms and data compression techniques.

5. What is the significance of monoids in abstract algebra?

Monoids are important in abstract algebra because they are a fundamental structure that is used to study more complex algebraic structures. They also have connections to other algebraic structures, such as groups and rings, and can be used to prove theorems and solve problems in algebraic structures. Additionally, the study of monoids has led to the development of new areas of mathematics, such as category theory.