Calculating Speed from Acceleration and Time

• Thread starter wakejosh
  • Start date
In summary, the European sports car in question will accelerate at a constant rate from rest to a speed of 100 km/hr (28 m/s) in 8.00 s. After the first 5.00 s of acceleration, the speed will be 17.4 m/s. This can be calculated by multiplying the acceleration of 3.47 m/s^2 by 5 seconds. This information is correct according to the given kinematic equations.
wakejosh
can I just multiply 3.47 m/s/s by 5 seconds to get my speed after that amount of time? for example:

. A European sports car dealer claims that his car will accelerate
at a constant rate from rest
to a speed of 100 km/hr (28 m/s) in 8.00 s. What is the speed
after the first 5.00 s of
acceleration?

a.44.4 m/s b. 34.7 m/s c. 28.7 m/s d. 17.4 m/s e. 8.7
m/s

First I find the acceleration to be 3.47 m/s^2 now can i just times by 5? If so i get 17.4 m/s Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes that is correct

if u are in doubt you can always look at what you're given and your kinematic equations to get your answer

v=u+at
You are right in this context but make sure you have an accurate bearing of your question. It would not have been correct if the car did not start from rest.

1. Can I just multiply any two numbers?

Yes, you can multiply any two numbers as long as they are both real numbers. Multiplication is a basic mathematical operation that involves adding a number to itself a certain number of times.

2. Is there a specific order in which I should multiply numbers?

Yes, the order of multiplication matters. This is known as the commutative property of multiplication, which states that the order of the numbers does not change the result. For example, 2 x 3 will give the same result as 3 x 2.

3. What happens when I multiply a negative number with a positive number?

When you multiply a negative number with a positive number, the result will be a negative number. This is because negative numbers represent a decrease or opposite direction, and multiplying with a positive number will result in a decrease in value.

4. Can I multiply more than two numbers at a time?

Yes, you can multiply more than two numbers at a time. This is known as multiple multiplication, and the result is the product of all the numbers multiplied together. The order of multiplication does not matter in this case.

5. Are there any special rules for multiplying fractions?

Yes, there are special rules for multiplying fractions. To multiply fractions, you must first multiply the numerators together, then multiply the denominators together. The resulting fraction should then be simplified to its lowest terms.