Ideal Diode Equation: Research & Calc for Non-Linear Activity

• Thread starter impendingChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, Mikael is seeking information on chaotic behavior in diodes, specifically the derivation of the ideal diode equation and calculations for non-linear activity when over-reverse biased. They also inquire about applying empirical diode tests to quantum chaos through the Schrodinger equation. A suggestion is made to consult a textbook on solid state electronics such as S.M.Sze or Streetman for the derivation of the diode equation. There is also a mention of a personal experience with a diode blowing up when hooked up backwards, and a question about the extent of the "ideal" nature of the diode being discussed.
impendingChaos
i am conducting research in chaotic behavior within diodes, can someone please direct me to the derrivation of the ideal diode equation and more importantly for my research, the calculation required for non linear activity in a diode such as that which occurs when the diode is over-reverse biased. as an aside, does anyone have experience with making the results of empirical diode tests applicable to quantum chaos such as through the schroedinger equation?

-Mikael

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm moving this to "classical physics". I don't see how it has anything to do with "Calculus and Mathematics".

You will find a derivation of the diode equation in any standard text on solid state electronics. Try S.M.Sze or Streetman.

I once hooked up a diode backwards and it blowed up real good.

How "ideal" is this hypothetical diode you're talking about? Dead short forward, open circuit reverse?

What is the Ideal Diode Equation?

The Ideal Diode Equation is a mathematical model that describes the non-linear behavior of a diode. It relates the voltage and current of a diode based on its physical properties such as temperature, material, and doping concentration.

Why is the Ideal Diode Equation important in research?

The Ideal Diode Equation is important in research because it allows scientists to predict and understand the behavior of diodes in a non-linear region. This is crucial in the development of new electronic devices and circuits, as well as in optimizing the performance of existing ones.

How is the Ideal Diode Equation calculated?

The Ideal Diode Equation is calculated using the equation Id = Is(e^(Vd/Vt)-1), where Id is the diode current, Is is the reverse saturation current, Vd is the diode voltage, and Vt is the thermal voltage. This equation takes into account the exponential relationship between the diode current and voltage.

What is the significance of the non-linear activity in the Ideal Diode Equation?

The non-linear activity in the Ideal Diode Equation is significant because it accurately describes the behavior of a diode in both forward and reverse bias conditions. Without considering the non-linear activity, the behavior of a diode would be oversimplified and inaccurate.

How is the Ideal Diode Equation used in practical applications?

The Ideal Diode Equation is used in practical applications such as designing and analyzing electronic circuits, selecting diodes for specific functions, and predicting the performance of diodes under different conditions. It is an essential tool for engineers and scientists working in the field of electronics.