Question about wavenumbers and determining ?

• Thread starter philmccrevace
  • Start date
In summary, the normalized wavefunctions for a particle confined to move on a circle are given by w(o) = sqrt(1/2pi) e^-imo, where m = 0, ±1, ±2, ±3... and o is between 0 and 2pi. The goal is to determine the expectation value for o, which is denoted as <o>. The wavefunctions are already normalized, so the condition for normalization is already met. To compute the expectation value of o, we need to use the expectation value formula and solve for o. The answer according to the teacher is pi.
philmccrevace

Homework Statement

The normalized wavefunctions for a particle confined to move on a circle are w(o) = sqrt(1/2pi) e^-imo where m = 0, ±1, ±2, ±3... and o is between 0 and 2pi. Determine o

w = psi
o = the o with the vertical line in the middle

Homework Equations

Not sure what would be relevant in this case. I've tried e^-ix = cos x - i sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use the euler method, but I'm not sure how to solve everything to get the o on one side to solve. The answer according to the teacher is pi, but I have no idea how to get there. How do I do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have

[tex]\psi_m (\phi ) = \frac1{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-im\phi},\qquad\mbox{ where } m=0,\pm 1,\pm 2,\ldots\mbox{ and }0\leq \phi \leq\2\pi[/tex]​

There might be something missing from your question: specifically, we are to determine [tex]\phi[/tex] under what condition? It is not normalization, for the condition that wavefunctions [tex]\psi_m (\phi)[/tex] are normalized is already met. The following proves this:

In this case, the wavefunctions [tex]\psi_m (\phi)[/tex] are normalized if, and only if

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left|\psi_m (\phi)\right|^2 d\phi =1.[/tex]​

Indeed this is already so since

[tex]\left|\psi_m (\phi)\right|^2 = \psi_m (\phi)\psi_m^* (\phi) = \left(\frac1{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-im\phi}\right)\left(\frac1{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{im\phi}\right) =\frac1{2\pi} [/tex]​

where [tex]\psi_m^* (\phi)[/tex] denotes the complex conjugate of [tex]\psi_m (\phi)[/tex] and hence we see that

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left|\psi_m (\phi)\right|^2 d\phi =\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac1{2\pi} d\phi=1.[/tex]​

Thus the condition of normaliztion is already met.

I think it wants to know the expectation value for phi. The problem has phi like <phi>.

So how do you compute the expectation value of [itex] \varphi [/itex] ?

Daniel.

1. What is a wavenumber and how is it related to determining a property?

A wavenumber is a unit of measurement used to describe the size of a wave. It is defined as the number of waves that pass through a given point in one second. In science, wavenumbers are often used to determine properties such as energy, frequency, and wavelength of a wave.

2. How is a wavenumber calculated?

A wavenumber is calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its wavelength. The resulting unit is typically inverse meters (m^-1) or inverse centimeters (cm^-1). This calculation can be used to determine the wavenumber of any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves and sound waves.

3. What is the difference between wavenumber and frequency?

Wavenumber and frequency are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Wavenumber measures the number of waves per unit distance, while frequency measures the number of waves per unit time. Wavenumber is also inversely proportional to wavelength, while frequency is directly proportional to wavelength.

4. How is wavenumber used in spectroscopy?

Wavenumber is an important tool in spectroscopy, which is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. In spectroscopy, wavenumbers are used to measure the energy levels of molecules and atoms. This helps scientists determine the composition and structure of a substance.

5. Can wavenumbers be negative?

Yes, wavenumbers can be negative. This typically occurs when the wave is traveling in the opposite direction of the wave's origin. Negative wavenumbers are commonly used in spectroscopy to represent absorption lines in a spectrum.